Political Discussion

And moments ago McConnell has confirmed there will be a vote on the Senate Floor for Trump's nominee.

Who didn't see that one coming? We are so fucked.
The only glimmer is he did not say when or that they would be approved if they wait until after the election you might be able to get some lame duck Senators to abstain.... Yeah but more than likely we are fucked.

I think forcing a vote would be political suicide for a decent amount of GOP senators in tight races. Hell, even Graham is on record saying to literally use his words against him that there shouldn’t be a vote. That sort of dishonesty is what will swing undecideds right before an election, and will no doubt be used against them in ads that will be put out by all this money pouring in for Dem candidates.

But if they do get a vote through and the Senate and Presidency flip, I think we’ll see DC statehood, Puerto Rico statehood, elimination of the filibuster, and more SCOTUS judges. All bets are off the table, it would be time to play hardball with the very party that’s been doing it for years.

That sort of dishonesty is what will swing undecideds right before an election, and will no doubt be used against them in ads that will be put out by all this money pouring in for Dem candidates.
Or people will say “Damn, Republicans suckered Dems into believing they’d play fair AGAIN. These Democrat morons fall for it every time.”

It’s like in the debates when Hillary ridiculed Trump for the amount of tax he pays, or how he was buying his steel from China while touting the revival of American manufacturing. Did that make Trump a liar unworthy of the office? “That makes me smart,” he said in response. For some voters lying is only bad if the lies are told to people worth being honest to.

All bets are off the table, it would be time to play hardball with the very party that’s been doing it for years.

I remember when people hoped Obama would bring that in his first term after the massive failures and crimes of the Bush administration, the Iraq war, and the financial crisis.

And then again in Obama’s second term after the stonewalling and obstruction over the ACA.

Personally, I think it is a pipe dream to think any one of those things you listed would occur in a Joe Biden presidency, much less all of them, ESPECIALLY if he follows through on the implied single term commitment, which in Republicans’ eyes will make him a lame duck from day 1.

I think forcing a vote would be political suicide for a decent amount of GOP senators in tight races. Hell, even Graham is on record saying to literally use his words against him that there shouldn’t be a vote. That sort of dishonesty is what will swing undecideds right before an election, and will no doubt be used against them in ads that will be put out by all this money pouring in for Dem candidates.

But if they do get a vote through and the Senate and Presidency flip, I think we’ll see DC statehood, Puerto Rico statehood, elimination of the filibuster, and more SCOTUS judges. All bets are off the table, it would be time to play hardball with the very party that’s been doing it for years.

Chuck Todd was just talking about this on NBC. The GOP is walking a very fine and dangerous line.

Check mentioned that the SCOTUS nomination was a key part of the 2016 election. It could very well have been what allowed Trump to win the election. Lifelong republicans and Eve Angels. Conservative values on the SCOTUS are very important to them and their beliefs.

Mitch McConnell is banking that moving forward with Trump's nominee would be the GOP's Election War Cry. That doing their service of appointing a conservative justice would help both senate republicans and Trump in the polls.

But this has the potential to backfire and go very wrong for them.

The whole not allowing Obama's nominee in an election year but moving forward with Trump's may not sit well with everyone. Another thing that could backfire spectacularly is the fact that the Senate Republicans are unable to agree on anything related to a stimulus and COVID-19 relief and bring a vote to the floor whereas a vote for a SCOTUS nominee moves forward swiftly. This also my not sit well for republican voters whose jobs have been impacted by COVID-19.

RBG couldn’t have known back in 2015 that Trump would be the Republican nominee, or that he would go on to win the presidency. And she couldn’t have known that Scalia was going to die, or that McConnell was going to obstruct the nomination of Merrick Garland.

So I understand why she stayed on the court. She felt like she had contributions left to make, and the future looked at least somewhat hopeful. And by the time it was clear what was being risked, it was too late to change course without inviting disaster.

But with the benefit of hindsight...

I wish she had done it differently. That our country’s viability rested so heavily on the shoulders of a lone octogenarian woman in notoriously precarious health, is not a strong position. And clearly, she knew that, as did the rest of the country, when we hung on every update about each of her frequent hospitalizations for various issues.

It’s a strange and unfortunate irony that remaining committed to an unwavering record of service to the country ultimately, through no personal fault of her own, resulted in a disservice to the country.

Chuck Todd was just talking about this on NBC. The GOP is walking a very fine and dangerous line.

Check mentioned that the SCOTUS nomination was a key part of the 2016 election. It could very well have been what allowed Trump to win the election. Lifelong republicans and Eve Angels. Conservative values on the SCOTUS are very important to them and their beliefs.

Mitch McConnell is banking that moving forward with Trump's nominee would be the GOP's Election War Cry. That doing their service of appointing a conservative justice would help both senate republicans and Trump in the polls.

