Record cleaning - what's your method?

1. Very soft - like a velvet texture. No risk of scratching.

2. The water naturally follows the grooves of the record, so the label doesn't typically get wet at all. If you do spill a droplet or two, just use your drying cloth to dab it dry.

3. Spin clean solution has always worked well for me. Some people swear by their own mixtures though. I've never felt compelled enough to try something else, personally. 🤷‍♂️

3a. No smell whatsoever (my wife is extremely sensitive to odors - she would have let me know by now if it was bothersome)

4. When I bought mine, the included rags were kind of thin, so I bought these (also from Spin Clean), and they are much more absorbent. Some people also use various other micro-fiber cloths.

I was intimidated at first, too - watched some youtube videos that helped me gain some confidence, haha. Spin Clean is still the best bang for your buck, cleaning-wise.

Just to add to this. You really can’t use another solution with spin cleans. Their solution has an agent in it that causes the debris that comes off the dirty record to sink and so not recontaminate or contaminate the next ones up. The home brew solutions tend to be more the arena of the vacuum cleaning brigade.

but otherwise completely agree.

Just to add to this. You really can’t use another solution with spin cleans. Their solution has an agent in it that causes the debris that comes off the dirty record to sink and so not recontaminate or contaminate the next ones up. The home brew solutions tend to be more the arena of the vacuum cleaning brigade.

but otherwise completely agree.
It’s not magic, it’s flocculant. Matching one that is vinyl safe and correctly concentrated is the exercise.

Looking for some help. I'm trying to decide between the SpinClean, Squeaky Clean and Vinyl Vac. I currently use a Mofi solution with two velvet pads, 1 to apply to solution and a separate one to I guess dry the record off and remove the solution. This process works decently well and has fixed issues with many records I have, but I've started noticing that even though I replace the "drying" pad it seems it doesn't soak everything up. So I'm looking for a better way to clean my records. Recommendations? I think I'm leaning toward the Squeaky Clean because they have a $25 off deal right now and I think I want to have a vacuum solution because I'm thinking that's the problem I have most right now. But I'm also wondering if maybe using my current setup with the vinyl vac to dry at the end would be good (but I do think that could make for a longer process as opposed to just using a Squeaky Clean). And obviously there's a lot of love for SpinClean so I'm considering that as well, but I think it requires a manual dry? I think I want to avoid that but I'm open to that option as well. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks!

I have not used a Spin Clean though did look at it when I was first thinking about going the vacuum route. What turned me away from the Spin Clean was my worry about about removing all the cleaning solution. It seems like most people have success with it once they figure out their process.

I have been very happy with the Squeaky Clean. Easy to use and does a great job. I can do about 12-15 records in an hour, not rushing. This includes doing several new records so I am taking off the wrapping and replacing the inner sleeve after the cleaning process as well. Not sure why you would want to do both methods at the same time. If you are going to do the setup of the Squeaky clean, then just do the the entire process. Plus if you are not quick in moving from the Spin Clean to the vacuum, I would be worried about cleaning fluid drying on there.

And obviously there's a lot of love for SpinClean so I'm considering that as well, but I think it requires a manual dry? I think I want to avoid that but I'm open to that option as well. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks!
I've only used Spin Clean and it works well for me. Method: rinse in sink, Spin Clean, rinse in sink, place record on microfiber towel, wipe both sides dry with another microfiber towel, sit in rack for a minute or two for good measure while I do another record, one more wipe with a third microfiber towel, done. Leave the fluid in the vessel, remove the brushes, rinse in sink and let brushes dry until next time.

Note that I don't buy a ton of records at this point. If I were always buying a large volume that I had to clean all at once, I'd probably grab a Record Doctor.

I have not used a Spin Clean though did look at it when I was first thinking about going the vacuum route. What turned me away from the Spin Clean was my worry about about removing all the cleaning solution. It seems like most people have success with it once they figure out their process.

I have been very happy with the Squeaky Clean. Easy to use and does a great job. I can do about 12-15 records in an hour, not rushing. This includes doing several new records so I am taking off the wrapping and replacing the inner sleeve after the cleaning process as well. Not sure why you would want to do both methods at the same time. If you are going to do the setup of the Squeaky clean, then just do the the entire process. Plus if you are not quick in moving from the Spin Clean to the vacuum, I would be worried about cleaning fluid drying on there.
I've only used Spin Clean and it works well for me. Method: rinse in sink, Spin Clean, rinse in sink, place record on microfiber towel, wipe both sides dry with another microfiber towel, sit in rack for a minute or two for good measure while I do another record, one more wipe with a third microfiber towel, done. Leave the fluid in the vessel, remove the brushes, rinse in sink and let brushes dry until next time.

Note that I don't buy a ton of records at this point. If I were always buying a large volume that I had to clean all at once, I'd probably grab a Record Doctor.

