Record cleaning - what's your method?

I’ve never used the ttvj but that’s not good to state the obvious, if it’s from the cleaning solution it’s going to in the grooves as well. Also I’m assuming it wasn’t there before you cleaned it. I have had used records exhibit that before cleaning.
Correct it was not there before cleaning. I made sure to check with some records that I cleaned last night.

Lately I've noticed that my TTVJ fluid is leaving a white streaky stain on the dead wax. Anyone else experienceView attachment 34956 this?
I realized yesterday that on my Squeaky Clean RCM the part where the valve screws in cracked so it's not closing the valve all the way. So I wonder if it's affecting the suction and causing it. I emailed Nick from there to order a replacement and because he is awesome he's sending me a part free of charge!

I realized yesterday that on my Squeaky Clean RCM the part where the valve screws in cracked so it's not closing the valve all the way. So I wonder if it's affecting the suction and causing it. I emailed Nick from there to order a replacement and because he is awesome he's sending me a part free of charge!

Most shop vacs actually generate more suction than you want, so venting a little shouldn’t hurt. But good on Nick.

Would anyone recommend Projects new RCM?
Looks good and seems to be easy to use for a newbie to cleaning records.

Haven’t heard much about it, but as a rule of thumb Pro-Ject makes quality equipment.

Most shop vacs actually generate more suction than you want, so venting a little shouldn’t hurt. But good on Nick.

Haven’t heard much about it, but as a rule of thumb Pro-Ject makes quality equipment.
I have a 1.5HP so I usually only keep the vent slightly open. With the screw not working I don't have any control over it.

I'd love to use a vacuum cleaner device, but the storage of a unit plus the noise wouldn't go over well in our home.

So for now, it's Spin Clean, and when I want a really good job, I pay my local HiFi shop $3 for an ultrasonic cleaning.
Now that the shop is closed, I may reach out to a friend/neighbor who has an Okki Nokki if I need that.

I use a KAB EV-1 and a 2.5hp shop vac. I have an old beater turntable that I use to soak and scrub on, then transfer to the KAB to vacuum. They sell the EV-1 for 139 bucks. One of the things I like about it is that there is no particle board used in it, so if it gets wet it doesn't swell. They license the top piece from Nitty Gritty.

I have some AI6 for the stuff that is real dirty and needs a good soak. Most stuff I just use a homebrew fluid (4 parts distilled 1 part Isopropyl a couple drops of dish soap). My only complaint I guess is that when I set up it takes a good amount of room, so I really don't use it prior to playing, but just a good clean before it goes in a sleeve city sleeve.

Works a treat! I already had the shop vac, so not expensive. But seriously WAY better than the spin clean i used before. Putting a vacuum system in use is easily the best improvement I've made to my system, way more than component upgrades.

Should I get one of these?

Or does anyone have a more recommended stilus brush?

I already have a zero dust. But that only cleans the tip of the stilus. I noticed there are still fuzzies attached to the sides / top of the needle.

Having a gold3 now I want to try to put more effort into cleaning that.

I already have a zero dust. But that only cleans the tip of the stilus. I noticed there are still fuzzies attached to the sides / top of the needle.

I think I have the Pro-Ject one:

They are all pretty much the same, I bet.

I've been using the MoFi cleaner and brush, the brush is pretty much standard. Just be careful what styli you clean with this, some manufacturers specifically state not to use any kind of cleaning fluid. .

1585861645143.png

For the folks who have either specifically mentioned, or also believe a vacuum record player is one of the best upgrades you made to your system - are you referring only to the difference it made to old/used records? Is their a noticeable jump in quality to brand new records too?

For the folks who have either specifically mentioned, or also believe a vacuum record player is one of the best upgrades you made to your system - are you referring only to the difference it made to old/used records? Is their a noticeable jump in quality to brand new records too?

The dirtier they are, the bigger the improvement. But there’s a noticeable improvement with most new albums as well.

The dirtier they are, the bigger the improvement. But there’s a noticeable improvement with most new albums as well.
Ugh, I was afraid of that. What cleaners out there are worth dropping money on? Is the record doctor decent? Anyone out there have one?

Last edited:

+1

I read about mold release stuff, or maybe it's just grinding against a paper sleeve as it gets moved around a warehouse, but I now clean all the new stuff when I get it. You are right, it's easily noticed.

Ugh, I was afraid of that. What cleaners out there are worth dropping money on? Is the record doctor decent? Anyone out there have one?

If you have a shop vac, the KAB EV-1 works well. Both that and the record doctor use Nitty Gritty's top plate. I think the people with the Squeaky Clean (?? I think it's called that) are happy with theirs, it needs a shop vac too.

All I know is that having a vacuum has been a total improvement for me compared to the spin clean.

Back