Record cleaning - what's your method?

Has anyone tried this - i had a thought about keeping original printed paper sleeves but without adding to bulk of packaging with additional polys. So bought these and pleaded inside- Appears to work fine and pretty cheap too.View attachment 69294
Yeah so those inners on the left fit fine inside any sleeve
I used to use Nagaoka 102’s but found them to be a complete faff. I’m fairly gormless with my record handling, and I always found myself fighting with them.

I’m going down the MoFi route - they are easier for me to handle, and I like the look. They definitely add bulk though.

Anyone use TergiKleen with a Vinyl-Vac before? Not sure if some light distilled water after tergikleen will be enough to get the TergiKleen off

😑

Analogue Seduction is not very good at packing stuff. I also decided to check Highend Electronics again (thanks @HiFi Guy) and saw they had gotten it back in stock (figures) and still have the "buy 1 get 1 free" deal. I added a bottle to see what the shipping cost would be and it was free so i added another bottle for a toal of 4 bottles for $50. I most likely have to pay customs for two of them, at least, but that's still a great deal!

I have a question, though. On the product page, it says mix 100 ml into 1 gallon but on the box it says mix 100 ml into 0,9 liters. That's gotta be a mistake, right? Mixing the entire bottle of concentrate into just 0,9 liters won't produce a whole lot of cleaning fluids.

IMG_3706.jpeg

Last edited:
😑

Analogue Seduction is not very good at packing stuff. I also decided to check Highend Electronics again (thanks @HiFi Guy) and saw they had gotten it back in stock (figures) and still have the "buy 1 get 1 free" deal. I added a bottle to see what the shipping cost would be and it was free so i added another bottle for a toal of 4 bottles for $50. I most likely have to pay customs for two of them, at least, but that's still a great deal!

I have a question, though. On the product page, it says mix 100 ml into 1 gallon but on the box it says mix 100 ml into 0,9 liters. That's gotta be a mistake, right? Mixing the entire bottle of concentrate into just 0,9 liters won't produce a whole lot of cleaning fluids.

View attachment 70473
It’s one bottle into 1 gallon.

A couple noob questions about Tergi-Kleen for anybody that knows more about it

1. Why does they say to rinse off the tergi-kleen with distilled water after cleaning it?

2. Wouldn’t the residual TergiKleen be left on your pad or basin? It’s not practical to use a new pad or entire new water basin after every cleaning.

3. If the answer to number 1 is that tergi-kleen can be damaging to the wax if left on then wouldn’t distilled water NOT be able to reach deep into the groove where the tergi-kleen is resting? That the whole reason they add alcohol in mixtures right?

A couple noob questions about Tergi-Kleen for anybody that knows more about it

1. Why does they say to rinse off the tergi-kleen with distilled water after cleaning it?

2. Wouldn’t the residual TergiKleen be left on your pad or basin? It’s not practical to use a new pad or entire new water basin after every cleaning.

3. If the answer to number 1 is that tergi-kleen can be damaging to the wax if left on then wouldn’t distilled water NOT be able to reach deep into the groove where the tergi-kleen is resting? That the whole reason they add alcohol in mixtures right?
Fluids that recommend a rinse do so because the fluid leaves a residue. Another go around with a dedicated pad just for the rinse should remove any residue.

I wouldn’t worry about residual cleaning fluid on the secondary rinse equipment. The vast majority of what will be present is fresh water.

Alcohol is mostly used as a cleaning agent. It’s good at removing oily fingerprints from mishandled albums. It’s also harsh, and I avoid it.

Fluids that recommend a rinse do so because the fluid leaves a residue. Another go around with a dedicated pad just for the rinse should remove any residue.

I wouldn’t worry about residual cleaning fluid on the secondary rinse equipment. The vast majority of what will be present is fresh water.

Alcohol is mostly used as a cleaning agent. It’s good at removing oily fingerprints from mishandled albums. It’s also harsh, and I avoid it.

Thanks so much!

I remember my Mofi Planet Waves as being the scruffiest record I'd ever received. It looked like someone had been using it to wipe a badgers arse after it had gone all in at an asparagus wine party
Hahahaha lol 😝

UK folks with scruffy records... The ebay project deal is back again

£75 quid off with the code so the VC-S would be £429 minus £75 (plus an extra 1% via Top Cashback)

£75 quid off with the code so the VC-S would be £429 minus £75 (plus an extra 1% via Top Cashback)
@Gavaxeman

Im sure theres a few of us that can now share opinions on it.

For my part, its completely changed the way I listen to my records. The majority of the records I buy are second (or third or fourth...) hand its likely that they have never been cleaned before. In the past I would just wipe them down with a damp cloth, use cleaning fluid and hand dry, or just not clean them at all. Of the ones I have cleaned (which is every record I have listened to since getting the machine) there hasn't been a single case of static noise. Pops, clicks and surface noise have drastically been reduced and in some cases completely eradicated. In fact, its also opened my eyes to just how full of gunk and debris new records are when they first arrive too.

All in all its well worth it in my opinion. The only thing I would flag as potential negatives are the bottle which comes with it having an open top (tricky to control the pour) and that the platter has 'dropped' a few times. The bottle is an easy and cheap fix (I bought a sauce bottle with a spout) and the tube that the platter is connected to had a screw that you can loosen/tighten to adjust the height. I have been using the machine heavily and have had to reposition the height a few times since, but its not really that much of a problem and only takes a couple of minutes to do.

Im sure theres a few of us that can now share opinions on it.

For my part, its completely changed the way I listen to my records. The majority of the records I buy are second (or third or fourth...) hand its likely that they have never been cleaned before. In the past I would just wipe them down with a damp cloth, use cleaning fluid and hand dry, or just not clean them at all. Of the ones I have cleaned (which is every record I have listened to since getting the machine) there hasn't been a single case of static noise. Pops, clicks and surface noise have drastically been reduced and in some cases completely eradicated. In fact, its also opened my eyes to just how full of gunk and debris new records are when they first arrive too.

All in all its well worth it in my opinion. The only thing I would flag as potential negatives are the bottle which comes with it having an open top (tricky to control the pour) and that the platter has 'dropped' a few times. The bottle is an easy and cheap fix (I bought a sauce bottle with a spout) and the tube that the platter is connected to had a screw that you can loosen/tighten to adjust the height. I have been using the machine heavily and have had to reposition the height a few times since, but its not really that much of a problem and only takes a couple of minutes to do.
A few of us keep saying it, but a record cleaning device is just as important as a phono stage, especially if you buy used vinyl.........although, as you mentioned, new vinyl isn't much better now a days ;)

A few of us keep saying it, but a record cleaning device is just as important as a phono stage, especially if you buy used vinyl.........although, as you mentioned, new vinyl isn't much better now a days ;)
It's one of those things that I have always known I should be doing properly but needed the push to justify buying a machine to do so (which the discount essentially was). I always knew a proper clean on a decent machine would give better results, I just didn't realise how much better those results would be.

Makes me wish I had invested years ago, although I now have the opportunity to hear before and after which in a lot of cases provides shockingly different before/after results.

Back