But this has the potential to backfire and go very wrong for them.

The whole not allowing Obama's nominee in an election year but moving forward with Trump's may not sit well with everyone. Another thing that could backfire spectacularly is the fact that the Senate Republicans are unable to agree on anything related to a stimulus and COVID-19 relief and bring a vote to the floor whereas a vote for a SCOTUS nominee moves forward swiftly. This also my not sit well for republican voters whose jobs have been impacted by COVID-19.
Chuck Todd is just filling airtime with words. “Undecided” voters will see an effective party achieving its agenda by any means necessary while avoiding wasteful spending.

Anyone undecided at this point either isn’t paying enough attention to understand the hypocrisy of the moment or is just looking for a non-Trump justification to cast their vote for the Republican ticket. Show me an undecided voter who chooses Biden based on their discomfort with Mitch McConnell’s maneuvers and I’ll show you a unicorn.

Chuck Todd is just filling airtime with words. “Undecided” voters will see an effective party achieving its agenda by any means necessary while avoiding wasteful spending.

Anyone undecided at this point either isn’t paying enough attention to understand the hypocrisy of the moment or is just looking for a non-Trump justification to cast their vote for the Republican ticket. Show me an undecided voter who chooses Biden based on their discomfort with Mitch McConnell’s maneuvers and I’ll show you a unicorn.
Yeah, I think the Republicans are more than happy to play to their base whose priorities are winning and sticking it to the libs and none of them give a fuck about hypocrisy. They still feel comfortable that if they energize their base, they don't need to appeal to those unicorns, even if they do exist.

I think this basically ensured that if any evangelicals were considering not voting trump, they are now a lock for Rs, for instance. I think in those regards, people who had already decided to vote against may change their mind and vote for, because abortion is their number one issue. That seems much more likely than anyone being swayed by Rs taking the high road to seem fair.

The fact that this bumper sticker exist is very troublesome to me.

1600524336907.png
1600524353318.png

It doesn't give me a lot of confidence that Biden has any movement behind him. He is just the candidate who is not Trump.

Yeah, I think the Republicans are more than happy to play to their base whose priorities are winning and sticking it to the libs and none of them give a fuck about hypocrisy. They still feel comfortable that if they energize their base, they don't need to appeal to those unicorns, even if they do exist.

I think this basically ensured that if any evangelicals were considering not voting trump, they are now a lock for Rs, for instance. I think in those regards, people who had already decided to vote against may change their mind and vote for, because abortion is their number one issue. That seems much more likely than anyone being swayed by Rs taking the high road to seem fair.
To that end what needs to happen is Dems need to oppose Trump's nominee prior to the election (obviously), invoking the GOP's own rule from 2016 as a campaign weapon. Defeat Trump and win back the Senate on Nov 3, then attempt to keep seat open until Biden takes office and if GOP rams Trump pick thru anyway, add seats to the Court

This is the only option the then Dem’s have. That is it.

To that end what needs to happen is Dems need to oppose Trump's nominee prior to the election (obviously), invoking the GOP's own rule from 2016 as a campaign weapon. Defeat Trump and win back the Senate on Nov 3, then attempt to keep seat open until Biden takes office and if GOP rams Trump pick thru anyway, add seats to the Court

This is the only option the then Dem’s have. That is it.

The Dems don't have that option though unless they get 4 R's on board. If there is a vote down party lines or we don't get for 4 R's on our side there is no path the democrats have to delay or stop the nominee. If the R's are determined to do this, they can force it through and there is nothing the D's can do about it.

The fact that this bumper sticker exist is very troublesome to me.

View attachment 66856
View attachment 66857

It doesn't give me a lot of confidence that Biden has any movement behind him. He is just the candidate who is not Trump.
If someone is willing to stick that on their car they are probably gonna vote for Biden. It’s a bummer there isn’t enthusiasm but it should be enough.

Last edited:
The Dems don't have that option though unless they get 4 R's on board. If there is a vote down party lines or we don't get for 4 R's on our side there is no path the democrats have to delay or stop the nominee. If the R's are determined to do this, they can force it through and there is nothing the D's can do about it.
That is why I say attempt. I don’t think it will be successful the GOP has no shame, it is very unlikely but you have to try. That is why they will need to add at minimum of 2 (which would bring the court back to the “status quo” and likely easier to justify politically for all the callow moderate Democratic Senators) or Ideally 3.

Sadly this is all Biden does have going for him and I'm fairly confident its the reason he's going to lose
It was almost enough last time and if Biden has one thing going for him he is a better candidate than Clinton. Also there are some voters that are disillusioned with Trump that at the very least won’t vote for him this time. I think it is more likely that Biden wins than loses but would not be shocked if Trump eeked out another electoral college victory. Nothing’s shocking anymore.

Back