Secretly Society

i think that makes the decison to not subscribing on easy for me. It would be 360$ with international and VAT for a year, that is 30$ per LP and i think not worth it for me for coloured variants where i can get the indie versions of the title that interest me for cheaper at my local
$200 for 12 months isn't bad here in the US, just really liked the deal to entice me a little more. I haven't been into the offerings quite as much. Can be interesting stuff, but not always something I need on vinyl. May wait to re-up until something comes my way I know I want. Kinda out on all the subscriptions after this December one comes.

I'm guessing it hasn't been a great year for small vinyl labels so I'm not really surprised that there wasn't any significant discounts this year. The club's price is still pretty nice compared to others.

I'm guessing it hasn't been a great year for small vinyl labels so I'm not really surprised that there wasn't any significant discounts this year. The club's price is still pretty nice compared to others.
Totally. I'll be back in if I see a couple months in a row of things I'm digging. I do like the labels.

Yeah, I've turned off auto-renew for Secretly Society for next year. Too many meh records, especially with the introduction of Ghostly and Saddest Factory, to fork over the money.
I’m on the 3-month plan for just this reason. Ghostly and Numero are a little hit and miss for me already, and SF isn’t really developing into a thing I’m super excited about.

Former subscriber and I will echo that the Ghostly, Numero, and SF records have made the subscription worse and is a reason why I haven't returned. I get with vinyl delays that they may have needed to add more, but those labels aren't putting out things all that interesting to me.

They were super easy about letting me skip January and adding a month on to the end, just like @LiamGallagher’sBucketHat said. For $20/mo I still think they’re a solid value, so hopefully they don’t diversify too much. I have a suspicion a lot of these label-based subs didn’t really plan out the long game so won’t surprise me to see them trip a little.

I think I just received my last Secretly Society shipment honestly. This stuff just rarely sounds better than it does on HiFi streaming and the pressings always need a round of replacements. No longer worth it 🤷🏼‍♂️

Due to evidence of disturbing behavior, Saddest Factory Records is no longer working with Scruffpuppie, effective immediately. It is important to Saddest Factory Records, Secretly Group affiliates, and our entire community that we do not condone or support racism or abuse of any kind.

As such, we will no longer be offering Scruffpuppie's 'letters to nobody' as our Album of the Month for January 2022. In its place, we're offering a piece of this year's Jagjaguwar 25th anniversary campaign, V/A Join The Ritual on Glowing Orb Vinyl.

Join The Ritual pays homage to the labels and artists that, whether they know it or not, invited Jagjaguwar to the table, to this wild, dark magic ritual of music. We’re talking about independent titans like Drag City, Too Pure, K Records and Touch & Go. We’re talking about heroes like R.E.M., Slint, Stereolab and Tracy Chapman. These songs captured the imaginations of our founders Darius Van Arman and Chris Swanson — and ultimately, opened up worlds to them.
9c26AHq8Epq61hwwfpKzI1UGgjm2YEyAJ0EI1Df0u2gofAP9kPKpwUzakTBLj0xCKQYH8W1BPirOfnZty-kNV2omScBcC1I89HXrYkol1L8VKTpk-i67tfHlqUpgBOQYV4lnjhhb2lrYYVNbGZAaj0iyfzGYtI0=s0-d-e1-ft

That's not all, with all shipments of Join the Ritual in January, we'll include a mystery tote from our artist's merch offerings.

As always, you may choose to opt out of January and have an additional month tacked onto your subscription term.

I have no idea who Join The Ritual are. I'll have to check this out.

Intrigued by the mystery tote. Hope I get a Phoebe Bridgers. That would be totally awesome.

I have no idea who Join The Ritual are. I'll have to check this out.

Intrigued by the mystery tote. Hope I get a Phoebe Bridgers. That would be totally awesome.
It's a compilation album of covers:
Join the Ritual Tracklist:
01. Spencer Krug – “Red Dress” (Jad Fair)
02. The Besnard Lakes – “Good Morning, Captain” (Slint)
03. They Hate Change – “The Seeming and The Meaning” (Stereolab)
04. Angel Olsen – “Cold Blooded Old Times” (Smog)
05. Bruce Hornsby – “Feel The Pain” (Dinosaur Jr.)
06. Jamila Woods – “Fast Car” (Tracy Chapman)
07. Nap Eyes – “Car” (Built to Spill)
08. S. Carey – “Weight of Water” (Low)
09. Pink Mountaintops – “The Concept” (Teenage Fanclub)
10. Cut Worms – “One For The Catholic Girls” (Simon Joyner)
11. Okay Kaya – “Nightswimming”

Based on this I’m gonna uncancel January I think. I was teetering in ordering this one anyway.

I’m not gonna look up what this Scruffpuppie character did, but he looks like a douchecanoe so I believe whatever it is.

Yeah, I'm with you there about not looking up with he did. And I second that he looks like a douchenugget.

Secretly Store sale, 15% off. Code = NOTASECRET. Excludes pre-orders, new releases and I tried the subscription and doesn't work on that either.

I’d imagine no one is sitting on big piles of extra stock right now, probably not a ton of incentive to move stuff out. I’m just happy they didn’t boost the monthly sub price.
I hear you, but tell that to Target, UDiscover, Sound of Vinyl and a few others. In comparison, this sale is a bit...underwhelming. It's more the contrast to what they have done in the past that accentuates the reaction.

And while I understand the reasons for them skipping it, without their Black Friday subscription promo I don't see myself getting back on the Secretly train. It's still decent value, for sure, but decent value for 7-8 records in a given year that I wouldn't otherwise buy/spin ultimately doesn't have much appeal at this point. Not meaning to rain on any parades, it's just where I'm at in terms of collecting.

Last edited:
I hear you, but tell that to Target, UDiscover, Sound of Vinyl and a few others. In comparison, this sale is a bit...underwhelming. It's more the contrast to what they have done in the past that accentuates the reaction.

And while I understand the reasons for them skipping it, without their Black Friday subscription promo I don't see myself getting back on the Secretly train. It's still decent value, for sure, but decent value for 7-8 records in a given year that I wouldn't otherwise buy/spin ultimately doesn't have much appeal at this point. Not meaning to rain on any parades, it's just where I'm at in terms of collecting.
I mean the big boxes you mentioned operate on a completely different business model, so yeah, that’s gonna happen.

But I hear you on the subscription. I think that’s going to be true with a lot of the sub models, particularly the small label driven ones. They just don’t have the pool to draw from and I think there’s definitely a subscription fatigue hitting a lot of them.

They just emailed me about 15% off everything excluding New Releases with the code NOTASECRET at checkout. Cove valid through 12/15.

Back