PopTarts Unite!

And now my thoughts: How long has this been out because that is how long I've missed this in my life. This is really good and completely in my wheelhouse.

I think the LP released in March? It's such a fun record all the way through. She's playing the 9:30 but I missed my shot at getting tickets!

A friend shared her with me. She was introduced by her hairdresser, which is kind of on brand. 'Don't Kill My Vibe' was his song.

Sigrid was pretty fun when I caught her for a few songs a couple SXSW's back, and I was hoping to snag her RSD album last year but I think it was UK only 😞 loving that video!

one of my biggest compelling reasons to come back to the forum today was...this Taylor Swift album. Yeah, no joke. Since I started listening to it, I basically haven't stopped.

I've never enjoyed Taylor Swift. Never hated her or anything. Just wasn't my thing really. But I got roped into hearing a good bit of Lover over and over again at work, and it made me feel compelled to try the whole thing.

As a whole, yeah, it's not a perfect album. But something about it sounds refreshing. Or freeing. Like no longer do I feel like there's this attachment to it about Taylor wanting to address something larger re: her reputation or people just generally bad-mouthing her in the press or whatever. She sounds like she's letting it all go, in a way, and just having fun. And writing some really compelling pop songs.

Maybe I just needed something like this in my life right now, I don't know. See, I found CRJ's Emotion earlier this year - finally, finally listened to it and I was blown away. And Lover gives me the feelings about that record that I had. Except, Emotion is clearly better cause it's no filler - every song rules. Lover has a few duds I'd easily take off. Namely, I don't enjoy: London Boy (catchy, but supremely goofy in the lyrical department), You Need To Calm Down (again the lyrics just don't work for me), ME! (probably the worst of them all), The Man (clumsy lyrics but it's still catchy and I like the idea), and opener I Forgot That You Existed (just not something that really gets me excited).

But...everything else, I just...really really enjoy. So much so I just want to talk about it. I've already probably bored my girlfriend by saying "hey this thing is really good" too many times.

Favorite songs at the moment: The Archer (#1), Cruel Summer, Paper Rings (this was honestly the first one that when I heard it at work I was like...who is this? I gotta check this album out), Soon You'll Get Better, False God (a little silly in the lyrics, but I like that slow jam feeling).

I wouldn't have dreamed I'd be into a Taylor Swift album honestly. Just thought I was kinda too old for it/not into it. But here I am.

And now I've even gone back to listen to 1989. Again, I'd take a few songs off, but it's good. i prefer Lover though.
I listened to Lover a few times the day it came out and liked it, but didn't listen to it again for a little bit. I came back to it this week and am in love with it. I think it's great. That stretch of I Think He Knows, Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince and Paper Rings is fire, just straight jams!haha Some of the songs I didn't appreciate initially have really started to grow on me, particularly the slower more low tempo songs. I told my wife the other day, I think at the end of the day this is going to be her best album. I love Red and Speak Now, and really enjoy 1989 and Reputation and her first two albums, but like you said, it just feels like there's something different about her on this album.

Lover has grown on me as well. I'm in the opinion that trimming it would make it a much better album (I also enjoyed the recent TOOL/Swifties feud when they took the No. 1 spot from Lover with Fear Inoculum; Great album btw).

To be fair, I have only listened to 1989 once. It’ll probably grow on me, but for now Lover is a go-to. Also yeah the song Lover is another great one.

Side note: CRJ’s Dedicated has grown on me but I don’t find myself wanting to listen to it as much as I thought I would.
Emotion is the better album. But Dedicated is great also. Maybe seeing it live made it hit home more for me. But CRJ is just so good at pop. So so so good.

Dedicated is amazing! One of if not my top album of the year. EMOTION is a better album of course but I love that she took it in another direction, stylistically and musically and glad that she didn't just do EMOTION pt. 2. A precise and mature album!

Slay is life, Slay is love.

The new Tegan and Sara album is.... not overwhelming me. At all. I'm whelmed, maybe even underwhelmed.

Is this a B-sides type of album? I'm struggling to find any song on it that would be a "hit".

The new Tegan and Sara album is.... not overwhelming me. At all. I'm whelmed, maybe even underwhelmed.

Is this a B-sides type of album? I'm struggling to find any song on it that would be a "hit".

The story is they found their old demos back from when they were teenagers and took the best bits from it and reworked them into a “modern T&S” album. I only really took notice of them when they went synthpop so this album hasn’t really been my thing. It sounds like what you’d find if you googled royalty free indie rock music back in the late 00s.

@gaporter - this is my fave podcast. And they did an episode about Charli XCX! (They've actually done a few, they are big fans). I listened on my way home - it's great. The podcast is all about pop and really digs into it. I highly recommend it for all of my fellow pop tarts. But gap - check out this episode:

@gaporter - this is my fave podcast. And they did an episode about Charli XCX! (They've actually done a few, they are big fans). I listened on my way home - it's great. The podcast is all about pop and really digs into it. I highly recommend it for all of my fellow pop tarts. But gap - check out this episode:

I'll give it a listen ^_^

Back