RSD 2020

Cross post from Jazz thread.

For the UK people, as I don't think this one is on the UK RSD list. But If anyone is interested in the Dexter Gordon RSD release, Presto Classical/Jazz have the Dexter Gordon Squirrel (vinyl edition) available for pre-order, at a good price with free shipping.

There is a fault on the listing as it indicates a CD format, but it clearly describes the vinyl product and the product number returns the RSD edition if you google it.

They also have the Monk Palo Alto release at a reasonable price if anyone is still looking to pick that up.

...Wish I was as excited about the Dizzy Gillespie/Charlie Parker Town Hall RSD album, but quality is generally poor and really inconsistent throughout. The first track sounds like the mic was placed right in front of the bass drum, then things shift, with a less drum-centric mic placement, but the volume varies significantly within cuts. Assuming there isn’t anything here specific to my copy, and I doubt it’s specific, I wish this kind of thing would be advertised for what it is, which in this case would be akin to a poorly recorded bootleg.

I’m a little relieved to hear this, since this was the only release on my list that I missed out on. I thought about shelling out for it on discogs or ebay but the prices were too much for me. But if you’re thinking about selling your copy on one of those sites, you should be able to recover your investment a few times over at least!

Are there schedules for online drop times? My local I've been going to just posted stock and isn't getting what I want in. I posted in the want thread here but was also going to gamelan online drops too

The Primus is also going to be released later on, similar to the Claypool’s Frog Brigade they did last November. Both were colored variants and still easy to find.
Good to know. I didn’t mind that Claypool was released later but the later variant was sweeter than the RSD!

Yeah, I’ll be out for other stuff anyway so I’m gonna pick this up. I love early Primus and particularly this release. I put this CD on so many times.
Agree. I think this is the very last Primus I want/need in my collection. My cut off is anything after “Animals”

Agree. I think this is the very last Primus I want/need in my collection. My cut off is anything after “Animals”
Same here. I’ve got everything through “Tales from the Punchbowl” and I’m pretty happy with that. After “Tales,” I prefer Claypool’s spin-off projects more (I NEED an Oysterhead reissue!). Perhaps my favorite in the collection is this bootleg I came across at my local a few months ago, recorded just a few days before the March excerpts from “Suck On This.” It’s a radio broadcast from a Stanford radio station and to me, quintessential Primus.

hopefully comeback will have a bunch of replacements no problem. thats my only "must get" this month and every other one is a maybe at best.

I am torn between the Nativity In Black or the Wall.

HOWEVER, I am always meaning to branch out and look for something different I may not know or think much off that I may find cool.

Any suggestions for this?

I am torn between the Nativity In Black or the Wall.

HOWEVER, I am always meaning to branch out and look for something different I may not know or think much off that I may find cool.

Any suggestions for this?
Just rock or other genres? It’s a dangerous game to get into the recommendation business but willing to throw out a few no-warranties-or-guarantees recs that you can take or leave. That said NIB is an awesome album that I will definitely be picking up after playing the CD in ‘90s until the ink came off.

Back