Seattle / Tacoma / Washington

I emailed rainy day this morning to ask what their plan is. I'm not waiting in a line. I'm fine with shooting them an email with what I want and if they want to wait until end of the day to ring me up then I'm cool with that.

I likely wouldn't deal with getting to West Seattle for Easy Street, anyway, but very disappointed with them at the moment. They put up the same text on FB/Insta/Twitter that reads as if it's a normal RSD, nothing unusual going on.

Strict procedures for Everyday Music, including only 10 items per customer.

Headed to Seattle for a couple of days in two weeks! What are your top “can’t miss” coffee shops, restaurants, bars, or things to do?
I’ll let the actual Seattle residents provide you with the best spots in the city but if ya make a wrong turn on I-5 and end up in Tacoma, I’ve gotcha covered. Enjoy your trip, the Pacific NW is a beautiful part of the country.

Headed to Seattle for a couple of days in two weeks! What are your top “can’t miss” coffee shops, restaurants, bars, or things to do?

Porchlight Coffee and Records has you covered!

Easy Street of course, and they have food and coffee too.

Silver Platters.

I love Jive Time in Fremont.

Visit KEXP. There's a coffee chop in thr pu lic space and also the LITA store.

Great, I'll check out these options.

I love KEXP, but looks like they are still closed. :(
You might wanna check back before you head out. The Governor just opened up the state fully today. Seattle and King County may keep some restrictions in place but I think a lot of things will be “back to normal” by the time you arrive.

Great, I'll check out these options.

I love KEXP, but looks like they are still closed. :(

I know I've already made a lot of these suggestions, before, but...

The LITA Record shop is definitely open and it's in the "gathering space" at KEXP. I love Brad and he knows how to curate the selection there.

If you're in Fremont, check out Daybreak Records. My friend RJ worked at -- and basically ran -- Jive Time FOREVER, before leaving to start his own shop, because he was tired of the bullshit. If you're looking for crazy original pressings and stuff you're not going to find elsewhere, that's the spot.

If you're in Ballard, I recommend Sonic Boom records. I end up here most often. They have good prices and a variety and I like the staff.

My friend Kay from Sonic Boom also works at a little spot called Rossellini's not too far from there, which sells coffee and makes really great pastries. I went in just to visit her once, and now I keep going back. Everything I've had is really good, but I really like the Kouign Amann. They also do macarons.

It's also worth hitting up Un Bien for a sandwich at their Ballard location or the one near Golden Gardens. If anyone tells you to go to Paseo in Fremont, they are only Paseo by name and don't taste quite right -- I lived by it for years, when it was great. The business was sold, but not the secret recipe. The real staff and owners are now Un Bien. The Caribbean roast is their trademark sandwich that every shop in the city has tried and failed to accuratley imitate.

I like the Broadcast Coffee over on Rooselvelt, but I know they have 3 locations. A friend who used to work in that location, but now does some higher level stuff for them, got me drinking these things called Disco Ponys, which involves shots over sparkling water with lemon rind and a splash of half-and-half on ice. It sounded like something I would never want, but she was right and now I've drank a million of those things.

Another place for coffee that I somewhat reluctantly recommend is the Victrola Coffee Roasters on Pike and Minor. They have a spot further up the hill on 15th that might even be more popular but this is where they roast everything and you can see them doing it. My reluctance to recommend them comes from the fact that I worked there almost 10 years ago and quit the day my son was born, because they were trying to play me and my job got terrible. That being said, they definitely knew what we were doing and I'd have people come in from places as far away as Australia who knew about us and wanted to try the coffee. Of course, I'd have just as many out of towners who came in wanting to know where "the original Starbucks location was," as if that wasn't a shitty move to come into one establishment asking for another one. They wanted to drink burnt coffee where the infestation all began. See what single origin(s) they have going. They were always working with new beans and sometimes we'd get some real special stuff in that was crazy.

I should probably try and hype my wife's Seattle business in here, in the event that anyone could use her services, since I still haven't done that.

She opened a skin studio in Fremont where she does sugaring (hair removal), customized facials, dermaplaning, lash lifts/tints, etc. and will soon be offering micro-needling. If you need your face punctured or scraped, she can do it.

