Political Discussion

Hey, it wasn't the picture I was painting and by no means do I think this is true for everyone.

It was just a statement a conservative political analyst said in an interview. As in this is one of the top concerns voters have.
Would link to that then. I think that's like your 2nd job right? Linking to things.

Would link to that then. I think that's like your 2nd job right? Linking to things.
:rolleyes:

It was on CNN's live broadcast. I don't have a link to a webpage that shows this interview.

Yeah, I do tend to post a lot of links. Simply because I'm so busy at work I just repost a link rather than compose a post to start a discussion on it.

It was on CNN's live broadcast. I don't have a link to a webpage that shows this interview.

Yeah, I do tend to post a lot of links. Simply because I'm so busy at work I just repost a link rather than compose a post to start a discussion on it.

Then what is the purpose?

Are you trying to inform people of something? Are you trying to get them to engage? If so then context is needed.

If there is no purpose then why post at all?

It's confusing.

Do you see a lot of engagement on your links? For me, this thread only works when individual thought is involved. I could post links of Pitchfork reviews all day around here but that's not going to provide any perspective on my thoughts.

One of the largest concerns in flyover country is that if Joe Biden is elected president they will be stuck in home confinement for months due to COVID-19.

Voting for Trump to protect their liberties, freedom and constitutional rights. Trump is expected to get about the same number of votes as he got in 2016. The the deciding factor of the election will be turnout. Will Biden get turnout like Obama?
Hey, it wasn't the picture I was painting and by no means do I think this is true for everyone.

It was just a statement a conservative political analyst said in an interview. As in this is one of the top concerns voters have.

I think there are two things going on here.
1. From my perspective, the issue with citation could be mitigated by something like: "I just saw Chris Cillizza say on CNN that [stupid Cillizza analysis]."

Instead, the post says "One of the largest concerns in flyover country is [stuff]."

There's nothing in that post to differentiate what you heard someone say, from your own viewpoint, from a factual statement. The real issue is with the last point, that it was posed as a factual statement and not as opinion, particular someone else's opinion. There's a vast difference between what a rando *thinks* the biggest concern of "flyover country" is, versus the reality.

2. The content of the post is so reductive as to be meaningless. It doesn't stimulate discussion, not because you did something wrong, but because the "analysis" being offered by this pundit doesn't have any actual insight or discussable content. It is somewhat interesting that in your later description, you mention that this point was offered by a conservative analyst, important context which is lost in the simple repetition of the talking point itself.

I also don't think there's something fundamentally wrong with posting a link that has no additional commentary, but doing it regularly makes this thread little more than a link aggregator and not a conversation. Most of us have smartphones and internet connections and some access to the headlines of the day; IMO and speaking for myself only, I don't need this to be a place to share breaking news or to "inform" others about current events, but to discuss things that we all, as informed and engaged people, all already understand are happening.

I think there are two things going on here.
1. From my perspective, the issue with citation could be mitigated by something like: "I just saw Chris Cillizza say on CNN that [stupid Cillizza analysis]."

Instead, the post says "One of the largest concerns in flyover country is [stuff]."

There's nothing in that post to differentiate what you heard someone say, from your own viewpoint, from a factual statement. The real issue is with the last point, that it was posed as a factual statement and not as opinion, particular someone else's opinion. There's a vast difference between what a rando *thinks* the biggest concern of "flyover country" is, versus the reality.

2. The content of the post is so reductive as to be meaningless. It doesn't stimulate discussion, not because you did something wrong, but because the "analysis" being offered by this pundit doesn't have any actual insight or discussable content. It is somewhat interesting that in your later description, you mention that this point was offered by a conservative analyst, important context which is lost in the simple repetition of the talking point itself.

I also don't think there's something fundamentally wrong with posting a link that has no additional commentary, but doing it regularly makes this thread little more than a link aggregator and not a conversation. Most of us have smartphones and internet connections and some access to the headlines of the day; IMO and speaking for myself only, I don't need this to be a place to share breaking news or to "inform" others about current events, but to discuss things that we all, as informed and engaged people, all already understand are happening.

100% Thank you.

Just stating an opinion or venting into the abyss is fine too. We all need to do it sometimes but it's important to be told that's what's happening. In this case, I assumed that this was a CNN story but it came across when posted as simple support for the premise.

