Political Discussion

Weeeellllll, first, technically we didn't vote him in. The electoral college did that. You don't need the people behind you, you just need those delegates behind you.

Trump has really helped out all the struggling millionaires and billionaires out there. He reduced their taxes and let them shelter money from being taxed. He's done great things for the wealthy and the corporations, all while stepping all over the rest of us. Now, we then have to ask ourselves about our elected officials and whether they are simply looking the other way because they are also millionaires and they have seen their wealth increase too.

Where the left seems to mess up, is that they underestimate the right and their voter base. Most of the left feels intellectually superior to the right. We shake our heads when they don't wear masks at political rallies. We look flabbergasted when they believe the things that come out of the president's mouth. We laugh and make fun of their....um.....everything. And then we scratch our heads when the right digs their heels in to reject everything the left is saying as truth. Now, before everyone gets upset, I realize that the right does the same sort of thing when the call the left "snowflakes" and all that, but y'all do see that the reason for the divide is because everyone is too busy insulting each other to listen to anything the other side has to say. Largely due to the fact that everyone, and I mean everyone, believes that the other side is populated by nothing but idiots who will believe anything Trump/Fauchi/their pastor/scientists/Fox News/CNN tells them. But the truth is that there are shrewd players on both sides and if you want to know why republicans are looking the other way on Trump is because they are getting a benefit from it, NOT because they believe he's the great savior for our nation. Their self interests are influencing their votes--just like our self interest influences our votes.

My point is that calling these politicians stupid and dismissing them is how Hillary didn't get voted in last time. Everyone was so sure that no one would vote for him, and they were wrong. People voted for him, and the main reason they did so was because of their wallets. They like his economic policies of less taxes, even if they aren't rich enough to actually see a benefit. They believe that one day, they might be wealthy, because that is the lie the right sells. And the right sells this lie so well that it's really hard for the left to gain any ground when they do talk about wealth redistribution, because a large group of people are only voting with their economic interests in mind.
Agree with everything except the glaring omission of racism. Pretty sure that's why those with nothing material to gain voted and will vote again.

Public transportation is operating at a major loss this year for most cities and states. The MBTA included where ridership in July and August were only 10% of normal levels still.

The MBTA is requesting more financial funding from the federal government as they are operating at a more than 600 Million Dollar deficit year to date.

The MBTA says if they don't receive federal funding all capital investments in infrastructure and fleet will have to stop.

The MBTA has only done the bare minimal amount of maintenance required over the last 40 years to keep service running. And we are at the point where the entire red line, orange line and commuter rail fleet is past it's expected life and in desperate need of replacement. Tons of updates to the infrastructure and signaling for safety is needed. The MBTA says they can not do any of this without getting more funding.

At a time when we need to be replacing our fleet, adding increases to capacity and safety improvements this is a major set back. It will likely result in existing orders for fleet getting scaled back, orders approved but not yet placed being delayed. And trackwork and signal work being delayed. In terms of the subway, the red line which is over capacity and a huge bottle neck downtown where you can't get on trains because they are full can only have a maximum frequency of one train every 10 minutes under current track, equipment and signals. The plan was to upgrade everything and increase frequencies to every 3 minutes. And the upgrade to every 3 minutes if the first thing on the chopping block if they don't get the funding.

Public transportation is operating at a major loss this year for most cities and states. The MBTA included where ridership in July and August were only 10% of normal levels still.

The MBTA is requesting more financial funding from the federal government as they are operating at a more than 600 Million Dollar deficit year to date.

The MBTA says if they don't receive federal funding all capital investments in infrastructure and fleet will have to stop.

The MBTA has only done the bare minimal amount of maintenance required over the last 40 years to keep service running. And we are at the point where the entire red line, orange line and commuter rail fleet is past it's expected life and in desperate need of replacement. Tons of updates to the infrastructure and signaling for safety is needed. The MBTA says they can not do any of this without getting more funding.