She's been an esthetician for 14 years and left to open her own space in September. After working at a spot for 11 years, where she was the lead estho, shit got weird with the new owners, after she -- and the 2 other longest-term staff members who no longer work there -- expressed concern with their open refusal to adhere to even the most basic Covid guidelines upon reopening. She's a lot happier now, but she basically had to start from scratch again, in a lot of respects, as she didn't have any opportunity to even grab her client list, especially since it was still during the temporary shutdown when this all went down. Old clients continue to track her down and business has been consistently growing through referrals, but... I'm tryna feed my kid and get a diamond suit, so... if you or someone you know could use her services, consider it. Plus, I make all the playlists she listens to while working.

She primarily does services for women, for the most part, unless they come from some sort of referral. If you have any skin related questions, though, she does offer free consultations that can even be done remotely. The unique thing about her is that she formulates almost 100% of the products that she uses and everything she retails. She studied organic cosmetic chemistry and reverse formulation and is some kind of wizard at this stuff now -- she's researching and formulating new stuff constantly. Some of her products are things I've watched her perfect over years and the cool part is that she's able to mix stuff up on the spot for clients, when she needs to, because she understands it all at a crazy level. Some of the stuff she sells are things she originally formulated for specific clients based on specific needs, like one who had a huge list of sensitivities, or pregnant clients, or someone with rosacea. So, it's kind of her passion and she winds up with a lot of people who felt like there was no solution to their problems, before she helped them, or are really surprised that there is minimal pain with the hair removal. I've witnesses former colleagues who own other business continue to call her and ask her for advice about their own clients.

Here are links to her instagram accounts. One is the studio/physical space and the other is for her products/formulations

Another thing is that, if you're planning to get a tattoo, one of her products has proven to be some miracle product for aftercare. Everyone that has used it for that claims they had zero flaking or peeling and their tattoos healed incredibly quickly and these have all been fairly large pieces. A tattooist in Everett is now carrying it.

If you do wind up booking anything, you can also mention me and you'll get a 20% discount.

Oh... and here's a post where she basically says what I just need, but smoother

Thanks, y'alls

I will second pretty much all of Dead C's recommendations, especially regarding Daybreak, Sonic Boom, Un Bien, and Broadcast Coffee. I've found that Spin Cycle in Capitol Hill has a really nicely curated selection, and Zion's Gate is also pretty impressive if occasionally overpriced (its mostly punk and metal focused, and there's a LOT, so it makes some sense). The drive/transport to Easy Street is going to be a major pain in the ass right now because of the bridge situation and regrettably it's probably not worth your time unless you want to make a full day out of visiting West Seattle... which is possible, but so far removed from the rest of Seattle that it can get inconvenient for an otherwise short trip to the city.

For things to do, the walk from "downtown" Ballard across the Ballard locks to Discovery Park is pretty great. You can make a whole day out of breweries, food, a farmer's market, the locks, Discovery Park, and Sonic Boom if you're there on a Sunday. Gas Works park is also worth checking out. Don't bother driving to Jimi Hendrix's grave unless you just have to do it, it's fucking boring. Find a picture. The EMP is not as underwhelming as Jimi's grave, but still felt a little overpriced and awkwardly laid out... like they don't quite have enough memorabilia to justify its existence. I love Nirvana and Hendrix, but the city can't help but rub itself raw over artists that BARELY could be considered "from Seattle."

As for food, if you're in a Nashville hot chicken mood, Sisters and Brothers in Interbay is seriously good and seriously hot. Fogón Cocina is pretty good affordable Mexican food in Cap Hill that stays away from the shittier tropes of mediocre NW Mexican spots, but if you're from San Antonio, probably just skip the Mexican food here entirely. Other than Piroshky Piroshky and Market Grill, don't bother with eating a meal at Pike Place as there are better priced options elsewhere. Look into happy hour sushi as it happens at a lot of places and you can get some pretty great deals (Umi; Wasabi; Japonessa). Get a late-night Polish dog with cream cheese, sriracha, and onions (I promise they're great). If you make it to Ballard/Fremont, you basically can't throw a rock without hitting a brewery, and they're all halfway decent-to-great (Reubens; Stoup; Lucky Envelope). I tend to avoid the ones with big gardens that allow children, because nothing ruins a nice calm situation like screaming snarling GoreTex-wearing tech bro spawn. But I digress...

