Political Discussion

I think forcing a vote would be political suicide for a decent amount of GOP senators in tight races. Hell, even Graham is on record saying to literally use his words against him that there shouldn’t be a vote. That sort of dishonesty is what will swing undecideds right before an election, and will no doubt be used against them in ads that will be put out by all this money pouring in for Dem candidates.

But if they do get a vote through and the Senate and Presidency flip, I think we’ll see DC statehood, Puerto Rico statehood, elimination of the filibuster, and more SCOTUS judges. All bets are off the table, it would be time to play hardball with the very party that’s been doing it for years.
The fact that this bumper sticker exist is very troublesome to me.

View attachment 66856
View attachment 66857

It doesn't give me a lot of confidence that Biden has any movement behind him. He is just the candidate who is not Trump.
Until you realize why Trump won. We’re talking less than 200,000 votes in areas where people don’t expect a movement.

In theory this should work both ways. Having a 6-3 majority on the court threatens the both the ACA and Roe Vs Wade.
I dont see it that way, I dont see this getting any dems that weren't going to vote out to the polls, but could easily get anti trump repubs to hold their nose and get out and vote for trump.

Also I strongly disagree here. Yes Clinton has more baggage, but Clinton at least was a fully functioning human being which I cant say the same for Biden.
I do not dispute that Clinton was more than capable and qualified to be President unfortunately she was a flawed and unliked candidate. If you just go by their Q ratings Biden is head and shoulders above Clinton. For lots of really dumb and irrational reasons, many voters had a distain for Clinton that they do not hold for Biden.
I dont see it that way, I dont see this getting any dems that weren't going to vote out to the polls, but could easily get anti trump repubs to hold their nose and get out and vote for trump.
I would tend to agree with this. That is why I included the qualifying “in theory” but as you implied earlier there is some apathy on the Left regarding Biden’s Candidacy. Course correcting the Supreme Court to prevent them from tearing down the very popular ACA, Roe V Wade, DACA, voting rights, etc... should be a rallying cry for those who have a tough time getting too excited about voting for Biden.

Last edited:
I do not dispute that Clinton was more than capable or qualified to be President unfortunately she was a flawed and unliked candidate. If you just go by their Q ratings Biden is head and shoulders above Clinton. For lots of really dumb and irrational reasons, many voters had a distain for Clinton that they do not hold for Biden.

I would tend to agree with this. That is why I included the qualifying “in theory” but as you implied earlier there is some apathy on the Left regarding Biden’s Candidacy. Course correcting the Supreme Court to prevent them from tearing down the very popular ACA, Roe V Wade, DACA, voting rights, etc... should be a rallying cry for those who have a tough time getting too excited about voting for Biden.
I agree that it should be, and maybe this terrible death will help force it in everyone's minds, but that was supposedly a rallying cry for 2016 as well due to Merrick Garland and it did not seem to drive increased turnout for Dems in that case.

I just worry that dems in general don't think about or care about the Supremes as much as Repubs do. I feel like many more would have voted Hillary if they did care about the Supremes since it was very obvious up to 4 new ones could come in during this term. I pray im wrong, but I thought Trump had the slight edge before and I see RGBs passing as a net gain for his reelection bid.

I just worry that dems in general don't think about or care about the Supremes as much as Repubs do. I feel like many more would have voted Hillary if they did care about the Supremes since it was very obvious up to 4 new ones could come in during this term. I pray im wrong, but I thought Trump had the slight edge before and I see RGBs passing as a net gain for his reelection bid.
I feel this way as well and the amount of people on the left who I see that say "both parties are the same!" and then someone brings up the Supreme Court and they seem confused and uncertain of how to maintain the same stance does a lot to enforce those fears. Like it's something they've never even considered and why start now.

I agree that it should be, and maybe this terrible death will help force it in everyone's minds, but that was supposedly a rallying cry for 2016 as well due to Merrick Garland and it did not seem to drive increased turnout for Dems in that case.
I agree and maybe I am too optimistic but the hope being that prior to Trump’s election many thought that governmental institutions would hold him in check and after 4 years and all the damage done to those institutions I would hope that voters would take the threat more seriously than they had previously. John Roberts [shudder] won’t be enough of a check on a 6-3 court.

