Record cleaning - what's your method?

I was more worried about worn but if you're getting more skips it could be dirty or have a fuzz ball. You'd be able to tell right way from a visual inspection.
Yeah I have taken a look and it seems okay. It does collect a fuzz ball here and there which I always carefully remove. I feel like new records are showing up dirtier and my old ones certainly have collected some junk over the years. The new cartridge was purchased originally thinking that was the culprit, but it was time for a new one anyway so I didn't mind. Now I am thinking it's my 100% neglect to ever clean one of them, which should have donned on me before now, but it's not something I WANT to spend money (or time) on, but I think I'm at a point where I can't ignore it any longer and shouldn't have for this long.

Last edited:
That being said, does anyone know what the major benefit of the $300 Record Doctor VI is?
Per audioadvisor, the brand new Record Doctor VI features:
1. Cooler and quieter running than previous models (this upgrade has been installed in all newer Record Doctor V models, too)
2. Durable, stain-resistant aluminum top (aesthetic, my V has no stains on top)
3. Larger easy-grip record turner keeps fluids off the LP label (the V's hand turner works well, and I've never gotten any fluid on a label)
4. New deep-cleaning Clean Sweep fluid applicator brush ($19.95 separately, if you really want one)
5. Now available in carbon-fiber and other high-gloss finishes (aesthetic)

The "improvements" aren't worth the extra $100 imo.

Per audioadvisor, the brand new Record Doctor VI features:
1. Cooler and quieter running than previous models (this upgrade has been installed in all newer Record Doctor V models, too)
2. Durable, stain-resistant aluminum top (aesthetic, my V has no stains on top)
3. Larger easy-grip record turner keeps fluids off the LP label (the V's hand turner works well, and I've never gotten any fluid on a label)
4. New deep-cleaning Clean Sweep fluid applicator brush ($19.95 separately, if you really want one)
5. Now available in carbon-fiber and other high-gloss finishes (aesthetic)

The "improvements" aren't worth the extra $100 imo.
It may not seem like it but it could also depend how much quieter it is. Also, why the Record Doctor V doesn't cover the entire label always baffled me.

I appreciate everyone's input. After compulsively researching (kinda my thing though it can be a life hindrance at times), I sprung for the VI. Ultimately I agree that the V was probably fine, but I like the idea of it being quieter. I chatted with someone at AudioAdviser and he did say that it is noticeably quieter mostly due to some additional venting. I also like that the label is fully covered. I struggled to justify the additional $100, but figure this is a one time purchase and I may as well get the latest model. Also picked up an Onzow Zerodust and some new inner sleeves, because what's the point of cramming clean vinyl back into dirty paper inners. I've been meaning to replace those anyhow. Not the most fun I've ever had dropping $350, but it seems to have become necessary.

It may not seem like it but it could also depend how much quieter it is. Also, why the Record Doctor V doesn't cover the entire label always baffled me.
It's possible the VI is quieter than the V, even with the same additional venting. But the basic box appears to be made of the same material for both units.

The size of the V's hand turner puzzles me as well. But, the runout acts as a buffer anyway. It's more a question of fluid quantity and application. Too much fluid applied too close to the label would still be a problem on the VI, even with the larger turner, because at some point you have to remove the turner and flip the record to apply suction.

I like audioadvisor in general, but I'm skeptical of some of their practices, particularly their "sale" pricing. Also, their email ads include user endorsements with headshots that look fake, which bothers me. So, I question the actual value gained for the $100/50% price increase with the VI.

It's possible the VI is quieter than the V, even with the same additional venting. But the basic box appears to be made of the same material for both units.

The size of the V's hand turner puzzles me as well. But, the runout acts as a buffer anyway. It's more a question of fluid quantity and application. Too much fluid applied too close to the label would still be a problem on the VI, even with the larger turner, because at some point you have to remove the turner and flip the record to apply suction.

