Record cleaning - what's your method?

one of my only real questions is if your record already came in a mofi or QRP inner sleeves... do you still have to put it in a new mofi or QRP inner sleeve.. just so i know for saving money
Nah. My understaning with new records is mainly washing them to get paper dust off - a non-issue with poly-lined inners - and mold-release compound and I've never had an issue with records getting dirty again from using the inners they came with if it's poly-lined.

Nah. My understaning with new records is mainly washing them to get paper dust off - a non-issue with poly-lined inners - and mold-release compound and I've never had an issue with records getting dirty again from using the inners they came with if it's poly-lined.
so cleaning records that are already in polylined sleeves are pointless?

so cleaning records that are already in polylined sleeves are pointless?
Didn't mean to suggest that, just that I have no worries about continuing to use the sleeves they came in. My understanding is they add a sort of lubricant to the vinyl mixture so that they don't stick to the stampers at pressing. It's not wet or oily, I doubt any but the smallest trace amount would get on the inner, but it's still worth washing off the surface of the LP.

Didn't mean to suggest that, just that I have no worries about continuing to use the sleeves they came in. My understanding is they add a sort of lubricant to the vinyl mixture so that they don't stick to the stampers at pressing. It's not wet or oily, I doubt any but the smallest trace amount would get on the inner, but it's still worth washing off the surface of the LP.
you saved me about 15 more dollars

I've never adhered to the "must replace inner sleeve after cleaning" philosophy. I don't begrudge anyone who does, it just isn't for me. A pre-listen brush seems to take care of any little "re-contamination" that might have occurred from re-using a sleeve. Maybe if I had a higher-end system I would notice a difference?

OTOH, if the inner is visibly dirty - poly-lined or not - I'll replace it.

I've never adhered to the "must replace inner sleeve after cleaning" philosophy. I don't begrudge anyone who does, it just isn't for me. A pre-listen brush seems to take care of any little "re-contamination" that might have occurred from re-using a sleeve. Maybe if I had a higher-end system I would notice a difference?

OTOH, if the inner is visibly dirty - poly-lined or not - I'll replace it.
I actually do it more as a signal that I've cleaned the record so if I pull something older that I got before my RCM I know if it got a proper cleaning at any point.

one of my only real questions is if your record already came in a mofi or QRP inner sleeves... do you still have to put it in a new mofi or QRP inner sleeve.. just so i know for saving money

I usually don't switch. Worst case I'll just use the vpi to reclean them again anyways. with the vpi it's to easy/quick to clean before play to not do it.

If you have a poly sleeve already provided but are worried about dust or crap in sleeve after cleaning. Open sleeve and give it a good hard blow inside.
That should do the job ! I dont replace any poly lined sleeve i get, just the paper ones. Really cant believe its going to make a jot of diff to future spins.

If you have a poly sleeve already provided but are worried about dust or crap in sleeve after cleaning. Open sleeve and give it a good hard blow inside.
That should do the job ! I dont replace any poly lined sleeve i get, just the paper ones. Really cant believe its going to make a jot of diff to future spins.
But then spit/moisture from your mouth! 😫

I'm thinking of switching back to TTVJ fluid since I've noticed the Phoenix fluid from Sleeve City leaves a white residue on spots where some droplets have been and that makes me nervous.

But question, what do you all store your TTVJ in. The Phoenix gallons come in an opaque gallon container that you would think would be easy enough to find something similar online but isn't.

But then spit/moisture from your mouth! 😫

Have we forgotten about canned air?

Last edited:
I'm thinking of switching back to TTVJ fluid since I've noticed the Phoenix fluid from Sleeve City leaves a white residue on spots where some droplets have been and that makes me nervous.

But question, what do you all store your TTVJ in. The Phoenix gallons come in an opaque gallon container that you would think would be easy enough to find something similar online but isn't.

Perfect! I've literally been searching Amazon for the last 20 minutes and didn't see that one.

Have we forgotten about canned air?
Canned air is more expensive than a new sleeve. I agree adding spit to a dirty sleeve doesn’t help things at all. The way I see it, the shipping sleeve prevents scratches while my replacement sleeve subsidizes the costs that would inevitably be higher if we demanded that manufacturers clean records before packing. The only possible compromise would be a manufacturer included extra, hygienic sleeve to be used once the record is cleaned.

Canned air is more expensive than a new sleeve. I agree adding spit to a dirty sleeve doesn’t help things at all. The way I see it, the shipping sleeve prevents scratches while my replacement sleeve subsidizes the costs that would inevitably be higher if we demanded that manufacturers clean records before packing. The only possible compromise would be a manufacturer included extra, hygienic sleeve to be used once the record is cleaned.
You don't haveta use a whole can per sleeve. I wouldn't even think you'd have to use more than a squirt or two if we're really that worried about it how contact-dirty the sleeve it came in is.

i really dont think my quick blow into sleeve to remove a bit of dust is depositing much if any moisture - well iknow its not, I will carry on.

bought this little rack for 45s the other day, i think its from the 70s or 80s, hoping to use it as a drying rack after spin cleaning.

20200123_160737[1].jpg 20200123_160751[1].jpg

A question...
Pretty much everybody replaces the inner sleeves after cleaning a record. I did so too after a friend with an RCM cleaned some of my records. However I do have a few records where I'd prefer to keep the original inner sleeve. Is it possible to clean the inner sleeve, and how would I do that?

A question...
Pretty much everybody replaces the inner sleeves after cleaning a record. I did so too after a friend with an RCM cleaned some of my records. However I do have a few records where I'd prefer to keep the original inner sleeve. Is it possible to clean the inner sleeve, and how would I do that?
If I want to keep the original inner sleeve I just slide it into the sleeve next to the new inner sleeve. 95% of the time it fits no problem. If it doesn't I just keep it in the outer sleeve.

Back