RSD 2020

Has anything been announced as far as online orders or preorders for the RSD releases? Or is the plan so far that you'd have to go to a store in person to get the first shot at picking these up?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for a store in Portland (OR) to visit on RSD? I'm guessing Music Millennium will probably be getting the largest shipment in the area, right?

Has anything been announced as far as online orders or preorders for the RSD releases? Or is the plan so far that you'd have to go to a store in person to get the first shot at picking these up?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for a store in Portland (OR) to visit on RSD? I'm guessing Music Millennium will probably be getting the largest shipment in the area, right?

Didn't know you'd be in Portland for the month, cool!
I'm only looking for one item (Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom EP) and I'm gonna try 2nd Ave Records. You're right; MM will probably have the largest shipment.

Didn't know you'd be in Portland for the month, cool!
I'm only looking for one item (Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom EP) and I'm gonna try 2nd Ave Records. You're right; MM will probably have the largest shipment.

August is so amazing here compared with the humidity in DC, so I always try to get out here for the month. Also, this year, it's way easier to catch Blazers games on TV in Portland than in DC haha.

I've never been to 2nd Ave Records, but maybe I'll be able to check it out. I'll keep an eye out at MM for a Vroom Vroom for you and can try to snag it for you if you think it might be tough to find.

I'm confused on the Record Store Day website with the list of stores and what options they're planning to have for purchasing - like how would curbside pick-up work? Does that just mean you'd wait in line outside on the sidewalk? or would you be able to preorder and have them set aside to pick up that day? That sounds too good to be true.

It's my understanding that stores can start selling online at 1pm EST

I've never been to 2nd Ave Records, but maybe I'll be able to check it out.

2nd Ave is in my top 3 for the Portland area. They do a pretty solid job of keeping the new releases in stock and often have the color/indie variants months after they are unavailable at other stores.

I'll keep an eye out at MM for a Vroom Vroom for you and can try to snag it for you if you think it might be tough to find.

I would really appreciate that. The pressing qty is only 2000, and I anticipate they will be all gone on the first day; this repress has been highly requested by fans.

from what i understand, it varies with how each store is handling the drops, so your best choice is to hit up your record store (thru phone or social media or w.e.) and ask them what they’re doing.

Does someone have the list for the Aug drop handy? (Yes I'm lazy and don't feel like googling)
They’re all mixed in together, so it’s kind if annoying to sort through on the site: https://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/572

The august drops I’m interested in are:
  • Charlie Parker, Jazz at Midnite
  • The Magic Numbers, s/t
  • Robyn, s/t
  • Gorilla, g-sides
  • Gorillaz, d-sides

idk if it's just me, but i feel like they spread out the RSD releases sooo unevenly. for me, my wants list is all on August, and only like two releases on October. It's like this first August drop has all the popular stuff, and the other dates have the rest.

Jackpot Records generally gets a ton too.

Any UK people here have any idea what's even going on for RSD here? My local have emailed to say they are doing online only from 6pm, but then places like Rough Trade are opening as usual. Such a mess

So it seems like it's just to the discretion of each individual store. Sums up how our government has handled the pandemic really, no firm decisions and just leaving it to individuals to 'do the right thing'.

Yes that's how it looks like. I like how it is working in France. Every single August release is up for pre-order. Record collectors and flippers can choose between going to the shop on the day to pick up their pre-orders or go a few days/weeks later or have everything shipped to their doors. Shops can maintain the even if they want and order less stock depending on what they know they will sell. I sincerely don't understand why it is not the same in other countries. It is ridiculous to ask people to queue in lines for hours with this Covid-19 shitty situation.

Yes that's how it looks like. I like how it is working in France. Every single August release is up for pre-order. Record collectors and flippers can choose between going to the shop on the day to pick up their pre-orders or go a few days/weeks later or have everything shipped to their doors. Shops can maintain the even if they want and order less stock depending on what they know they will sell. I sincerely don't understand why it is not the same in other countries. It is ridiculous to ask people to queue in lines for hours with this Covid-19 shitty situation.
I really wish they were doing that here. Seems like a win-win to me.

Does anyone have experience with a label called "Premium Cool"? It looks like they're releasing a Dizzy Gillespie/Charlie Parker album "Town Hall, New York City, June 22, 1945" as part of the August drop.

Back