I like audioadvisor in general, but I'm skeptical of some of their practices, particularly their "sale" pricing. Also, their email ads include user endorsements with headshots that look fake, which bothers me. So, I question the actual value gained for the $100/50% price increase with the VI.
I agree fully with your value assessment. That $100 likely didn't buy me $100 improvement in performance. But it is built a bit more solidly and wisely from what I gather. The prices seem to be the same regardless of seller.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's input. After compulsively researching (kinda my thing though it can be a life hindrance at times), I sprung for the VI.
👍 I think you will like it. During my 10+ weeks of work/stay at home, I cleaned A LOT of records with my RD V. I found the rhythm calming: apply fluid, rotate while brushing, flip record, rotate while vacuuming, repeat. It is loud though, it's a vacuum cleaner in a wood box.

👍 I think you will like it. During my 10+ weeks of work/stay at home, I cleaned A LOT of records with my RD V. I found the rhythm calming: apply fluid, rotate while brushing, flip record, rotate while vacuuming, repeat. It is loud though, it's a vacuum cleaner in a wood box.
But his will be a little less loud ;).

Yeah, this WAS a selling point for me. With a toddler at home I'd like it to be as quiet as possible, but I know it will still be fairly noisy.
Yeah. I hear ya. I'm glad I have my Squeaky Clean in the basement because the only time I have to listen to and clean records after the kids are in bed. I actually hooked a new shop vac up to mine recently that is significantly quieter than the previous one.

Has anyone ever seen a record that appears to have a small bit of paper stuck in a groove? I have no that no amount of cleaning seems to get rid of. It causes popping for about 20 seconds during playback, but I guess I am more concerned about potential damage to my needle. It's a fairly expensive and rare record, so I can't easily replace it but it gives me anxiety to listen to it. Any ideas?

Yes I have seen that. In my experience it is sleeve paper. My solution is to clean the record but to leave the cleaning solution on for 5 minutes to really soak the piece and then scrub it out with a paint brush.

Yes I have seen that. In my experience it is sleeve paper. My solution is to clean the record but to leave the cleaning solution on for 5 minutes to really soak the piece and then scrub it out with a paint brush.

Thanks for the advice. A small paintbrush? Like for watercolors?

Just wanted to thank everyone for the assistance in choosing a cleaning method/device. The Record Doctor is working great. I’ve tested it with albums known to either be a bit noisy, skippy, or just generally not great sounding. The results thus far are more impressive than expected. This may be the best investment I’ve made yet in upgrading the sound of my record listening experience. How much fluid should I be using? I’ve been using 5-6 drops and struggling to have them come off fully dry even after 7-10 spins. I have a microfiber cloth I’ve been using to give them a quick final drying before spinning but not sure if this is a normal experience or not.

With the Squeaky Clean, I am pretty much dry after 2-3 spins. But I do use a microfibre to do a quick, light wipe.
I would say I am 90% there after 3-5 spins typically. Usually in the runout I can see a bit lingering and here and there on other parts of the album. I have to look under bright lighting to see it at all, but I don’t want to run my stylus through anything that remains wet!

I have a few pieces of lego with pads on top, that I sit the record on after I clean it. That way it is sitting in the open air to get fully dry before I stick it in a sleeve. I do this while I am cleaning the next record.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the assistance in choosing a cleaning method/device. The Record Doctor is working great. I’ve tested it with albums known to either be a bit noisy, skippy, or just generally not great sounding. The results thus far are more impressive than expected. This may be the best investment I’ve made yet in upgrading the sound of my record listening experience. How much fluid should I be using? I’ve been using 5-6 drops and struggling to have them come off fully dry even after 7-10 spins. I have a microfiber cloth I’ve been using to give them a quick final drying before spinning but not sure if this is a normal experience or not.
I try to use just enough fluid to cover the entire surface of the record when brushed, without overdoing it. I also have to remember to rotate the records slowly, to allow the vacuum to do its job. Even then there's a little bit of fluid left, but that evaporates while I clean the next record.

Last edited:
Back