Record cleaning - what's your method?

What shop vac is everyone using with their squeaky clean. Mine doesn't seem to be sucking off the fluid as good anymore .

I just ordered a Squeaky Clean on Friday and ordered this 3 gallon vac for $35 to pair with it. Obviously haven't received either yet, but it had good reviews and was relatively cheap.

What shop vac is everyone using with their squeaky clean. Mine doesn't seem to be sucking off the fluid as good anymore .
I use a 2.5 gallon Shop Vac brand that I managed to find for $20 at Home Depot. If suction is an issue double check for potential leaks starting with the adjustable port on the vacuum wand. It shouldn’t take a great deal of suction to do the job.

I use a 2.5 gallon Shop Vac brand that I managed to find for $20 at Home Depot. If suction is an issue double check for potential leaks starting with the adjustable port on the vacuum wand. It shouldn’t take a great deal of suction to do the job.
I actually just got my vacuum wand replaced because it was leaking. It was working like a champ for a couple of weeks. Now it seems I have to spin it forever and it never seems to get completely dry. I have the valve turned all the way clockwise which I believe should be max suction. Also, after cleaning 3 records I opened up my vac and it was bone dry inside. That didn't seem right.

I actually just got my vacuum wand replaced because it was leaking. It was working like a champ for a couple of weeks. Now it seems I have to spin it forever and it never seems to get completely dry. I have the valve turned all the way clockwise which I believe should be max suction. Also, after cleaning 3 records I opened up my vac and it was bone dry inside. That didn't seem right.
Is your vacuum one that you need to add the filter to go from dry to wet? Could be that that needs replacing?

Is your vacuum one that you need to add the filter to go from dry to wet? Could be that that needs replacing?
It has a foam sleeve for the wet filter. I don't think I've ever switched it out for the dry filter since I've had it. I can feel suction through the wand when I turn it on but it's not sucking fliud nearly as good as it was.

Got my Squeky Clean in mail Friday. I like it a lot. Noticable difference on a couple albums so far compared same process with no vacuum. Using the ArmorAll wet/vac mentioned above which is 2.5HP. TTVJ with rinse distilled water.
I still have some minor pops on some really old bin finds. I think with windows open might just be static. Starting to think I need a Milty. Been balking at the price vs return.

Got my Squeky Clean in mail Friday. I like it a lot. Noticable difference on a couple albums so far compared same process with no vacuum. Using the ArmorAll wet/vac mentioned above which is 2.5HP. TTVJ with rinse distilled water.
I still have some minor pops on some really old bin finds. I think with windows open might just be static. Starting to think I need a Milty. Been balking at the price vs return.
If your windows are open I’d be betting on pollen.

I just ordered a Squeaky Clean on Friday and ordered this 3 gallon vac for $35 to pair with it. Obviously haven't received either yet, but it had good reviews and was relatively cheap.

I started looking into ultrasonic cleaners yesterday, but it really just doesn’t seem worth it at current prices.

Maybe it’ll come down over time.

I started looking into ultrasonic cleaners yesterday, but it really just doesn’t seem worth it at current prices.

Maybe it’ll come down over time.

I looked into these, too. Even looked into a DIY ultrasound set up. It seems like it does a better job than a RCM, but not sure if it is better enough for the cost.

I don't know anyone that has one to check out...and that keeps me from moving on it.

Walmart had a different Armor All vac with the same specs as the one on Amazon for $33 so I decided to just order it. It just looks a little less compact than the other one. Will pick it up and see if it was really my old vac or just another issue. At worst I have a new $33 car vacuum.

Question on storing record cleaning solution. I just bought enough ingredients to make a gallon of the LondonJazzCollector solution that the Squeaky Clean guy recommends (4:1 Distilled Water to Isopropyl Alcohol with small amount of Ilfotol). That's seriously going to last me years haha I'm assuming this stuff won't go bad? I plan to refill a smaller 16oz bottle as needed. Will I need to shake or mix the solution to ensure everything is mixed well everytime I use it or go to refill the small bottle? Or does it mix fully without issue?

Question on storing record cleaning solution. I just bought enough ingredients to make a gallon of the LondonJazzCollector solution that the Squeaky Clean guy recommends (4:1 Distilled Water to Isopropyl Alcohol with small amount of Ilfotol). That's seriously going to last me years haha I'm assuming this stuff won't go bad? I plan to refill a smaller 16oz bottle as needed. Will I need to shake or mix the solution to ensure everything is mixed well everytime I use it or go to refill the small bottle? Or does it mix fully without issue?
I made my first batch about 4 weeks ago. I made 500ml total and it is in a labelled mason jar under the sink. I pour a small amount into a smaller jar and then use a syringe to dribble it onto each record. The cleaning fluid mixes clear and I have seen no sedimentation yet.

I made my first batch about 4 weeks ago. I made 500ml total and it is in a labelled mason jar under the sink. I pour a small amount into a smaller jar and then use a syringe to dribble it onto each record. The cleaning fluid mixes clear and I have seen no sedimentation yet.
It sounds so clandestine the way you describe it.

Back