RSD 2020

I understand that the cancellation of June RSD will be announced tomorrow.
Damn. I really hope they find SOME kind of way to still do it online. Give out numbers? Lottery? I dunno, but it would be a way to support local stores and artists.

You can still support your local without the gimmick.
Totally agree. That being said, from owners I have spoken to locally, RSD is a BIG day for them financially, like the difference between them finishing the year in the black vs. the red big and if there was a time most of these businesses could use an influx of $ now is the time.

I understand the financial implications that RSD brings to the stores but if the above statement is true and it’s going to be cancelled, then take the $100 or however much you were going to spend this year and spend it on used or new records that are already in the store.

I’m so confused still in how this will look...I just want those gorillaz :)

What I'm honestly hoping is with the extra time allowed, they up the quantities and make all of these indie Exclusives. This will be a win for everyone IMO (except the f'king scalpers). Plenty for everyone to get what they wanted, without the huge lines or insane cost on one day, and all the money goes to Indie record stores.

This actually seems like a worse idea. Even if you publish the list ahead (X will be available in August, Y in September) this will now spread the crowds out over several days. What are the chances the items you want are all available on the same weekend?

It is very likely that our province will not allow crowds of over 50 people before Labour Day.

Sadly I think the only responsible solution was that RSD sell material online only and share the funds with participating stores.

What I'm honestly hoping is with the extra time allowed, they up the quantities and make all of these indie Exclusives. This will be a win for everyone IMO (except the f'king scalpers). Plenty for everyone to get what they wanted, without the huge lines or insane cost on one day, and all the money goes to Indie record stores.

Exactly this. There is no point to have a "normal" event this year. Press as much records as public requires and press more if more is asked. It's time to help record shops save their business. They should even open pre-order lists for record stores so they can order the exact amount of records they need.

This actually seems like a worse idea. Even if you publish the list ahead (X will be available in August, Y in September) this will now spread the crowds out over several days. What are the chances the items you want are all available on the same weekend?

It is very likely that our province will not allow crowds of over 50 people before Labour Day.

Sadly I think the only responsible solution was that RSD sell material online only and share the funds with participating stores.

I don't think they are counting on crowds. That's why they are calling them drops.

Wonder if this is going to replace RSDBF too, Oct 24 is pretty late in the year

Agreed, but it's possible that is the solution. The announcement was kinda premature and they "don't know what sort of rules will be in place"

This is only if they stick with the original pressing numbers. If they up them and allow stores to sell online as well, just make them TRUE indie exclusives (with no alternative pressings on Amazon, etc), this would hopefully eliminate the needs for large crowds and lines day one. At least to the extent that RSD normally is.

Back