Record cleaning - what's your method?

It's one of those things that I have always known I should be doing properly but needed the push to justify buying a machine to do so (which the discount essentially was). I always knew a proper clean on a decent machine would give better results, I just didn't realise how much better those results would be.

Makes me wish I had invested years ago, although I now have the opportunity to hear before and after which in a lot of cases provides shockingly different before/after results.
Totally agree. Decided to listen to an album last night and as it was after 8 I just couldn't be arsed to clean it first. After about 2 tracks I took it off and ran it through the VC-S. I'd almost forgotten how colicky, poppy and generally staticcy a new, out of packet album could sound. At the price we paid its the bargain of the year for me.

Totally agree. Decided to listen to an album last night and as it was after 8 I just couldn't be arsed to clean it first. After about 2 tracks I took it off and ran it through the VC-S. I'd almost forgotten how colicky, poppy and generally staticcy a new, out of packet album could sound. At the price we paid its the bargain of the year for me.
Same, love mine.

My approach is slightly different as I’m batch cleaning pre-move, but there is a definite difference once cleaned.

What's the verdict on cleaning fluid? I'll probably run out of the fluid that came with the Project VCS soon, I think it's really good but is there anything better out there?

Also, any tips on brushes, how often do you need to replace them? Can you clean them easily? is the standard project one as good as it gets?

What's the verdict on cleaning fluid? I'll probably run out of the fluid that came with the Project VCS soon, I think it's really good but is there anything better out there?

Also, any tips on brushes, how often do you need to replace them? Can you clean them easily? is the standard project one as good as it gets?
Chisto Easy Groove works really well and there's a great deal here, $25 for enough concentrate to make two gallons:
Update on Chisto Easy Groove- the Ukrainian concentrate I’m trying out. This stuff rules! Zero static electricity and uber quiet surfaces.

I like it enough that I placed a second order while they still have it on sale at 75% off.

Last edited:
Chisto Easy Groove works really well and there's a great deal here, $25 for enough concentrate to make two gallons:

EDIT: I just noticed you are in England, so I don't know if the offer above is available to you. I think @The Denmarkian Wonder found it in England, but had a less than stellar experience. And, I see he managed to order four bottles shipped free to Denmark from California. What a time we live in!

Thanks, I will have a look atEasy Groove

Quick question - I just changed my cleaning fluid to L'Art du Son. I have v amateur sounding ears but to me it seems like a. it has gone a great job in making the records sound better but b. it has also made both the v beginning and end of the discs much noisier (particularly the run out groove). Does that make sense? I'm wondering whether I should add a second clean as some seem to do with just distilled water...

Quick question - I just changed my cleaning fluid to L'Art du Son. I have v amateur sounding ears but to me it seems like a. it has gone a great job in making the records sound better but b. it has also made both the v beginning and end of the discs much noisier (particularly the run out groove). Does that make sense? I'm wondering whether I should add a second clean as some seem to do with just distilled water...
Are you using a Spin Clean, RCM?

Spin Clean - I would probably add a rinse cycle
RCM - Make sure to keep the velvet strips clean, the "whatever" it may pick up tends to work its way to the run out groove. I typically clean them before each session.

Are you using a Spin Clean, RCM?

Spin Clean - I would probably add a rinse cycle
RCM - Make sure to keep the velvet strips clean, the "whatever" it may pick up tends to work its way to the run out groove. I typically clean them before each session.
Okki Nokki. I'm thinking about replacing my velvet strips. I keep them clean but I've had them a while. Last two records I played have rather quiet starts to each side and they were more crackly too. I think I'll wash them again to be sure.

Some have success with LDS, some don’t, which Is why I’ve avoided it. Your experience isn’t uncommon.

LDS is also known to grow mold/algae. Make sure to keep it in a dark bottle away from any sources of light.

In your position, I’d definitely try one or more distilled water rinses. If you don’t have an extra pad/spreader, make sure to clean the one you have first.

If you continue to have issues, give Chisto a try. The stuff is amazing. I’ve got no idea what’s in it, but I do know it’s alcohol and perfume free, unlike the Okki Nokki fluid that came with your machine.

Some have success with LDS, some don’t, which Is why I’ve avoided it. Your experience isn’t uncommon.