Last edited:
I agree and maybe I am too optimistic but the hope being that prior to Trump’s election many thought that governmental institutions would hold him in check and after 4 years and all the damage done to those institutions I would hope that voters would take the more seriously than they had previously. John Roberts [shudder] won’t be enough of a check on a 6-3 court.
I am glad you have hope. I am having an especially hard time not being pessimistic and I would love nothing more than for my fears to be completely wrong.

I am glad you have hope. I am having an especially hard time not being pessimistic and I would love nothing more than for my fears to be completely wrong.

Same here because 2020.

Also, because so far this month Trump has been making an Electoral College comeback. Polls are showing Republicans are still going to go out and vote at nearly the same numbers as in 2016. And voting R / maintaining power / winning is more important to them than Trump's flaws.

I already have seen the 2020 election summed up as all depending on the dems voter turnout. And this is why the Republicans are going after mail in ballots so hard.

I am doing my best to stay positive, probably trying to convince myself that there is hope as much as anything. I appreciate everyone’s perspective even If I can’t convince anyone else, It feels good to put my thoughts out into the ether.

I already have seen the 2020 election summed up as all depending on the dems voter turnout. And this is why the Republicans are going after mail in ballots so hard.
And the main reason I'm trying to convince my friends to vote in person if they can. There is too much fuckery surrounding mail in voting for me to trust it this year

Same here because 2020.

Also, because so far this month Trump has been making an Electoral College comeback. Polls are showing Republicans are still going to go out and vote at nearly the same numbers as in 2016. And voting R / maintaining power / winning is more important to them than Trump's flaws.

I am sorry what is the sourcing for this, the only early voting signifiers I have seen are regarding absentee ballot requests and those request have been way up for Democrats.

Also polling averages both Countrywide and in battleground States has held pretty steadily in Biden’s favor.

I am sorry what is the sourcing for this, the only early voting signifiers I have seen are regarding absentee ballot requests and those request have been way up for Democrats.

Also polling averages both Countrywide and in battleground States has held pretty steadily in Biden’s favor.

And the Dems are still up.

The article was on CNN.com about Trump making an electoral college comeback (He's still behind). It's already linked by me in this thread in the the last week or so.

As for the election going to be based on turnout, That was from Chuck Todd on Meet The Press last weekend.

And the main reason I'm trying to convince my friends to vote in person if they can. There is too much fuckery surrounding mail in voting for me to trust it this year
Agreed, I would probably vote in person if I had the option. I live in a vote-by-mail State and I still drop my ballot in a drop box on Election Day. Though I do appreciate getting a few weeks to comb through the ballot at home before dropping it off. Also, sadly no “I Voted” sticker.

The article was on CNN.com about Trump making an electoral college comeback (He's still behind). It's already linked by me in this thread in the the last week or so.

As for the election going to be based on turnout, That was from Chuck Todd on Meet The Press last weekend.
All things I heard before 2016.

Fuck my dude, this...

This is classic Chris Cillizza clickbait garbage. This is the guy that does “think pieces” comparing the Presidential candidates to Game of Throne Characters. The guy is a hack. You should take most things he writes with a giant chunk of salt.

Agreed, I would probably vote in person if I had the option. I live in a vote-by-mail State and I still drop my ballot in a drop box on Election Day. Though I do appreciate getting a few weeks to comb through the ballot at home before dropping it off. Also, sadly no “I Voted” sticker.
My absentee ballot came with a sticker!

All things I heard before 2016.
Totally understandable. I think most Liberals are snake bit and overly pessimistic as a result of 2016. Personally I am very data driven and analytical when it comes to most things. I could go through lots of comps between 2016 and 2020 that are very good (at the moment) for Biden. Most polling for the 2018 elections was very on point also.

Back