RSD 2020

My past experiences with “RSD First” titles does not engender an unwavering confidence in additional reissues. Same goes for”RSD Exclusives” not being reissued. I can point to examples of both that did not turn out the way they were represented by RSD. That being said, if there is money to be made. I am sure it will get reissued.

From Aimee Mann's interview earlier in the week

There are only 5,000 copies pressed, which seems low, looking at how instantly some Record Store Day titles have gone recently in quantities of about that size that have far less repute as a classic than this one. Is this a one-time pressing or will there be a separate edition later on that’s not limited?

I don’t know! Listen, if I thought people were really clamoring for it, I’m sure I would press up some more.

From Aimee Mann's interview earlier in the week

There are only 5,000 copies pressed, which seems low, looking at how instantly some Record Store Day titles have gone recently in quantities of about that size that have far less repute as a classic than this one. Is this a one-time pressing or will there be a separate edition later on that’s not limited?

I don’t know! Listen, if I thought people were really clamoring for it, I’m sure I would press up some more.

That's a great interview. Thanks!

Bummed, my 2nd LP of Bill Evans had a nice scratch on it fresh out of the sleeve. The store I got it from is now sold out so I contacted Resonance Records for a replacement LP. Has anyone else have this happen on a RSD item and have any luck getting a replacement?

Bummed, my 2nd LP of Bill Evans had a nice scratch on it fresh out of the sleeve. The store I got it from is now sold out so I contacted Resonance Records for a replacement LP. Has anyone else have this happen on a RSD item and have any luck getting a replacement?
I have not. You should try to return it for your money back. Plus, everything I've read about this release states that the recording sounds terrible and originates from the drummers personal tape recorder. Really poor reviews on discogs.

I ordered from Plaidroom and am contemplating canceling before it ships. I might call them tomorrow.

I have not. You should try to return it for your money back. Plus, everything I've read about this release states that the recording sounds terrible and originates from the drummers personal tape recorder. Really poor reviews on discogs.

I ordered from Plaidroom and am contemplating canceling before it ships. I might call them tomorrow.
I also saw some of those reviews on discogs, but I would not say it sounds terrible at all. While it may not be an audiophile recording, it is an enjoyable listen to my ears.

Resonance customer service are fantastic. I had an issue where they sent the A/B side of a 2lp set twice by accident and, although it took a while because of Covid, they sent me a replacement from the US. Then the other month I ordered their Bill Evans LP from a UK shop and the gatefold had a split, so I emailed Resonance and they sent out a replacement again.

Resonance customer service are fantastic. I had an issue where they sent the A/B side of a 2lp set twice by accident and, although it took a while because of Covid, they sent me a replacement from the US. Then the other month I ordered their Bill Evans LP from a UK shop and the gatefold had a split, so I emailed Resonance and they sent out a replacement again.
Great to Hear! Hopefully I hear back with good news then! :D

Great to Hear! Hopefully I hear back with good news then! :D
If you don't hear back its worth messaging Zev Feldman on Facebook, he's really active on some of the jazz groups there and has been messaging each person offering replacements/help when they have commented about any issues they have had with the current Resonance releases.

From my understanding the Bill Evans is more an archival recording to enjoy rather than an audiophile full on listen. Still it sucks to hear about defects..... I can’t open any of my records until Christmas so I hope they are all fine.
I can appreciate that. But if it's archival, lo fi audio, why keep the $50 price tag? Probably should be closer to $25 or $35, imo.

I can appreciate that. But if it's archival, lo fi audio, why keep the $50 price tag? Probably should be closer to $25 or $35, imo.
Worth mentioning that Resonance is not for profit and actively seek to give the artists a fair share of the money. From what I have heard they go out of their way to make sure the family is involved and open to having the music released, and contact all the musicians involved in the original recording to make sure they get paid as well.

I agree that they are not cheap releases at all (especially the Rollins 3lp set) but with the above info factored in and the fact that they are unreleased recordings its somewhat justified to me.

It’s the main problem from a consumer’s perspective with all the “limited” preorders in general and everything RSD in particular. If you wait for proper reviews from people who actually have the items in hand to listen to and examine it is sold out and only available on the flippers market.

So you are forced to buy slightly overpriced items blindly either from past experience with the label or pure FOMO. The first few RR RSD releases were so good that anything they put out on RSD becomes an instant on the want/but lists. My copy is on its way. I’m keeping an open mind and looking forward to playing it but this one may not be the killer “go to” live set to do system demos with.

In a YouTube video RR hinted/indicated there is more Bill Evans in the pipeline. For sure the label is capable of hitting a home run.

DustyGroove just opened orders on Chris Cornell. Their order system is not real time but it hasn’t been up to long.

Available here as well.

Back