Seattle / Tacoma / Washington

Anyone gonna be at Emerald City Comic Con this weekend, and/or have suggestions for a first-time attendee?

Alternatively, I won the pass for free and am not dead set on attending for all 4 days, so if y'all know of any good concerts or fun goings-on between Wednesday and Sunday, let me know!

Anyone gonna be at Emerald City Comic Con this weekend, and/or have suggestions for a first-time attendee?

Alternatively, I won the pass for free and am not dead set on attending for all 4 days, so if y'all know of any good concerts or fun goings-on between Wednesday and Sunday, let me know!
Itā€™s early this year or I guess technically late (I think in the past it has taken place in early March). I have sadly never made I am sure youā€™ll have a blast.

Last edited:

Are the Kraken home? Could catch a game. Hearing nothing but good things about the arena/experience

This will be the first time in years I haven't gone to at least a day of ECCC. It really depends on what you're into - I was mostly there to chat with comic book writers and artists, maybe take in the occasional panel. Depending on the guest (comic book or celebrity), lines can be long. They've done a good job in years past of providing quiet areas so you can take a break from the crowds. With the convention center expanding, not sure what you'll find around the construction, but the food options inside ECCC have been mediocre at best.

A friend was back in town visiting a couple weeks ago, and she said Downtown was pretty empty/quiet overall, except for Pike Place Market.

The Showbox is nearby (Thievery Corporation), Thundercat at The Paramount, Neumo's/Barboza a short walk up the hill, and The Crocodile is officially reopening in the new location so a bunch of bands booked in over the weekend. On the plus side, almost all of that is after ECCC is closed for the night so you don't necessarily have to choose.

My roommate is bumming it in Artist Alley (her first visit to the PNW).
(Shameless non-self promo.)

some great shows coming to town soon. i havent seen anything live in years and suddenly i see quantic, slum village, soul rebels, polyrhythmics and ghost funk all here in the new month. anyone here checking some shows out?

some great shows coming to town soon. i havent seen anything live in years and suddenly i see quantic, slum village, soul rebels, polyrhythmics and ghost funk all here in the new month. anyone here checking some shows out?

Have tickets for RATM that were delayed...again. One day I'll check out a show in the Tacoma dome. But who knows when that will be

Those sound like some fun ones too. We went to the Kevin Morby/Hamilton Leithouser show at the Spanish Ballroom back in early October. The next show We have tickets to isnā€™t until September to Pavement down at Edgefield. Always looking though.

Gonna be in Auburn for a Volleyball tourney this weekend. What are the go to's around there, thinking I might head up early Friday and hit a couple shops. Ooh, guess I could stop in Oly too if something might be worth it.

Gonna be in Auburn for a Volleyball tourney this weekend. What are the go to's around there, thinking I might head up early Friday and hit a couple shops. Ooh, guess I could stop in Oly too if something might be worth it.
Yeah, Auburn isnā€™t too exiting. Tacoma is on the way though, Hi-Voltage is the main shop they just expanded and now is has a book store too. Itā€™s a nice space to kill some time. There is also 3 smaller record shops along 6th Ave. that can be interesting. Jenku Land is my next favorite on the list. They are small but have a nice selection. Decent prices too. They sell on Discogs you can peruse their offerings to see if it is worthwhile (Google: ā€œJankuLand Discogsā€). Drastic Plastic is on 6th Ave also it is a bit of a free for all itā€™s gotta a small selection and is more of a head shop vibe. Still every now and then youā€™ll find something nice there. Turntable Treasures/House Of Records is a fun one if you have time and donā€™t mind digging, They have lots of records in varying condition poorly organized. Not to say that isn't any fun but if you have a time crunch or donā€™t feel like digging you might wanna head elsewhere. All 4 shops are on or just off 6th Ave which is a fun drag to get some food or a beer if your up for it. Red Hot is a nice Hot Dog tap room, MSM is a hole in the wall that makes tasty subs, E9, Dirty Oscars Annex, Trappers Sushi. If you have questions about anywhere else gimme a shout.

Last edited:
Yeah, Auburn isnā€™t too exiting. Tacoma is on the way though, Hi-Voltage is the main shop they just expanded and now is has a book store too. Itā€™s a nice space to kill some time. There is also 3 smaller record shops along 6th Ave. that can be interesting. Jenku Land is my next favorite on the list. They are small but have a nice selection. Decent prices too. They sell on Discogs you can peruse their offerings to see if it is worthwhile (Google: ā€œJankuLand Discogsā€). Drastic Plastic is on 6th Ave also it is a bit of a free for all itā€™s gotta a small selection and is more of a head shop vibe. Still every now and then youā€™ll find something nice there. Turntable Treasures/House Of Records is a fun one if you have time and donā€™t mind digging, They have lots of records in varying condition poorly organized. Not to say that any fun but if you have a time crunch or donā€™t feel like digging you might wanna head elsewhere. All 4 shops are on or just off 6th Ave which is a fun drag to get some food or a beer if your up for it. Red Hot is a nice Hot Dog tap room, MSM is a hole in the wall that makes tasty subs, E9, Dirty Oscars Annex, Trappers Sushi. If you have questions about anywhere else gimme a shout.
Awesome, thanks for the tips. Probably grab some lunch and a beverage around there then. Appreciate it!

Back