Record cleaning - what's your method?

I use a Record Doctor V with Audio Intelligent One-Step Formula No. 6 applied with a goat hair brush. It works well, and as a bonus, I have found cleaning a half-dozen or so records per day to be very therapeutic while stuck at home.

For anyone considering a vacuum record cleaner, don't let the lack of a turntable motor deter you. The Record Doc's vacuum is strong, and it takes just 1-2 slow easy revolutions one way, then 1-2 slow easy revolutions the other way, and voila! Shiny vinyl!

Last edited:
I cleaned a few yesterday with my Spinclean. I've been struggling to get good results with it. No matter whether I rinse with distilled water and let air dry or use the included cloths or different ones my records always come out crackly. 🙁

I cleaned a few yesterday with my Spinclean. I've been struggling to get good results with it. No matter whether I rinse with distilled water and let air dry or use the included cloths or different ones my records always come out crackly. 🙁
This is the main reason I ditched the Spin Clean. It always felt like you had to get every minute detail right to get good results.

Got my Squeaky Clean this week and I have been happy with it. Cleaned up 12 records yesterday, 2 were new and the rest were bargain bin finds. I am about 5 albums in so far on this pile and I have been very happy with the results.

What are people's thoughts on the London Jazz Collector recipe that Nick recommends?

What are you using now?
This with a $20 shop vac

There's actually a good amount of users on here that have the same RCM. Can't beat it for the price compared to other RCMs.

I use a Record Doctor V with Audio Intelligent One-Step Formula No. 6 applied with a goat hair brush. It works well, and as a bonus, I have found cleaning a half-dozen or so records per day to be very therapeutic while stuck at home.

For anyone considering a vacuum record cleaner, don't let the lack of a turntable motor deter you. The Record Doc's vacuum is strong, and it takes just 1-2 slow easy revolutions one
I broke down and ordered the Record Doctor VI last week, because no matter how many times I washed particular records with the Spin Clean, it just didnt seem to get down deep enough. I've refrained from playing these old records, as well as picking up used records in general, because I dont want to run my stylus thru them. I'm assuming the vacuum aspect will fix this.

I've never had a crackly issue except on the older more "experienced" records. New vinyl thats gone thru the spin clean sounded fine after cleaning.

I broke down and ordered the Record Doctor VI last week, because no matter how many times I washed particular records with the Spin Clean, it just didnt seem to get down deep enough. I've refrained from playing these old records, as well as picking up used records in general, because I dont want to run my stylus thru them. I'm assuming the vacuum aspect will fix this.

I've never had a crackly issue except on the older more "experienced" records. New vinyl thats gone thru the spin clean sounded fine after cleaning.

Some records are just beat up.

Got my Squeaky Clean this week and I have been happy with it. Cleaned up 12 records yesterday, 2 were new and the rest were bargain bin finds. I am about 5 albums in so far on this pile and I have been very happy with the results.

What are people's thoughts on the London Jazz Collector recipe that Nick recommends?
That's very similar to my own recipe. The ratios are a bit different, and I found a different surfactant, but I wouldn't worry too much about those details. Members here have had excellent luck with many variations on this recipe.

Not familiar with Nick Jazz Collector, but this is exactly what I use as my liquid cleaner in combination with Music Hall Vac with excellent results. I’ve tried so many diff brands/solutions over the past 20 years but this one is the best for me by far.

I‘ve finally run out of TTVJ. Got some MoFi fluid I’m gonna use if it hasn’t started growing things yet...

people were somewhat annoyed that i was cleaning my spinclean clothes without anyone else... and when i said maybe i can wait until its completely soiled to do a wash they say "cant you just airdry them" but thats not how the thing works and its confusing.. plus aparently i can save up some fluid by saving the water but that doesn't make sense because i thought all the fluid was in the brushes not the water and now things are confusing

maybe i dont understand the instructions they give

also to note my overthetop paranoia makes me wonder that if i leave the solution with the fluid in for more than a week toxic fumes will come out or something, i only buy records a couple times a month so i dont wanna waste more water and fluid by pouring stuff out as soon as the week is over and then when a record comes doing it again...

also to note my overthetop paranoia makes me wonder that if i leave the solution with the fluid in for more than a week toxic fumes will come out or something, i only buy records a couple times a month so i dont wanna waste more water and fluid by pouring stuff out as soon as the week is over and then when a record comes doing it again...

They say a week. It’s good for about 2 days after you’re done. After that it’s no good. I know, I tried it after about 4/5 days once when I was new to the spin clean and my record sounded crackly as hell. Had to rewash it in a fresh mix. It’s water and a non toxic cleaner, what’s creating these fumes?

I do a monthly cleaning session with the spin clean, which requires patience when you get something in that you REALLY want to listen to, but it avoids "wasting" a bath on only a few records.

That crackle may be static from the drying process.

I'm in agreement with @kvetcha here. When I use rags with my Spin Clean a Zero Stat is Essential!

Hey Spin Cleaners,

I have a few elementary questions for you before I buy one.

1) How soft are the brushes? I'm assuming you've never had issues with getting scratches from this?

2) How do you keep the labels from getting wet?

3) Do you use the spin clean solution, or is there some kind of better option?

3a) Does the solution you use smell toxic? Can I use it in a smallish room without dying?

4) I've seen talk of 'anti-static rags'. Any that you recommend?

Anything else a Spin Clean n00b needs to know?

Truly appreciate any help here as I've been intimidated to get one. Unsure why, but it's time!

Thanks in advance!

Hey Spin Cleaners,

I have a few elementary questions for you before I buy one.

1) How soft are the brushes? I'm assuming you've never had issues with getting scratches from this?

2) How do you keep the labels from getting wet?

3) Do you use the spin clean solution, or is there some kind of better option?

3a) Does the solution you use smell toxic? Can I use it in a smallish room without dying?

4) I've seen talk of 'anti-static rags'. Any that you recommend?

Anything else a Spin Clean n00b needs to know?

Truly appreciate any help here as I've been intimidated to get one. Unsure why, but it's time!

Thanks in advance!
1. Very soft - like a velvet texture. No risk of scratching.

2. The water naturally follows the grooves of the record, so the label doesn't typically get wet at all. If you do spill a droplet or two, just use your drying cloth to dab it dry.

3. Spin clean solution has always worked well for me. Some people swear by their own mixtures though. I've never felt compelled enough to try something else, personally. 🤷‍♂️

3a. No smell whatsoever (my wife is extremely sensitive to odors - she would have let me know by now if it was bothersome)

4. When I bought mine, the included rags were kind of thin, so I bought these (also from Spin Clean), and they are much more absorbent. Some people also use various other micro-fiber cloths.

I was intimidated at first, too - watched some youtube videos that helped me gain some confidence, haha. Spin Clean is still the best bang for your buck, cleaning-wise.

1. Very soft - like a velvet texture. No risk of scratching.

2. The water naturally follows the grooves of the record, so the label doesn't typically get wet at all. If you do spill a droplet or two, just use your drying cloth to dab it dry.

3. Spin clean solution has always worked well for me. Some people swear by their own mixtures though. I've never felt compelled enough to try something else, personally. 🤷‍♂️

3a. No smell whatsoever (my wife is extremely sensitive to odors - she would have let me know by now if it was bothersome)

4. When I bought mine, the included rags were kind of thin, so I bought these (also from Spin Clean), and they are much more absorbent. Some people also use various other micro-fiber cloths.

I was intimidated at first, too - watched some youtube videos that helped me gain some confidence, haha. Spin Clean is still the best bang for your buck, cleaning-wise.
Thanks, truly appreciate your time!

Back