Seattle / Tacoma / Washington

Anyone here going to see Lee Fields at Neumos tomorrow night? I'm taking my little brother and planning to hit up that dope ramen spot Betsutenjin beforehand. Also a trip to Everyday Records in right across the road since I'm ferrying in from Kitsap...

I’m
I started buying in the 90s. You could get albums for change. I bought a Talking Heads record for 10 cents and picked up Zeppelin albums at the swap meet for 50 cents. In the 2000 oughts, I was living in Oly buying records for $2 a piece at Rainy Day. The market has definitely changed
I am always shocked at the pricing of stuff that isn’t listenable which to me is anything below vg+ by the goldmine standard. I’ll pony up for stuff in nice shape but who’s buying all these over priced beat up records because obviously people are buying them.

I’m

I am always shocked at the pricing of stuff that isn’t listenable which to me is anything below vg+ by the goldmine standard. I’ll pony up for stuff in nice shape but who’s buying all these over priced beat up records because obviously people are buying them.
This is my biggest pet peeve. Everyday Music is the worst when it comes to that kind of stuff. $30 for a sub VG+ Talking Heads Fear of Music.

This is my biggest pet peeve. Everyday Music is the worst when it comes to that kind of stuff. $30 for a sub VG+ Talking Heads Fear of Music.

The Everyday in Seattle is worlds better than Bellingham or Portland. All their stuff is fucked up and overpriced. I've actually had much better luck at this one.

Bop Street I can't even walk into

everyday on capitol hill is a great place just for the recent used bin. some is overpriced, some ive found great deals on. its in a college area so you know new shits always going to be overpriced. but fun for digging nonetheless. im a fan of jive time though - great shop, fun staff.

I think the best practice is to find a shop that specializes in a genre then shop for everything but that genre. If the owner is a classic rock dude look out for Hip Hop or Country. If they are a Jazz shop then find the metal section. It seems like I typically do pretty well a lot of times abiding by this rule.

everyday on capitol hill is a great place just for the recent used bin. some is overpriced, some ive found great deals on. its in a college area so you know new shits always going to be overpriced. but fun for digging nonetheless. im a fan of jive time though - great shop, fun staff.

I agree about the recent used arrivals section. That's all I've ever really purchased there aside from RSD stuff. The one in Bellingham doesn't put outer mylar sleeves on anything and they're overpriced, so you might find a great record that has just been unecessarily wrecked to shit by shelfwear and poor handling. The one in Portland is similar. High priced and bent up stuff. I've done alright at the one on the hill, like you have. I like Spin Cycle.

I think the best practice is to find a shop that specializes in a genre then shop for everything but that genre. If the owner is a classic rock dude look out for Hip Hop or Country. If they are a Jazz shop then find the metal section. It seems like I typically do pretty well a lot of times abiding by this rule.

I agree with this, too

Shouts to @Bloodlemons ! Great Angel Olsen concert last night! Thanks again!

It was a great show! Glad you could make it!

I tried to stop by your seats and say hi but the dude sitting where I thought they were was NOT you! I think I was probably on the wrong side of the section, but didn't have time to try again. Maybe next time!

It was a great show! Glad you could make it!

I tried to stop by your seats and say hi but the dude sitting where I thought they were was NOT you! I think I was probably on the wrong side of the section, but didn't have time to try again. Maybe next time!
Haha no problem! I wondered if you would be like right next to us or something but I didn’t want to ask anyone lol! The show was fantastic! She’s so funny haha. I wish she played True Blue but it is what it is :)

In case anyone is interested in late 90's indie rock, and doing something for free, I'm helping Latent Print Records with the release of the Western State Hurricanes "lost" record*. The release shows are Friday & Saturday at The Tractor (Sat sold out, < 100 tix for Friday), with another another band from that era Nevada Bachelors opening, but we're also holding a listening party at Life on Mars tomorrow night, starting at 7p.

*Many of the songs ended up on the first Long Winters album, albeit slightly rewritten

For sure it’s the most ubiquitous problem in Tacoma in my opinion, so many jazz records at turntable treasures were records that sealed might be $10 that were g+ for $15

I'm going to check in with Sonic Boom this weekend, and while it's likely too soon for definitive answers, it seems almost inevitable that RSD is going to have to change from the usual method.

