PopTarts Unite!

omg
all hail Grimes
we are not worthy

This song is incredible! Grimes airy, sensual. somber vocals glisten over that dazzling, apocalyptic, dawn/sunrise beat! The synth builds are gorgeous and Grimes ghostly scat-humming in the background gives the track that nice ethereal, spiritual-awakening like tone.

I’m really looking forward to her new album now! 🙋‍♂️

All three are going to be awesome. Colour me hyped!
Not in my opinion. I feel like we are going to get just a ‘good’ album from Charli XCX soon, just like we did with Carly Rae Jepsen. Charly Rae Jepsen’s E•MO•TION is spectacular, but her latest effort was pretty good, nothing special. I seriously feel we will be getting the same with Charli XCX and I’ll explain why.

Charli XCX really surprised me with her Vroom Vroom EP. It had that steel-manufacturing, sleek, cheeky, raunchy, underground dance-club feel. The pounding, jittery rhythms, the screaming, squealing synths, the throbbing percussions, the animated, sassy, exaggerated tones in Charli XCX’s voice etc. The effects and samples on that EP were tasteful, odd yet thrilling! it felt like she was on the verge of doing something groundbreaking! Then she released two amazing mixtapes the year after in 2017. The music was a nice blend of retro, old-school glistening 80’s pop and abrasive yet colourful electronic. The switch-ups and transitions on tracks tracks like “I Got It”, “Lipstick” & “Femmebot” were jaw-dropping! She was killing it! I felt like Charli XCX finally found her sound. She was irresistibly sweet and sexy, but very fashion, new-age, runway model, industrial like. The booming bass, crisp snares and cool, calm and collected voice was like the ultimate sound!

However, with all these singles leading up to Charli XCX’s “Charli”, I’m not getting any of that really. Charli XCX sounds thin on “Cross You Out”. The beat was clumsy and dull too. “1999” was a pretty good track, but sounds a bit safe, like a dumbed down, monotone version of her club banger “Roll With Me”. Charli XCX outperformed Troye Sivan too. It’s a bit too sing-a-long like as well I felt. “Warm” sounds quite awkward with the heavy auto tune over the playful, lush rhythm. HAIM sound quite undistinguishable as well and don’t bring anything to the track. The track feels quite stiff unfortunately. Blame It On Your Love is a pretty good track but felt a bit predictable and safe. As a result, it feels a little generic. “Gone” is a triumphant track though! I love that song! It’s a little quirky, a bit industrial, a bit robotic, but it’s ultimately a hypnotic, minimal, sexy, sharp song!

I think this new Charli XCX album is going to be a good album but nothing amazing like her last projects from 2016-2017. I feel like she’s lost that razor-sharp, plastic barbie, sexy spark she had since her release of the Vroom Vroom EP.

FKA Twigs’ “Cellophane” was unsettling, dramatic, heart-felt and suspenseful. I’ve already explained Grimes latest single and how that left me amazed! I think they could be on their way to release something special. Charli XCX though? Not with this album. It already feels a bit too one-dimensional so far in sound.

Last edited:
I've never gotten into FKA Twigs but I've also never really tried to. Where should I start?
Start with LP1. The sounds are crisp, warped and stimulating. It’s a fusion of trip-hop, experimental, pop, hip-hop. It’s a thrilling listen. FKA Twigs whispery vocals are chilling and sexy. I think you might love the album! It’s one of my favourite albums of the 2010’s!!!

How is everyone else feeling with the lead-up to Charli XCX’s new album? Six singles on the album are already out!

Anyone think that this new Charli XCX album might best album of the year? Or at least best pop album of the year?

You think it will be better than Lizzo’s, Billie Eilish’s or Dorian Electra’s albums, which also came out earlier this year? Those are my favourite pop albums from this year so far!

Do we predict this Charli XCX album to be better are worse than Carly Rae Jepsen’s Dedicated?

How is everyone else feeling with the lead-up to Charli XCX’s new album? Six singles on the album are already out!

Anyone think that this new Charli XCX album might best album of the year? Or at least best pop album of the year?

You think it will be better than Lizzo’s, Billie Eilish’s or Dorian Electra’s albums, which also came out earlier this year? Those are my favourite pop albums from this year so far!

Do we predict this Charli XCX album to be better are worse than Carly Rae Jepsen’s Dedicated?
I don't want to have to compare all these albums by women. I want to celebrate each of them. They are all killing it!

I'm very excited for it!

I had a dream last night that Charli XCX invited me at her place to listen to her new album. But when it started playing for some reason it was Taylor Swift's ME!. Charli then left, which made me angry, so I took her CD and left. When I came home and wanted to listen to the album I realised that was not possible as I have a Macbook and no CD player. I woke up very disappointed.

Long story short: I still have high hopes for the album and am very much looking forward to hearing the full thing.

BTW, I think I recall her mentioning releasing another song tomorrow

tumblr_pbx5k211Go1tl0vrco1_500.gif

Anybody listen to the new Bird & the Bee Interpreting the Masters: A Tribute to Van Halen?

I'm going through it now for the first time. I dug what they did with the Hall & Oates singles. Cover songs are difficult and I'm generally anti, but for whatever reason the Hall & Oates stuff worked. It was far enough away without being far away at all from the originals. So when I saw this was coming out and that it was Van Halen the Ooooh this has potential lightbulb was flickering... but it doesn't feel like it's breathing new life into Van Halen jams that are tired. It's not bad and it's well done, but I'm not getting into it.

Anybody listen to the new Bird & the Bee Interpreting the Masters: A Tribute to Van Halen?

I'm going through it now for the first time. I dug what they did with the Hall & Oates singles. Cover songs are difficult and I'm generally anti, but for whatever reason the Hall & Oates stuff worked. It was far enough away without being far away at all from the originals. So when I saw this was coming out and that it was Van Halen the Ooooh this has potential lightbulb was flickering... but it doesn't feel like it's breathing new life into Van Halen jams that are tired. It's not bad and it's well done, but I'm not getting into it.
I played Jump in the jqbx room a few weeks ago! It is odd. I like their hall and Oates one a bit better.

Back