This thread is at its best when people state their opinions and are open to different perspectives about those opinions. The second part can be really challenging and we all fail at it sometimes.

Some useful perspective on the online attacks by some parts of the camp formerly known as Bernie Bros. on the Talib Kweli podcast. The interview is with Hannibal Buress.

That part of the convo. starts at around 15 minutes and goes for about 5 minutes

I wish Hannibal didn't irritate me so much now, but I'll give it a listen based on your rec.

another recommendation I need- how are y'all personally balancing the need for self-care/taking breaks from the feeling of impending doom and the importance of staying informed? I wanna be knowledgeable, but then I inundate myself or make the mistake of drowning in a comment section (and then I'm more I-hate-everyone-around-me than clued in on current events.)

the 24/7 news cycle is a little soul-sucking but it feels a tad irresponsible to not be keeping tabs with the way things break.

I wish Hannibal didn't irritate me so much now, but I'll give it a listen based on your rec.

another recommendation I need- how are y'all personally balancing the need for self-care/taking breaks from the feeling of impending doom and the importance of staying informed? I wanna be knowledgeable, but then I inundate myself or make the mistake of drowning in a comment section (and then I'm more I-hate-everyone-around-me than clued in on current events.)

the 24/7 news cycle is a little soul-sucking but it feels a tad irresponsible to not be keeping tabs with the way things break.

Oh please don't take my rec as a ringing endorsement or anything. I don't know enough about him to have much of an opinion, but I thought it was interesting to hear two black men talk about being labeled / portrayed in certain lights by people who classify themselves as progressive, and just as a reminder that not everybody has the best of intentions even if they're aligning themselves with whatever political position.

I don't look at much myself. I can't. I don't listen to or watch the news. Simply scrolling through whatever social media is too much for me. The important stories/narratives (for me) are not changing. I want to be knowledgeable but feel less so if I'm constantly engaging with the daily drama / distraction. It's inescapable tho.

I follow enough people to catch things soon enough but probably later than most.

Oh please don't take my rec as a ringing endorsement or anything. I don't know enough about him to have much of an opinion, but I thought it was interesting to hear two black men talk about being labeled / portrayed in certain lights by people who classify themselves as progressive, and just as a reminder that not everybody has the best of intentions even if they're aligning themselves with whatever political position.

I don't look at much myself. I can't. I don't listen to or watch the news. Simply scrolling through whatever social media is too much for me. The important stories/narratives (for me) are not changing. I want to be knowledgeable but feel less so if I'm constantly engaging with the daily drama / distraction. It's inescapable tho.

I follow enough people to catch things soon enough but probably later than most.
word, I don't have a TV so I feel like that helps but... not enough ha. guess I just need to work on engaging less, and maybe virtual yoga vibes with @nolalady more? 😊

and the Hannibal thing is a personal problem- he's a funny dude and prob has some insightful things to drop on this topic.

Oh B, I totally get this so hard.

What I've had to do is to consciously limit my consumption of current news, and this includes limiting my social media consumption. I also increased activities that keep me grounded, especially those that have nothing to do with a screen--drawing, painting, knitting. I also try to get in at least one yoga class a week--2 if I'm really cool.

As for people on your feed or in comments, what I have to realize is that everyone is dealing with an unprecedented situation. There's no blue print on how to act, and maybe we need to show some compassion to our fellow humans. I have to realize that a lot of people are dealing with their own personal crises right now. Their reactions say a lot more about how they are handling things than what they actually think about something. I see so much anger and I find that it's largely fueled by insecurity, fear, and sadness. And for this reason, I have stayed away from the comments. The problem is that social media is so immediate, so they can instantly react, and often do, before they actually explore why they are feeling this way. Most of these comments are really a catharsis for the poster, and says very little about any other content. Realize that people are hurting, across the board and they are lashing out, but I view this as I would a toddler having a temper tantrum. Tantrums only happen when someone is overwhelmed and unable to properly put words to their frustration.

I find that positive change only occurs with intent. I have had to intentionally limit my time reading news, my time on social media, and my time looking at screens in general. I've stopped with FB because I really don't want to know what my aunt thinks of Qanon. I've focused my time and attention towards my art. I do yoga and remember buddhist principles about the transient nature of all things. I also try to remember compassion, even towards people that are the most cantankerous.

