Political Discussion

...........on a side note, I'm gonna toss some blame at Woodward here, he ALSO knew in February and sat on this info until now. He's just as guilty of causing 1000's of un-needed deaths in my opinion.

...........on a side note, I'm gonna toss some blame at Woodward here, he ALSO knew in February and sat on this info until now. He's just as guilty of causing 1000's of un-needed deaths in my opinion.
I agree that it is a very bad look that Woodward held off, but I don't think it would have changed anything. None of Trump's supporters nor any of the Rs in congress would have cared.

The majority of college educated white women who voted (59%) voted democratic in 2018. The majority of that same demographic (55%) voted for Clinton in 2016. However, the majority of white voters vote republican. The majority of white voters did not vote for Obama. Larger turnouts by non-white voters were behind the Obama wins. This is partially behind the voter suppression movement. The white majority vote isn't what it used to be.

imo this is also why the Biden/Dem suburban white women - purple strategy is weak.

I agree that it is a very bad look that Woodward held off, but I don't think it would have changed anything. None of Trump's supporters nor any of the Rs in congress would have cared.

Exactly. The cultists believe whatever the imagery is / whatever narrative was put forth, the anti-maskers were always going to be there and promoted by the white house, and the disorganization / chaos that was installed when the White House’s National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense was dismantled.

Woodward is a profiteering scumbag who dropped this at this time as a gotchya pre-election moment, but I don't think he can be blamed for killing people.

Last edited:
Exactly. The cultists believe whatever the imagery is / whatever narrative was put forth, the anti-maskers were always going to be there and promoted by the white house, and the disorganization / chaos that was installed when the White House’s National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense was dismantled.

Woodward is a profiteering scumbag who dropped this at this time as a gotchya pre-election moment, but I don't think he can be blamed for killing people.

Woodward is a profiteering scumbag. He also got some vital undeniable proof as to how much of a scumbag Trump really is.

Trump is also a profiteering scumbag. The difference is that Woodward doesn’t have the charge of caring about Americans as a part of his job description. Trump does- and he doesn’t give a shit about anybody but himself.

Woodward is a profiteering scumbag. He also got some vital undeniable proof as to how much of a scumbag Trump really is.

Trump is also a profiteering scumbag. The difference is that Woodward doesn’t have the charge of caring about Americans as a part of his job description. Trump does- and he doesn’t give a shit about anybody but himself.

Y - I'm aware. I wasn't suggesting Woodward should've withheld anything.

Please tell me it isn't so...

It was a news store my Google Nest told me yesterday morning. I don’t have a link but the report was by Reuters.
I couldn't find the article but @jaycee found a ton. I did find this one and I really like it:

“Women are mobilized on a bigger scale than we’ve seen in a generation at least,” said Annelise Orleck, a historian at Dartmouth College who studies women’s political activism. “Women are organizing all across the spectrum.”

The activism is diffuse and multiracial, reflecting political battles that working class women have long waged for better health care, schools and child care. In some ways, more affluent suburban women are simply waking up to the untenable choices poorer women and women of color have faced for generations.

While the anger is loudest on the left, Democrats hope to capitalize on indications that the rage reaches across party lines. The rebellion by white college-educated women against Mr. Trump helped Democrats win key swing districts in 2018, giving the party control of the House. In recent weeks, support for Mr. Trump has begun to drop among white non-college educated women and older women — two more ideologically moderate groups that bolstered his winning coalition four years ago. The gender split among suburbanites is striking: In a recent Washington Post/ABC News poll, Mr. Biden leads by 24 points among suburban women and just four points among suburban men, a statistical dead heat.

“I am so full of rage,” said Alida Garcia, the vice president of Fwd.us, an immigration advocacy group and mother of 1-year-old twins. “We are exhausted.”

I am totally okay with being a "rage mom".

while I'm here, and since it's taken a global pandemic to remind people that low-wage workers are essential, too-

shout out to the laborers and unions that came before so that we could even have a slim fighting chance today. from the first notable wildcat strike in 1894 to the US teacher's strikes in 2018, a lot of people have given up comfort or even their lives in the fight so that we have the opportunity to be more than a disposable cog. happy Labor Day, y'all.
I read a great article on this where the math suggests that, in fact, the reason for such a big income disparity is because wages have been stagnant since the Reagan era. He even digs into large corporate entities, but found that wage suppression in this country is largely across the board.

