September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 12: “Do the funky Gibbon”...Play anything ..as long as it’s FUNKY and a GOODY.

Pottery - Welcome to Bobby's Motel

If I were to be critical, I'd say this album is overly derivative of Talking Heads at their funkiest, with some LCD Soundsystem freak-outs mixed in... but when I'm listening to it, it's too much fun for me to care.

Capture+_2020-09-12-09-28-48.png

Day 12: “Do the funky Gibbon”...Play anything ..as long as it’s FUNKY and a GOODY

The Meters - Uptown Rulers! (Live on the Queen Mary)

So FUNKY and very GOODY

Drum note
This is from 1975 when Ziggy Modeliste was still the drummer, and he lays it down so smoothly...he makes it sound so easy to sit in the pocket and groove, then bust out at the perfect time with some killer spotlight moments. Monster funk drumming on display here.

20200912_125203.jpg

Day 12: “Do the funky Gibbon”...Play anything ..as long as it’s FUNKY and a GOODY.

Betty Davis - Betty Davis

The queen of funk herself backed by a fantastic group of musicians; it doesn't get much funkier or goodier than this!

Lafayette Afro-Rock Band - Soul Makossa (Topomic Music, 2018 VMP Classics Pressing)

Its been a long while since I last played this one! Funky for sure!

IMG_3758.JPG

Back