Record cleaning - what's your method?

Hi guys, wondered if you could help me with something. I bought a record at a carboot (super cheap at 50p so if theres no hope then its not the worst thing in the world) and there appears to be mold/mildew spots on one side. The other side is strangely spotless, but the other side has it pretty bad. I have looked online and they suggest using isopropyl alcohol and soap, leaving it to soak for a few minutes, then wiping it off carefully. My concern is that with all the videos I have seen it appears to be a different type of mold which covers the whole vinyl, not spots like this. Anyone have any advice?

IMG_9843.JPG

Hi guys, wondered if you could help me with something. I bought a record at a carboot (super cheap at 50p so if theres no hope then its not the worst thing in the world) and there appears to be mold/mildew spots on one side. The other side is strangely spotless, but the other side has it pretty bad. I have looked online and they suggest using isopropyl alcohol and soap, leaving it to soak for a few minutes, then wiping it off carefully. My concern is that with all the videos I have seen it appears to be a different type of mold which covers the whole vinyl, not spots like this. Anyone have any advice?

View attachment 56702

Oooohh! Manu Dibango! 👍🏻

This would be a record where I might finally try Scrubbing Bubbles or wood glue.

Oooohh! Manu Dibango! 👍🏻

This would be a record where I might finally try Scrubbing Bubbles or wood glue.

Thanks so much for this, I will give it a try! Im starting to think it's stained in. I used the alcohol and soap twice now and while the record itself looks incredibly clean now, the spots haven't even faded. Hopefully this other trick works.

Thanks so much for this, I will give it a try! Im starting to think it's stained in. I used the alcohol and soap twice now and while the record itself looks incredibly clean now, the spots haven't even faded. Hopefully this other trick works.

In that case, I’d try the wood glue method.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good cleaning brush? The wood handle one from Okki Nokki keeps cracking and then the hair sections start to fall out. I'm on brush #3 now since i got the Okki Nokki in April of last year.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good cleaning brush? The wood handle one from Okki Nokki keeps cracking and then the hair sections start to fall out. I'm on brush #3 now since i got the Okki Nokki in April of last year.

I like my VPI brush. If the brush itself gets worn, you can get a replacement brush insert to put into the original metal hande.

I'm gonna agree with @HiFi Guy, I'm still using the original brush from my VPI and it's perfect......and I've had it almost 3 years ;)

I've got a record keeper brush that's already starting to fall apart. May pick one of these up once that happens!

I like my VPI brush. If the brush itself gets worn, you can get a replacement brush insert to put into the original metal hande.

I'm gonna agree with @HiFi Guy, I'm still using the original brush from my VPI and it's perfect......and I've had it almost 3 years ;)

Thanks! I'll add it to the shopping list 😬 (y)

Anyone seen this happen to their TTVJ fluid before? Looks almost like mold.

View attachment 59296

I had that happen to my first bottle of TTVJ. Eventually, it also affected the TTVJ concentration as lumps of fungi started to come out. I think it was due to storage so when i got a second bottle of TTVJ, i've been storing that and the solution in a cabinet in the garage where there's no sunlight and cool. There's been no problem with it since.

It's been two years, and I finally kicked my concentrate of TTVJ Vinyl Zyme. I, like many on here, had issues with the growth happening. This time around, I'm gonna only make one squeeze bottle at a time to try to prevent that from happening.

It's been two years, and I finally kicked my concentrate of TTVJ Vinyl Zyme. I, like many on here, had issues with the growth happening. This time around, I'm gonna only make one squeeze bottle at a time to try to prevent that from happening.

This has worked for me. I have a couple of graduated cylinders that I use to make ~130mL of the stuff at a time, which is enough to clean twenty or so records. Have not had any issues with growth since the fluid never sits around long enough to develop any.

Just spent way too much money on a 2 oz. concentrate bottle of TTVJ Vinyl Zyme and a 12 pack of Aquafina water bottles. My wife was like "We have water bottles!"

They're store brand. Cuhmahhhnn.

Welp, the last 2 oz. concentrate lasted me literally two years and I ended up tossing a bunch because it grew funky mold. So, I'd say the investment is solid.

Back