We studied changes in the structure of payments, employment, and output of products and services across these 16 sectors. What we found is that except in volatile and low-profit agriculture and mining sectors, real wages grew less rapidly than productivity since around the time of Reagan’s presidency. Wage shares decreased, but profit shares increased at the industry and macro levels, and the money from those profits ended up in the pockets of business owners and the wealthy instead of being shared.

For the most part, Americans workers have been working more productively, but they haven’t been getting paid for it due to forces that aren’t natural and inevitable. Wage repression doesn’t just happen.

It is apparent that something other than the market is at work here – like power relations, ideology about unemployment levels, and many innovations in business strategy, such as subcontracting. These are all feeding on and reinforcing processes within national political institutions that are more and more reflective only of business interests and concerns.

Please tell me it isn't so...

Trump's polling lead in the usual red districts is significant but he is of course behind in the deep blue districts with more voters. NE MN is currently polling at 61-37 in Trumps favor whereas the Twin Cities metro is 54-42 in Biden's favor. I'm guessing it's a similar situation across the other battleground states in the Midwest. It's the same situation as 2016. Everyone is dug-into their ideological bunkers and the election will ultimately be about turnout / vote suppression.

Having lived on both coasts in very liberal cities, being from a "blue collar city", and now living in a liberal oasis in the upper Midwest it remains disturbing to me how the liberal political machinery seems to focus on old ideas that spring from coasts with the expectation that the people in flyover country will be excited to go along for the ride. The good working people in the NE corridor or on the West Coast don't really reflect the wants and needs of people in Detroit, or Grand Rapids, or Duluth or MSP or Milwaukee or Pittsburgh or Cleveland.

According to a GOP senator, all negotiations towards another stimulus are official dead. At least until after the election.

As expected the GOP is unwilling to negotiate with the democrats and meet in the middle as the democrats were willing to do. And even among the GOP only about half of the senators supported any type of additional stimulus. And as time goes on, the number of GOP senators that support any kind of stimulus at all is falling. Now there is not even enough support to pass a stimulus bill even if a compromise with the democrats is reached. They say look at the stock market. The economy has recovered. We don't need another stimulus.

But the stock market is not the economy and millions of Americans are still unable to pay rent in full. The unemployment rate is still over 10%.

Wisconsin residents receiving an extra $300 in weekly unemployment benefits are being asked to pay back the money if Congress enacts new legislation to replace the jobless aid created by President Trump's executive action last month.

Labor and unemployment experts worry that this could leave many out-of-work Americans confused about what to do at a time when the money ordered by Trump has already been delayed and Congress has failed to pass a new aid package for the jobless. Some lawmakers say it's unlikely that more financial relief would reach Americans before November.

If Republicans and Democrats do agree to new aid in the future, unemployed people who take the federal benefit could be seen as double-dipping: They would receive retroactive pay from the new legislation even though they already been paid through Trump’s executive action.

One of the largest concerns in flyover country is that if Joe Biden is elected president they will be stuck in home confinement for months due to COVID-19.

Voting for Trump to protect their liberties, freedom and constitutional rights. Trump is expected to get about the same number of votes as he got in 2016. The the deciding factor of the election will be turnout. Will Biden get turnout like Obama?

One of the largest concerns in flyover country is that if Joe Biden is elected president they will be stuck in home confinement for months due to COVID-19.

Voting for Trump to protect their liberties, freedom and constitutional rights. Trump is expected to get about the same number of votes as he got in 2016. The the deciding factor of the election will be turnout. Will Biden get turnout like Obama?

I already regret responding to this, but this is complete b.s.

Do you know what flyover country means and the diversity of people that live in the giant swath of land between the NE corridor and the west? Painting that entire part of the country with that brush is ridiculous.

I already regret responding to this, but this is complete b.s.

Do you know what flyover country means and the diversity of people that live in the giant swath of land between the NE corridor and the west? Painting that entire part of the country with that brush is ridiculous.

Hey, it wasn't the picture I was painting and by no means do I think this is true for everyone.

It was just a statement a conservative political analyst said in an interview. As in this is one of the top concerns voters have.

Back