LDS is also known to grow mold/algae. Make sure to keep it in a dark bottle away from any sources of light.

In your position, I’d definitely try one or more distilled water rinses. If you don’t have an extra pad/spreader, make sure to clean the one you have first.

If you continue to have issues, give Chisto a try. The stuff is amazing. I’ve got no idea what’s in it, but I do know it’s alcohol and perfume free, unlike the Okki Nokki fluid that came with your machine.
I've had a hunt around but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Audio Affair stocked it at one point but seem to have pulled the range.

I've had a hunt around but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Audio Affair stocked it at one point but seem to have pulled the range.
Analogue seduction stock it

I nearly bought some from there yesterday but went down a rabbit hole of what to get, I've narrowed it down to a couple of brands :)

Christo
Nitty Gritty
Hannl
L’Art du Son
Project wash-it

I nearly bought some from there yesterday but went down a rabbit hole of what to get, I've narrowed it down to a couple of brands :)

Christo
Nitty Gritty
Hannl
L’Art du Son
Project wash-it
I’ve used the following which I’ll rank in order based on performance. Chisto is head and shoulders above the others:

Chisto

Todd The Vinyl Junkie Enzyme

MoFi Record Wash
Nitty Gritty Pure 2
Okki Nokki

Disc Doctor

I’ve put spaces in to put them in “groups”.

Note that Nitty Gritty and Okki Nokki contain alcohol- Nitty Gritty some and Okki Nokki a lot.

I'm trying to polish off an old bottle of mediocre MoFi fluid, then back to my TTVJ mix. I guess once that's done I'll give Chisto a whirl, since it seems considerably cheaper.

We all just line up behind @HiFi Guy on these things. ;)

I’ve used the following which I’ll rank in order based on performance. Chisto is head and shoulders above the others:

Chisto

Todd The Vinyl Junkie Enzyme

MoFi Record Wash
Nitty Gritty Pure 2
Okki Nokki

Disc Doctor

I’ve put spaces in to put them in “groups”.

Note that Nitty Gritty and Okki Nokki contain alcohol- Nitty Gritty some and Okki Nokki a lot.

Thanks for this. I'll definitively give Chisto a go, it is expensive in the Uk though.

One I missed off the short list is 'The Right one'. Has anyone tried this?

😑

Analogue Seduction is not very good at packing stuff. I also decided to check Highend Electronics again (thanks @HiFi Guy) and saw they had gotten it back in stock (figures) and still have the "buy 1 get 1 free" deal. I added a bottle to see what the shipping cost would be and it was free so i added another bottle for a toal of 4 bottles for $50. I most likely have to pay customs for two of them, at least, but that's still a great deal!

I have a question, though. On the product page, it says mix 100 ml into 1 gallon but on the box it says mix 100 ml into 0,9 liters. That's gotta be a mistake, right? Mixing the entire bottle of concentrate into just 0,9 liters won't produce a whole lot of cleaning fluids.
Hey UK/Euro record cleaners, If I am reading this post correctly, @The Denmarkian Wonder was able to order Chisto concentrate from HighEnd in California, shipped FREE to Denmark. I ordered from there with no issues, shipped safely in a box, albeit domestically.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I'll definitively give Chisto a go, it is expensive in the Uk though.

One I missed off the short list is 'The Right one'. Has anyone tried this?

Look at the bottom of the description. Not for use with 78s/shellac means it contains alcohol.

Chisto really isn’t that expensive. Remember it’s a concentrate that will make 1 US gallon. That will last a long time.

Edit: Look at the above post. You can get enough concentrate for 2 gallons for $25.

Hey UK/Euro record cleaners, If I am reading this post correctly, @The Denmarkian Wonder was able to order Chisto concentrate from HighEnd in California, shipped FREE to Denmark. I ordered from there with no issues, shipped safely in a box, albeit domestically.

Awesome, I'll give that a try. If they ship cheaply not makes a huge difference, that's probably a 1/4 of the price that I can source in the UK.

Edit - ordered & free shipping to the UK - anything under 4lbs apparently. It seems to good to be true :)

Last edited:
This is no joke. After accidentally liberating a half gallon of TTVJ into my kitchen cabinet under the sink, I thought maybe I’d just make do for the time being with the Okki stuff that I had a bottle of. About knocked myself out when I opened it.

Back