Record cleaning - what's your method?

Ugh, I was afraid of that. What cleaners out there are worth dropping money on? Is the record doctor decent? Anyone out there have one?
Budget and preference are going to come into play here, I think any vacuum system is a plus, I haven't heard anything bad about the record doctor, I think most of the systems have their pro's and cons. I bought the VPI early on, and I'm in the camp of it being one of the most important pieces of your system. It does wonders on old dirty crate records and as mentioned helps new records as well......honestly, I clean any and all records when I first get them, but don't kid yourself into thinking new records show up clean, lol.

That being said, I'm going to cast my vote for the VPI 16.5 with the TTVJAudio Vinyl Zyme cleaner as the perfect combo ;)

...honestly, I clean any and all records when I first get them, but don't kid yourself into thinking new records show up clean, lol.
I've got the Spin Clean now, but that's best for batches of records. I do wash my new records, but it might be months of playing them before I get enough to warrant a cleaning session. I was listening to a brand new record last night and it had a loud crusty section, which got me thinking I need to clean them right away, as soon as they arrive. I'm sure the VPI is built to last, which is appealing. The price less so, but I know I've seen used ones out there too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ugh, I was afraid of that. What cleaners out there are worth dropping money on? Is the record doctor decent? Anyone out there have one?
I have a Record Doctor V. It's pretty loud but it takes just a few slow rotations by hand to vacuum off all the cleaning fluid. I use it with Audio Intelligent One-Step Formula No. 6.

If you have a shop vac, the KAB EV-1 works well. Both that and the record doctor use Nitty Gritty's top plate. I think the people with the Squeaky Clean (?? I think it's called that) are happy with theirs, it needs a shop vac too.

All I know is that having a vacuum has been a total improvement for me compared to the spin clean.

If you have the KAB or RD, you could still use the Spin Clean to wash and vacuum dry. I’ve done that for batch cleaning and it works well- I had a KAB for years.

Squeaky Clean owner here. I've been happy with it. I pair it with a Milwaukee cordless shop vac 0880-20. When I first got it, I had to spend a few minutes grinding the squeaky clean's coupler because it was a couple millimeters too small.

I have a VPI-16.5 and use the TTVJ solution (which does clump up a ton) and it has been one of the best improvements I've made. Takes about 1 minute to get an album cleaned before playing and it makes everything sound much better.

My best guess is it's binding to either itself, the plastic in the bottle, or something in the water

My best guess is it's binding to either itself, the plastic in the bottle, or something in the water

It’s definitely an organic growth. I eventually only started making enough to use in one or two sessions and stopped having issues.

I used publix distilled water.
When you get to the point of mixing a new batch, or you go with something else, I would recommend hunting down some Aquafina as your distilled water choice. Like I said, 2 batches, stored going on 3 years and I've never had the "boogers" floating in the water. For what it's worth I do store both the goose neck bottle and opaque gallon jug in a cabinet.

Here's the jug if anyone is interested:

Back