I’m just gonna say that I haven’t had regular TV in over 20 years, I’ve never done any social media, and I put in an average of 1.5hrs a day of rigorous exercise. I have hobbies, kids, a happy wife. I have lots of privilege and where I live the worst we get is long stints of heat or rain.

Shit’s hard y’all. It’s all overwhelming, every bit of it. It literally feels like the end of the world and it legitimately might be.

Most people are dealing with way more than me and seeing way more than me so everyone is struggling and lots of people are completely overwhelmed.

Oh B, I totally get this so hard.

What I've had to do is to consciously limit my consumption of current news, and this includes limiting my social media consumption. I also increased activities that keep me grounded, especially those that have nothing to do with a screen--drawing, painting, knitting. I also try to get in at least one yoga class a week--2 if I'm really cool.

As for people on your feed or in comments, what I have to realize is that everyone is dealing with an unprecedented situation. There's no blue print on how to act, and maybe we need to show some compassion to our fellow humans. I have to realize that a lot of people are dealing with their own personal crises right now. Their reactions say a lot more about how they are handling things than what they actually think about something. I see so much anger and I find that it's largely fueled by insecurity, fear, and sadness. And for this reason, I have stayed away from the comments. The problem is that social media is so immediate, so they can instantly react, and often do, before they actually explore why they are feeling this way. Most of these comments are really a catharsis for the poster, and says very little about any other content. Realize that people are hurting, across the board and they are lashing out, but I view this as I would a toddler having a temper tantrum. Tantrums only happen when someone is overwhelmed and unable to properly put words to their frustration.

I find that positive change only occurs with intent. I have had to intentionally limit my time reading news, my time on social media, and my time looking at screens in general. I've stopped with FB because I really don't want to know what my aunt thinks of Qanon. I've focused my time and attention towards my art. I do yoga and remember buddhist principles about the transient nature of all things. I also try to remember compassion, even towards people that are the most cantankerous.
I’m just gonna say that I haven’t had regular TV in over 20 years, I’ve never done any social media, and I put in an average of 1.5hrs a day of rigorous exercise. I have hobbies, kids, a happy wife. I have lots of privilege and where I live the worst we get is long stints of heat or rain.

Shit’s hard y’all. It’s all overwhelming, every bit of it. It literally feels like the end of the world and it legitimately might be.

Most people are dealing with way more than me and seeing way more than me so everyone is struggling and lots of people are completely overwhelmed.
I have to agree with all of this, you do need to distance yourself from it all as best you can. That's a tough pill to swallow for a lot of us, I've always been one to, not obsess over, but want to be in touch with what's going on in the world, but current times have made that a health concern to be brutally honest. Panic attacks, lack of sleep and so on. I took a 2 month break from FB, recently went back after cleaning house a bit on the friends list and flat out told those that remained that "Things were going to be different", i limit my interaction and shoot on by anything political, not even a passing glance.

I've listened to music more, started playing World of Warcraft again and rather than sit in front of a TV at lunch, I go for a nice long walk and clear my head. It's hard for me to "ignore" what's going on around me, but at the end of the day I can only really do one thing, vote, after that, the big picture is out of my hands. I can be the person I want to be, enact change socially as far as how I treat the people and community around me, but I'm done trying to change the minds of others.

Keeping sane is the hardest part of this pandemic, government and our well being.

Just wanted to follow up on what @bfly was asking yesterday. One of the things I struggle with (one of many) is what feels like a responsibility to engage. I recognize I have a privilege that allows me to disengage if I'm mentally capable, but others don't get to make that choice or make that choice as easily, but as @AnthonyI said it really is a mental health challenge and for myself disengagement is necessary.

Just wanted to follow up on what @bfly was asking yesterday. One of the things I struggle with (one of many) is what feels like a responsibility to engage. I recognize I have a privilege that allows me to disengage if I'm mentally capable, but others don't get to make that choice or make that choice as easily, but as @AnthonyI said it really is a mental health challenge and for myself disengagement is necessary.
This is a solid point @jaycee So many of us have the ability to put these issues to the side for a small period of time. That privilege cannot be overstated, especially in today's climate. But you are correct, others in my circle are not afforded that luxury and must be hyper vigilant and engaged with these issues, especially if they have children and are concerned about their futures.

