Pink Floyd Appreciation

this popped up on my youtube feed, an instrumental guitar/keys cover record by roger's son harry waters with john clark

lol at doing a covers record of your dad's work and taking out all of his words.

this came out a few weeks ago, and looks like today roger has released to streaming his 'lockdown sessions', the songs he uploaded to his youtube page that were recorded remotely. i'm sure they put some studio magic on them after the fact, but it's cool to see these released anyway. i guess we'll see if a physical release follows.

01. Mother (7:20)
02. Two Suns in the Sunset (6:01)
03. Vera (5:14)
04. The Gunner's Dream (5:32)
05. The Bravery of Being out of Range (6:51)
06. Comfortably Numb 2022 (8:30)

Total length: 39:28

regarding comfortably numb, i did think it was pretty bold of him to rework one of his most recognizable and loved songs into a funeral dirge to open his recent shows. i'm glad there's a studio version of it now.

this came out a few weeks ago, and looks like today roger has released to streaming his 'lockdown sessions', the songs he uploaded to his youtube page that were recorded remotely. i'm sure they put some studio magic on them after the fact, but it's cool to see these released anyway. i guess we'll see if a physical release follows.

01. Mother (7:20)
02. Two Suns in the Sunset (6:01)
03. Vera (5:14)
04. The Gunner's Dream (5:32)
05. The Bravery of Being out of Range (6:51)
06. Comfortably Numb 2022 (8:30)

Total length: 39:28

regarding comfortably numb, i did think it was pretty bold of him to rework one of his most recognizable and loved songs into a funeral dirge to open his recent shows. i'm glad there's a studio version of it now.

I could be wrong, but I want to say he is performing the original version (or "demo" version) of Comfortably Numb that he wrote. The one we all know and love from The Wall was reworked in the studio with Gilmour's solo and other additions.

I could be wrong, but I want to say he is performing the original version (or "demo" version) of Comfortably Numb that he wrote. The one we all know and love from The Wall was reworked in the studio with Gilmour's solo and other additions.
I wonder if he's doing it to get out of paying Guilmour royalties in some way

18 new live Pink Floyd albums up on Spotify and the like to celebrate DSOTM's 50th

You know these are pure copyright extension releases of poor to tolerable audience cassette recordings, right? Not a celebration of anything but copyright.

You know these are pure copyright extension releases of poor to tolerable audience cassette recordings, right? Not a celebration of anything but copyright.
Didn't they do this with the Lou Reed demos last year around this time? Then they put them out on RSD.

Didn't they do this with the Lou Reed demos last year around this time? Then they put them out on RSD.
It's a fairly common tactic. The Beatles did it for years, Floyd did it last year as well, others are doing it we don't even notice as they post on spotify for a few days - establish copyright - then delete them.

Artists like Dylan can do it with massive box sets, because they will sell. Maybe Floyd decided to drop them and make a few bucks at the same time.

Won't be any physical of these, the quality is too low.

For as long as Floyd was active, I wish they would release more high quality live shows, especially Blu-Rays of actual concerts.

for as visual a live band as they were, they did an absolutely terrible job (if any job at all) of audio/video documenting their live shows. unless you want more 87-94 stuff, there just isn't much of anything there. i think the most we can reasonably hope for at this point is a release of a wall show, which i believe roger controls. unless there are things hidden away no one knows about, we'll never see a complete or even near-complete pro-shot concert video recording from their peak years.

for as visual a live band as they were, they did an absolutely terrible job (if any job at all) of audio/video documenting their live shows. unless you want more 87-94 stuff, there just isn't much of anything there. i think the most we can reasonably hope for at this point is a release of a wall show, which i believe roger controls. unless there are things hidden away no one knows about, we'll never see a complete or even near-complete pro-shot concert video recording from their peak years.
I was going to say this. the floyd trading community has been really, really hardcore about trading and recording provenance. If there were high quality shows available, they'd be at least known about if not unofficially available. even the audio only boots ("ROIO" in floyd tape trading parlance) are of just 'ok' quality. Some of the BBC stuff is pretty decent, but the BBC's "let's wipe all this old shit" archival policy means a lot of stuff is lost or is only available because they found a copy someone kept at home (or recorded off the radio somehow)

it really is a shame. if i could go back in time and see any show in live music history, it would be a pink floyd '77 tour show, probably montreal knowing what that show would eventually spawn.

Back