It looks like Barboza, Triple Door (with limits), Tractor, and Substation are the only venues that are definitely attempting to remain open right now. The Sunset seems to be on a case-by-case basis. Even if they want to hold a show, a lot of bands are cancelling, anyway.

---

Edited to add a link to a working paper with modeling estimates for King and Snohomish Counties through April 7th. This is what could happen depending on varying levels of social distancing.

Social distancing intervention | Estimated infections | Destined deaths

Business as usual ////////////////////////////// 25,000 //////////////////// 400
25% reduction ////////////////////////////////// 9,700 ///////////////////// 160
50% reduction ////////////////////////////////// 4,800 ///////////////////// 100
75% reduction ////////////////////////////////// 1,700 ////////////////////// 30

Last edited:
Some good news locally, $750k in emergency funding allocated to live music venues. Much credit to Kate Becker for spearheading this, and Dow Constantine for listening.

I can't find the link right now, but there was a story this week about how the various record stores are dealing with the situation. I think it's great Easy Street has been doing home deliveries (especially with the WS Bridge closure), and I've seen friends post pics of it on IG. The owner of Sonic Boom said that he had COVID so he's been cautious about figuring out how to proceed. When they re-open, possibly middle of June, it will just be him working the store solo to minimize the number of people in the store at one time.

Sonic Boom just posted their plans for the first RSD drop. I talked with one of the buyers/Asst Manager on Sunday and he acknowledged that they were very uneasy about all of it. Even with the reduced number of titles, they don't do online sales so they needed to come up with a plan to still be able to sell records. He posited that if even 1/3 of their normal crowd showed up, and was good with social distancing, the line would snake down along Ballard Ave. I recommended a ticketing system, or an online system like Schedulista (Floodland Brewing has used it successfully, though with a lot fewer people), but for now they've decided to not try to deal directly with what happens outside their doors.

"Our current 10 customers at a time policy will remain for RSD.

Each customer will have 15 minutes max to shop. We know this is LAME. But, we need to find a happy median between those inside and those waiting in line. Our staff will be ready to help locate titles for you. That way you won't waste precious minutes searching.

We are happy to shop for you. When it is your turn to come INSIDE but you'd rather stay OUTSIDE, we can grab your records and check you out on the sidewalk.

As always, only 1 copy of any title is allowed per customer.

No holds allowed.

To the faithful that religiously camp out each year, please keep social distancing in mind.

We so appreciate all of the support surrounding this event. Record Store Day is very important to us. But you all are much more important. Please do your part in keeping the event safe and fun for everyone!"

Sonic Boom just posted their plans for the first RSD drop. I talked with one of the buyers/Asst Manager on Sunday and he acknowledged that they were very uneasy about all of it. Even with the reduced number of titles, they don't do online sales so they needed to come up with a plan to still be able to sell records. He posited that if even 1/3 of their normal crowd showed up, and was good with social distancing, the line would snake down along Ballard Ave. I recommended a ticketing system, or an online system like Schedulista (Floodland Brewing has used it successfully, though with a lot fewer people), but for now they've decided to not try to deal directly with what happens outside their doors.

"Our current 10 customers at a time policy will remain for RSD.

Each customer will have 15 minutes max to shop. We know this is LAME. But, we need to find a happy median between those inside and those waiting in line. Our staff will be ready to help locate titles for you. That way you won't waste precious minutes searching.

We are happy to shop for you. When it is your turn to come INSIDE but you'd rather stay OUTSIDE, we can grab your records and check you out on the sidewalk.

As always, only 1 copy of any title is allowed per customer.

No holds allowed.

To the faithful that religiously camp out each year, please keep social distancing in mind.

We so appreciate all of the support surrounding this event. Record Store Day is very important to us. But you all are much more important. Please do your part in keeping the event safe and fun for everyone!"

I emailed rainy day this morning to ask what their plan is. I'm not waiting in a line. I'm fine with shooting them an email with what I want and if they want to wait until end of the day to ring me up then I'm cool with that.

Back