Thank you both for the insight! I want to go the vac route so I grabbed a Squeaky Clean just now. I'll report back when it gets in!

Spin Cleaners - one last question before I bite.

On the Spin Clean website, there are are a few different versions. Does the $79.99 model suffice? Looks like no differences in each one except the extras.

Thank you so much! @High Rant District @Joe Mac @oldschoolkirby

You only need the cheaper but the more expensive $125 one would be where I’d go. The second pair of cloths is really handy and the extra fluid is a must because you’ll go through the 4oz really quickly doing the entire collection first time around.

Spin Cleaners - one last question before I bite.

On the Spin Clean website, there are are a few different versions. Does the $79.99 model suffice? Looks like no differences in each one except the extras.

Thank you so much! @High Rant District @Joe Mac @oldschoolkirby
I got the $79 version and have had it for ages. Grabbed microfiber towels from Amazon.

You only need the cheaper but the more expensive $125 one would be where I’d go. The second pair of cloths is really handy and the extra fluid is a must because you’ll go through the 4oz really quickly doing the entire collection first time around.
Thanks man! I ended up copping this one.

Gents, anything else I need to know?! I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Don’t use tap water, the minerals in it are no good. Get bottles of distilled/dionized water to clean with.

my routine is. I cover my dining table in cheap microfibres cloths that in wouldn’t use to dry with (a bit too scratchy). 5 spina in each direction (10 for used) in the spin clean. I have a cloth I each hand. Hold and rotate the record with one whilst gripping tightly to dry with the other. Rotate on each side until the record is completely dry (4-5) rotations I thsn lie the record in the cheap cloths on the table to air dry. A batch of 10 takes about 15 mins and 10 air drying.

Don’t use tap water, the minerals in it are no good. Get bottles of distilled/dionized water to clean with.

my routine is. I cover my dining table in cheap microfibres cloths that in wouldn’t use to dry with (a bit too scratchy). 5 spina in each direction (10 for used) in the spin clean. I have a cloth I each hand. Hold and rotate the record with one whilst gripping tightly to dry with the other. Rotate on each side until the record is completely dry (4-5) rotations I thsn lie the record in the cheap cloths on the table to air dry. A batch of 10 takes about 15 mins and 10 air drying.
Appreciate it! I heard some people saying they experience a lot of static after. What do you do about that?

Use distilled water in the bin, but I first rinse dust off under the tap. Portland water has low mineral content.

Appreciate it! I heard some people saying they experience a lot of static after. What do you do about that?

I’ve only got static early days when I first got the thing. Since I perfected my routine I don’t. I think any static is not properly dried so some solution is in there. I absolutely don’t use gap water near my records, Ireland is a big lonesome basin, hard water lol!

I’ve only got static early days when I first got the thing. Since I perfected my routine I don’t. I think any static is not properly dried so some solution is in there. I absolutely don’t use gap water near my records, Ireland is a big lonesome basin, hard water lol!
If you're ever bored and cleaning your records, I'd love to see a video of your method. I've watched some on YouTube. I think just as a newb I am paranoid about a) messing up the labels and b) having super staticy records! I'm sure I will prefect the process, just trying to do front end research.

If you're ever bored and cleaning your records, I'd love to see a video of your method. I've watched some on YouTube. I think just as a newb I am paranoid about a) messing up the labels and b) having super staticy records! I'm sure I will prefect the process, just trying to do front end research.

If I can figure a way to have my camera pointing and standing with no hands lol! Water doesn’t ever really get on the labels. At most the odd drop off the top when you first take it off but an insignificantly small amount. And dry it properly and crackle shouldn’t be a problem. Any coming off the cloths would be temporary and disappear after a week or so if stored in anti static sleeves.

Ditto re: distilled water.

I only do 3 spins in each direction, unless it is a very dirty used record, then I'll probably do some more (3 x clockwise, 3 x counterclockwise, repeat). After wiping dry as best I can, I use one of these to let them finish air drying.
I haven't experienced much static ever since swapping to an acrylic platter. Anti-static brush before dropping the needle helps too.
No static, but after drying I put the record in a MoFi sleeve which is antistatic. Not all plastic inners are antistatic.
Sleeve-City sleeves are good quality too.

Ditto re: distilled water.

I only do 3 spins in each direction, unless it is a very dirty used record, then I'll probably do some more (3 x clockwise, 3 x counterclockwise, repeat). After wiping dry as best I can, I use one of these to let them finish air drying.

I haven't experienced much static ever since swapping to an acrylic platter. Anti-static brush before dropping the needle helps too.

Sleeve-City sleeves are good quality too.

i prefer the sleeve city ones here. They seem sturdier? Maybe that’s just my imagination but they seem much less likely to crumple when you put them back inside the jacket.

What shop vac is everyone using with their squeaky clean. Mine doesn't seem to be sucking off the fluid as good anymore .

Back