Political Discussion

Apparently all the Republican senators in Oregon have walked out and have been boycotting sessions for nearly two weeks now:

It takes most of the article to get to the reason they're boycotting: House Bill 2002, a proposal that would expand protections for abortion and gender-affirming care in the state. So it's a play within the current culture war bs the Right is peddling to sow moral panic amongst the voters. I usually appreciate OPB but feel conflicted that they give so much credence and voice to the Republicans walking out before they clarify the discriminatory reason they're staging their protest. Portland might get a lot of attention (good and bad) for being a liberal paradise (though I have thoughts), Oregon at large is full of some of the most petulant, snowflake Republicans I've encountered.

According to a statistic shown on NBC's Today show this morning, Attacks on politicians or their offices are up 400% over the last 5 years.

People are angry, and coming in bad intentions. Just yesterday a man attacked a politician's office with a baseball bat injuring several, including an intern on her first day.

According to a statistic shown on NBC's Today show this morning, Attacks on politicians or their offices are up 400% over the last 5 years.

People are angry, and coming in bad intentions. Just yesterday a man attacked a politician's office with a baseball bat injuring several, including an intern on her first day.

No correlation between the rise of Donald Trump and this at all I'm guessing.

They're terrified of young voters.

"...he’ll call for increasing the automatic voting age to 25, unless a citizen 18 or older is enrolled in the military, works as a first-responder or passes the same civics test given to immigrants seeking American citizenship."
I would argue that anyone over 30 should have to pass the same test to vote, if we're going to administer civics tests.

In fact, administer them to all candidates for public office, and publish the results.

EDIT: Starting with the 2024 Presidential Election. Proctored, no cheating, potential candidate MUST pass with 90% or higher. Can re-take test but some questions change each time. Results must be made public, pass or fail.

Last edited:
Well, well. Seems DeSantis is finding out that Iger isn't playing around. Good for Disney. I feel bad for those who moved already or quit because they didn't want to move to Florida. Hopefully they can get some of those people back. So a cool billion dollars is now not going into Florida.

I read this as "mean white people", which I guess in this context is also true.
I will say this, when you watch the story, dude is not white.

He also admits when asked “just because you can do it, should you be doing it?” And he says “no”. Which means even he realizes he’s an asshole.

Recap of story I just saw on the Today Show regarding this year's graduating college students and job prospects.

• There are 32% fewer jobs this year compared to last year hiring recent college grads.
  • There are 50% more jobs than last year that do not require a college degree.
  • Seattle and Hartford CT have the most jobs available for recent college grads.
  • The Product/Project Manager position has the most available positions for recent college grads.
The reporters overall takeaway was this year's graduating class will be just fine. They survived covid and are very resourceful.

But, here I'm thinking, education is more expensive than ever, more jobs on the market don't require a degree, so likely means less pay. Student loan payments may be hard for many. Many won't get a comfortable salary and may have to work more than one job to get by.

With all this, the question came up on this segment about whether or not a college degree is worth the cost these days. And of course they dodged answering the question by deflecting. Essentially they said families need to have a discussion and decide if a college degree is the right path forward.

Back