At a time when we need to be replacing our fleet, adding increases to capacity and safety improvements this is a major set back. It will likely result in existing orders for fleet getting scaled back, orders approved but not yet placed being delayed. And trackwork and signal work being delayed. In terms of the subway, the red line which is over capacity and a huge bottle neck downtown where you can't get on trains because they are full can only have a maximum frequency of one train every 10 minutes under current track, equipment and signals. The plan was to upgrade everything and increase frequencies to every 3 minutes. And the upgrade to every 3 minutes if the first thing on the chopping block if they don't get the funding.
That sucks. The rail system in Boston is amazing but the last time I was there they had just had a couple derailments and I was fairly nervous riding it.

That sucks. The rail system in Boston is amazing but the last time I was there they had just had a couple derailments and I was fairly nervous riding it.

What really did us in was the 70's and 80's were saw a lot of service cuts. The interstate system was now in place and people were driving and not taking public transportation. By the late 80's and early 90's car traffic congestion was too much and Public transportation started to rebound. But no money was put into it, rather all state money went towards the big dig to put the highway infrastructure underground and reduce traffic bottlenecks. This also introduced a poison pill to the MBTA. The funding for the big dig is being paid for in part by the MBTA. Lawmakers took 25% from the MBTA's annual budget for the next 50 years to pay for the the big dig. This started back in 1999 so we have a good 30 years left of this nonsense where we don't have the proper funding for public transportation and improvements.

I'd like to share what I, and I'm sure many others, have to deal with within their own family's when it comes to Trump. I pray, I pray for my sanity and the will to bite my tongue on a regular basis, lol.

This is a post from my Aunt last night, she lives in GA.
Capture.JPG

I'd like to share what I, and I'm sure many others, have to deal with within their own family's when it comes to Trump. I pray, I pray for my sanity and the will to bite my tongue on a regular basis, lol.

This is a post from my Aunt last night, she lives in GA.
View attachment 66678
Looks like the herd mentality is working exactly as planned.

US will ban WeChat and TikTok downloads on Sunday - CNN

The Commerce Department plans to restrict access to TikTok and WeChat on Sunday as the Trump administration's executive orders against the two apps are set to take effect.

The Department said Friday that as of Sunday, any moves to distribute or maintain WeChat or TikTok on an app store will be prohibited.

In addition, the Department said, it will be illegal to host or transfer internet traffic associated with WeChat beginning Sunday. The same will be true for TikTok as of Nov. 12, it said.

Wow, I didn't realize they were going as far as to make it illegal for ISP to transfer internet traffic for WeChat and TikTok. This really is unprecedented.

Are we turning in to China?

this is just the worst fucking time...

fucking end this year, cancel the election, cancel the presidency in general, i feel like im partially going against my own morals by voting biden even though i know it will be better than trump because i know im conforming to something for a false sense of hope...

i just need some real hope that things will change for the better

Will dems be able to block a new nominee until the election? Or are we truly just fucked
Dems need 4 Republican Senators to block it. Likely will get 2 or 3 off the bat (Murkowski and Romney), a handful of others are down in tough reelection fights.

The magic day would presumptively be Nov. 30, when it is likely that Mark Kelly will be sworn in as the Democratic Senator for Arizona and knocks the number needed to 3.

Dems need 4 Republican Senators to block it. Likely will get 2 or 3 off the bat (Murkowski and Romney), a handful of others are down in tough reelection fights.

The magic day would presumptively be Nov. 30, when it is likely that Mark Kelly will be sworn in as the Democratic Senator for Arizona and knocks the number needed to 3.
And yes, I feel crass for having already worried myself into this analysis. She was a remarkable jurist and if but for Trump, we would be celebrating her life for the next month.

Step one win the presidency and senate step two nominate 3 new Supreme Court justices, step 4 kill the filibuster and make PR and DC States step 5 get shit done. None of it matters if The dumb fuck is re-elected.
Even if he loses in a landslide and challenges and sends it to a 6-3 conservative supreme court?

We are beyond fucked. Buy a gun.

Back