I will second pretty much all of Dead C's recommendations, especially regarding Daybreak, Sonic Boom, Un Bien, and Broadcast Coffee. I've found that Spin Cycle in Capitol Hill has a really nicely curated selection, and Zion's Gate is also pretty impressive if occasionally overpriced (its mostly punk and metal focused, and there's a LOT, so it makes some sense). The drive/transport to Easy Street is going to be a major pain in the ass right now because of the bridge situation and regrettably it's probably not worth your time unless you want to make a full day out of visiting West Seattle... which is possible, but so far removed from the rest of Seattle that it can get inconvenient for an otherwise short trip to the city.

For things to do, the walk from "downtown" Ballard across the Ballard locks to Discovery Park is pretty great. You can make a whole day out of breweries, food, a farmer's market, the locks, Discovery Park, and Sonic Boom if you're there on a Sunday. Gas Works park is also worth checking out. Don't bother driving to Jimi Hendrix's grave unless you just have to do it, it's fucking boring. Find a picture. The EMP is not as underwhelming as Jimi's grave, but still felt a little overpriced and awkwardly laid out... like they don't quite have enough memorabilia to justify its existence. I love Nirvana and Hendrix, but the city can't help but rub itself raw over artists that BARELY could be considered "from Seattle."

As for food, if you're in a Nashville hot chicken mood, Sisters and Brothers in Interbay is seriously good and seriously hot. Fogón Cocina is pretty good affordable Mexican food in Cap Hill that stays away from the shittier tropes of mediocre NW Mexican spots, but if you're from San Antonio, probably just skip the Mexican food here entirely. Other than Piroshky Piroshky and Market Grill, don't bother with eating a meal at Pike Place as there are better priced options elsewhere. Look into happy hour sushi as it happens at a lot of places and you can get some pretty great deals (Umi; Wasabi; Japonessa). Get a late-night Polish dog with cream cheese, sriracha, and onions (I promise they're great). If you make it to Ballard/Fremont, you basically can't throw a rock without hitting a brewery, and they're all halfway decent-to-great (Reubens; Stoup; Lucky Envelope). I tend to avoid the ones with big gardens that allow children, because nothing ruins a nice calm situation like screaming snarling GoreTex-wearing tech bro spawn. But I digress...

I don't make it up to the hill enough, but I really did like Spin Cycle ftom the times I've been in there. I've still never made it to Hex Induction, though, and I'd like to.

Also, thanks for reminding me about Sisters & Brothers. I wanted to try that place, at one point, but forgot what it was called. I've only had hot chicken in Nashville.

I don't make it up to the hill enough, but I really did like Spin Cycle ftom the times I've been in there. I've still never made it to Hex Induction, though, and I'd like to.

Also, thanks for reminding me about Sisters & Brothers. I wanted to try that place, at one point, but forgot what it was called. I've only had hot chicken in Nashville.

I'd never even heard of Hex Induction, and now I have something to do this weekend!

heres me recs:

best burger: swinery in west seattle

record shops: jive time, light in the attic, spin cycle, silver platters, easy street

ice cream: molly moons, old school frozen custard

and try ba bar in seattle. affordable. great food, drinks, and pastries.

@Dead C @Chimichanga @TenderLovingKiller® @Benhawaii
Thanks for the recommendations guys! 🔥

any great fancy restaurant? Trying to find a place for our anniversary dinner… 👀
El Gaucho is my go-to for anniversary-type events. Steakhouse, excellent food overall, attentive and polite service, great bar. Not cheap, but tonight is kinda special!

any great fancy restaurant? Trying to find a place for our anniversary dinner… 👀
I don’t know how fancy you are looking for or if you dig oysters but The Walrus and The Carpenter is a really nice oyster bar. Oyster’s are a regional delicacy so it may be a good option to explore.

Don't want to presume on your budget, but *the* place for a fancy dinner is Canlis

General agreement with above that if you like fresh seafood, this is a great city for it (and W&C is fantastic for oysters), you may also want to look at places like Matt's in the Market or Manolin for a fancy dinner.

El Gaucho is my go-to for anniversary-type events. Steakhouse, excellent food overall, attentive and polite service, great bar. Not cheap, but tonight is kinda special!

They're opening one of these by me. Looking forward to trying it

Back