PopTarts Unite!

It's just a really bizarre idea to me! I know bands like Streetlight Manifesto have re-recorded old albums but never heard of re-recording an entire *catalogue*. It could be really interesting, do you think she'll update it or try to just replicate the original recordings?
I have no idea actually. I feel like there are a ton of questions. Same artwork? Same band? Are the fans supposed to buy a whole new but same album? How long will this take and what does it mean for the lover tour? Is the $ it takes to do this really worth it? I get it. Scooter effed her. But is it best to just walk away with your head held high on this one? I don't know. It's a gross situation.

I think it’s brilliant. It’s going to be expensive, but she will then have complete control over those albums. She will essentially make Scooter’s acquisition of BM nearly worthless as nobody who wants to use license her music will have any reason to deal with BM. It would be in her interest to recreate those masters as exact as possible.

I think she will go for an exact recreation. There really won’t be any difference on the consumer end, and no real reason to rebuy the records. This is all about licensing and ownership of what is done with that music.

This could very well be a major moment in the history of the music business.

I think it’s brilliant. It’s going to be expensive, but she will then have complete control over those albums. She will essentially make Scooter’s acquisition of BM nearly worthless as nobody who wants to use license her music will have any reason to deal with BM. It would be in her interest to recreate those masters as exact as possible.

I think she will go for an exact recreation. There really won’t be any difference on the consumer end, and no real reason to rebuy the records. This is all about licensing and ownership of what is done with that music.

This could very well be a major moment in the history of the music business.
As soon as I heard of his acquisition of her, knew that she was not thrilled with it, I thought why not just re-record a couple albums to start the process of getting out of it. I’m glad she is.

First full listen of Lover.

It is too long! By about 6 songs. BUT - I giggled a lot during I Forgot You Existed. Who is it about? It is such a diss! I loved the Dixie Chicks song - it's sad. I like The Man and The Archer and Cruel Summer. The bridge on ME! is still there. Albeit a tiny bit better. You Need to Calm Down is a fun jam. There's a lot to dig into here. This is going to take a few listens.

I've listened to Lover twice now and I really like it. It seems she scaled the production back quite a bit from the past couple releases and I definitely appreciate the more simplistic sound. I agree that it's too long, but I always say that about albums that are more than 14 songs, it's just too much to take in. There are several songs that sound mostly similar to me that I feel could have been cut down. They're good, I'm just not sure they're really adding much. Some early standouts for me are Cruel Summer, Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince, I Think He Knows, The Archer, Soon You'll Get Better, You Need to Calm Down and Daylight.

Edit: Also, just now seeing Annie Clark wrote Cruel Summer with Taylor and Jack Antonoff, pretty interesting.

18 songs is just way too much. But in general, Lover is... ok? The best songs are "Lover", "You need to calm down", and those songs where she sounds pre-1989 ("Soon you'll get better" and "Paper rings"). There are some moments where Taylor sounds like a girl trying to sound like Taylor Swift circa 1989.
But yeah, the main critic is that this could've been four songs shorter.

addenda: I HATE "Me".

ME needs to go too
It is definitely a silly song. But I feel like younger kids would like it, my nieces love it (they're 3 and 5). And I have no problem with her appealing to them. But I get what you mean. The album is still too long for me to decide which of the songs I wouldn't need or should go - I haven't been able to adequately digest an 18 song album enough yet to cull.

Back