Record cleaning - what's your method?

I use a wire puzzle rack for air drying. This way the records are standing vertically minimizing falling dust exposure as well as workspace required.

How the hell do you get the soap from the cap into the brush

It seems almost impossible and I never feel I'm getting the stuff out

How the hell do you get the soap from the cap into the brush

It seems almost impossible and I never feel I'm getting the stuff out

Just fill the cap and pour it down over the two brushes after you’ve filled the tank with water?

Just fill the cap and pour it down over the two brushes after you’ve filled the tank with water?
Yeah.. but I feel like I'm spilling and it's not reaching the brushes.. I'm getting some stuff out though, not at the very bottom but I do see a lot of stuff like hairs and dirt

Yeah.. but I feel like I'm spilling and it's not reaching the brushes.. I'm getting some stuff out though, not at the very bottom but I do see a lot of stuff like hairs and dirt

Just gently pour it over the top of the soft brushes. If a bit falls into the water that’s not the end of the world.

i think you are overthinking the whole spin clean thing a bit
Me overthink?

What can you possibly be talking about

tumblr_p17ajqisHq1tx45yjo1_400.gifv

Well after what I estimate to be between 300-350 hours of use my “rovsun” cavitation bath has stopped working, only wish the same was still available on amazon so I could return the bad one. These seem to be like the vtf scale many of us use from amazon, one scale sold under many names.

edit: after receiving the new bath from amazon with digital controls it is not exactly the same although they may be made by the same company as the manual is for four different models and both of mine are in the manual.

Last edited:
So I am investigating a new record cleaning system and am looking for some advice. My current method is pretty basic -- discwasher+D4 fluid for new albums or when something looks a little grimy, an audioquest dry brush otherwise. I purchased a spinclean but have found that I just don't have the time/space to keep up with it, the "single step" of the discwasher -- a minute or two between taking the record out of the sleeve and enjoying the music -- is realistically about what I can handle, I just don't see a two-step wash/rinse process in my near future. And a separate vacuum-based machine is out due to space/cost constraints.

I'm just about finished with my bottle of D4 fluid and figure this the time to see if there are other solutions out there. I've been looking at the feedback about the Vinyl Zyme from TTVJ but I don't see any directions on their site. Does this require a separate rinse step, or can that work with a pretty basic wash+wipe+play? If not, does anyone have any recommendations for a solution to replace the D4 that doesn't require a rinse? Thanks...

TT
So I am investigating a new record cleaning system and am looking for some advice. My current method is pretty basic -- discwasher+D4 fluid for new albums or when something looks a little grimy, an audioquest dry brush otherwise. I purchased a spinclean but have found that I just don't have the time/space to keep up with it, the "single step" of the discwasher -- a minute or two between taking the record out of the sleeve and enjoying the music -- is realistically about what I can handle, I just don't see a two-step wash/rinse process in my near future. And a separate vacuum-based machine is out due to space/cost constraints.

I'm just about finished with my bottle of D4 fluid and figure this the time to see if there are other solutions out there. I've been looking at the feedback about the Vinyl Zyme from TTVJ but I don't see any directions on their site. Does this require a separate rinse step, or can that work with a pretty basic wash+wipe+play? If not, does anyone have any recommendations for a solution to replace the D4 that doesn't require a rinse? Thanks...
TTVJ does not require a rinse.

I've recently been trying the Sleeve City non alcoholic Phoenix fluid which says it doesn't need a rinse. I haven't tried it enough time to make a verdict but so far so good.

My only concern with using the TTVJ in a non-vacuum regimen is what it does to "stuff". Meaning, this fluid does a great job breaking down crap, even any little "whatevers" that end up in the bottle will start to turn to, for lack of a better word, snot, lol. So if your not pulling (vacuuming) this completely out of the groove, is there a chance for goobers to form in the groove, possibly also effecting your stylus?

This is all just a guess and a good rinse cycle might be the trick, I use the TTVJ and would recommend it highly, but that recommendation would be based on using it with a vacuum system as mentioned above. Not sure, maybe someone wiser than I can chime in on my nonsense :)

I misunderstood that the TTVJ wouldn't be used with a vacuum. I'm not sure I'd do that actually.

The Phoenix cleaning kit from SS says it doesn't need a rinse if you use a thin layer. I use mine in my Squeaky Clean but would also be skeptical not using it with a vacuum since it leaves a white residue where my cleaning brush sits. You can read reviews and decide for yourself.

I misunderstood that the TTVJ wouldn't be used with a vacuum. I'm not sure I'd do that actually.

The Phoenix cleaning kit from SS says it doesn't need a rinse if you use a thin layer. I use mine in my Squeaky Clean but would also be skeptical not using it with a vacuum since it leaves a white residue where my cleaning brush sits. You can read reviews and decide for yourself.
Thanks for the advice - I ended up grabbing a bottle of TTVJ and then also a discounted bundle from MusicDirect that includes a MoFI brush, MoFi Super Record Wash and some MoFI sleeves. I'll test out both and see which works best for me -- I have a copy of Layla and Other Asserted Love Songs that has about 50 years of crud crackling in the grooves and should be a pretty good test subject...

Thanks for the advice - I ended up grabbing a bottle of TTVJ and then also a discounted bundle from MusicDirect that includes a MoFI brush, MoFi Super Record Wash and some MoFI sleeves. I'll test out both and see which works best for me -- I have a copy of Layla and Other Asserted Love Songs that has about 50 years of crud crackling in the grooves and should be a pretty good test subject...

Remember that the soak time is very important. Soak as long as you can without permitting the solution to dry.

one of my only real questions is if your record already came in a mofi or QRP inner sleeves... do you still have to put it in a new mofi or QRP inner sleeve.. just so i know for saving money

I replace the sleeve after I clean the album.
just saying due to having a few records that already have mofi sleeves and already QRP sleeves which are basically MoFi so i just try to save a BIT of money

just saying due to having a few records that already have mofi sleeves and already QRP sleeves which are basically MoFi so i just try to save a BIT of money

I switch too. The argument would be if the sleeve has a dirty record in it some of that dirt will be in the sleeve so why would you put a clean record back into a dirty sleeve. It’s like getting out of the shower and putting on yesterday’s clothes. Also I prefer the sleeve city inners to the mofi/qrp etc (I think they are more sturdy) and so am happier to be using them too. That said, you consider that and what you think yourself and do what you think is best for you.

Last edited:
I switch too. The argument would be if the sleeve has a dirty record in it some of that dirt will be in the sleeve so why would you put a clean record back into a dirty sleeve. It’s like getting out of the shower and putting on yesterday’s clothes. Also I prefer the sleeve city inners to the mofi/qrp etc (I think they are more sturdy) and so am happier to be using them too. That said, you consider that and what you think yourself and do what you think is best for you.
on the one hand i already have put like 150 records in mofi sleeves so i cant really switch or my OCD will go crazy

but also goddamn they are expensive and i dunno if i can pay 60 bucks to finish my whole collection and have a little extra for another few months (this is literally the only debate for me)

Back