I may not be the best person to speak on these types of things, however, as I can be what some consider 'toxic positivity'. And even though its done with the best of intentions, the end result isn't always what I'd prefer. Its a trait I'm working on to an extent. Mostly to ensure that I am not trivializing what others go through and marginalizing their struggles or hardships. Even still, sometimes I have trouble engaging in a meaningful way of late. Things are just so overwhelming negative on a global scale that it becomes difficult to be an active participant in society on some days.

We all do the best that we are able, and as long as we continue to move in a positive direction I am hoping we see some good systemic changes.

I got entangled in an argument with a continual frenemey On FB. He outrage posted about the recent execution of the sheriffs in south LA. my response that kicked it all off was a simple question. ”Obviously this person has a different view of police than you do. Why do you think that is?” Apparently asking that question is some kind of moral failing. The best they cam up with is it’s the left wing media’s fault. I posted an article about how people on both extremes seek out media that confirms what they already believe. Which counters the media made them do it Thesis.

To get them to think about the conditions of the South LA neighborhoods I posted some information about how the low SES population Is vulnerable to violence in ways that people with money aren’t. I know it seems like common sense, but I was backed the American Psychological Association’s gathered researc. I also posted a parenting program that they run, not saying it would solve the Problem, but to highlight the skills they teach when examining the perpetrators. I mean isn’t parenting red meat for the conservative crew. The biggest reaction I got was laughter.

Lets face it. It was tribalism and protecting their self worth by having to be right all the time.

This says a lot about our elected republican officials. As we get closer and closer to the election they are becoming more and more indifferent to Trump's controversies.

To me, this says they don't care about the people who elected them or the greater good of the country. All they care about is winning / staying in power. And that's really scary if you think about it. The GOP is exactly what they say a vote for a democrat is, a danger to our democracy.

This says a lot about our elected republican officials. As we get closer and closer to the election they are becoming more and more indifferent to Trump's controversies.

To me, this says they don't care about the people who elected them or the greater good of the country. All they care about is winning / staying in power. And that's really scary if you think about it. The GOP is exactly what they say a vote for a democrat is, a danger to our democracy.
Weeeellllll, first, technically we didn't vote him in. The electoral college did that. You don't need the people behind you, you just need those delegates behind you.

Trump has really helped out all the struggling millionaires and billionaires out there. He reduced their taxes and let them shelter money from being taxed. He's done great things for the wealthy and the corporations, all while stepping all over the rest of us. Now, we then have to ask ourselves about our elected officials and whether they are simply looking the other way because they are also millionaires and they have seen their wealth increase too.

Where the left seems to mess up, is that they underestimate the right and their voter base. Most of the left feels intellectually superior to the right. We shake our heads when they don't wear masks at political rallies. We look flabbergasted when they believe the things that come out of the president's mouth. We laugh and make fun of their....um.....everything. And then we scratch our heads when the right digs their heels in to reject everything the left is saying as truth. Now, before everyone gets upset, I realize that the right does the same sort of thing when the call the left "snowflakes" and all that, but y'all do see that the reason for the divide is because everyone is too busy insulting each other to listen to anything the other side has to say. Largely due to the fact that everyone, and I mean everyone, believes that the other side is populated by nothing but idiots who will believe anything Trump/Fauchi/their pastor/scientists/Fox News/CNN tells them. But the truth is that there are shrewd players on both sides and if you want to know why republicans are looking the other way on Trump is because they are getting a benefit from it, NOT because they believe he's the great savior for our nation. Their self interests are influencing their votes--just like our self interest influences our votes.

My point is that calling these politicians stupid and dismissing them is how Hillary didn't get voted in last time. Everyone was so sure that no one would vote for him, and they were wrong. People voted for him, and the main reason they did so was because of their wallets. They like his economic policies of less taxes, even if they aren't rich enough to actually see a benefit. They believe that one day, they might be wealthy, because that is the lie the right sells. And the right sells this lie so well that it's really hard for the left to gain any ground when they do talk about wealth redistribution, because a large group of people are only voting with their economic interests in mind.

Back