Pink Floyd Appreciation

a) yes the mastering is exclusive to that set and
b) I think (but am not sure) that some of the mixes are too? Specifically "The Wall". There's a version of "comfortably numb" where, after waters sings "just a little pin-prick" there's a little harp rake and there's a version without it, I think this is the one without it.
c) since the jewel cases are all black and exclusive to the set (and a giant pain in the ass, if not altogether impossible, to replace, since they glued the album covers to the actual plastic), getting them in good condition is a nice bonus!

Played the bonus disc and Animals so far - haven’t listened to The Wall in a while so will do that next and report back - animals sounded really good to me

New to my collection (ridiculous cheap deal on eBay U.K. - pays to watch things with no bids - got sent a discount offer on top of the already cheap price ) this is very minty and fully complete- includes the 10 track early singles exclusive CD - and all CD cases in good working order etc and no damage - and I think the mastering on this is exclusive to this box set

View attachment 148828

my mom saved up to buy this for me back in 1993, and is one of if not the primary reason i became the fan i did. my set has been used and abused, but i still have it all. i do love those cd cases.

my mom saved up to buy this for me back in 1993, and is one of if not the primary reason i became the fan i did. my set has been used and abused, but i still have it all. i do love those cd cases.
I got mine for Christmas that year and saw them on the division bell tour; I think it was the first or second show in the US. It was before the album had even come out, and it was when they did all the Publius stuff on the screens. I was a huge fan before but it definitely cemented it for me

i've only listened to the hi-res digital so can't speak to the vinyl or the 5.1 yet, but as far as the remix goes... wow. like, in pigs, gilmour's bass playing is brought up in the mix and it's like, why was this buried so badly? i think some people won't necessarily like the separation they hear in this mix compared to the original, which i think can be argued is part of the overall aesthetic and tone of the record, but i can't see how any fan familiar with the album won't appreciate this new listening experience, even if they end up preferring the original. guthrie did a fantastic job here.

i've only listened to the hi-res digital so can't speak to the vinyl or the 5.1 yet, but as far as the remix goes... wow. like, in pigs, gilmour's bass playing is brought up in the mix and it's like, why was this buried so badly? i think some people won't necessarily like the separation they hear in this mix compared to the original, which i think can be argued is part of the overall aesthetic and tone of the record, but i can't see how any fan familiar with the album won't appreciate this new listening experience, even if they end up preferring the original. guthrie did a fantastic job here.
Yeah I streamed the high res 2018 remix vs the high res OG mix and it sounds like a different album. But as you said, some may not like how much separation there is now. The congestion may have been by design due to the themes of the album. But it does sound very very good.

I'm going to listen to the hires files from a USB in my car tonight on my drive home from work.

It doesn't have Snowy White's guitar solos from the 8-track? That is some bullshit
agreed. not sure how at this point it’s not offered as an extra on the disc and/or deluxe versions. as far as i know, the only other way to have an officially released version of the ‘full’ potw track is from a snowy white compilation cd that itself is like 20+ years old now.

Anyone have a copy yet?
Any feedback?

I got both the SACD and vinyl. SACD came earlier in the week. Listened to both CD layer and SACD Stereo (don't have 5.1). SACD sounds great. Bass seems more present in remix. Overall enjoy it. It's an album I know well - it's not going to cause you to crank your neck like "Oh God this is like experiencing the album anew!" (generally, I find that sort of hyperbole to be silly for any remix). But if you like PF and this album, it's a great addition.

Just got the vinyl yesterday. Wet-vac and US cleaned and listening to it now. Same remix impressions stand for SACD so vinyl quality...I've seen some mixed impressions about vinyl quality in Discogs. But, let's be honest, that's the vinyl QC world we live in these days. My xp is positive. Side A Is almost flawless on mine. A couple light pop/ticks in the intro of Pigs On The Wing 1 but buried in the music (only paid attention to during my anal first listen, otherwise really unremarkable). Side B has some repeated surface noise in the intro but it goes away once the track starts getting lively so maybe first 30secs. Even so, nonfac for me. It doesn't overwhelm and, again, I'm in anal listening mode att. Hardly a whisper through speakers. More noticeable w a headphone pass.

I like this remix and am happy with the purchases.

Also note on packaging: I run the gamut on being a purist on cover art to liking new renditions. For PF, to me (and I'm sure many), their album art is iconic. I like what they did here. A riff on the same art for a remix of the album. As well, the booklet is well laid-out. For the SACD: AP keeps getting better on their Floyd SACD presentation. WYWH was just the hardcover book-type case (don't get me wrong, it is nice but they got better); DSOTM was the hardcover+ plus a slipcase (nice lil upgrade but the slipcase is a bit flimsy); Animals, their third outing, has the hardcover + slipcase and the slipcase is substantial and sturdy.

Last edited:
I got both the SACD and vinyl. SACD came earlier in the week. Listened to both CD layer and SACD Stereo (don't have 5.1). SACD sounds great. Bass seems more present in remix. Overall enjoy it. It's an album I know well - it's not going to cause you to crank your neck like "Oh God this is like experiencing the album anew!" (generally, I find that sort of hyperbole to be silly for any remix). But if you like PF and this album, it's a great addition.

Just got the vinyl yesterday. Wet-vac and US cleaned and listening to it now. Same remix impressions stand for SACD so vinyl quality...I've seen some mixed impressions about vinyl quality in Discogs. But, let's be honest, that's the vinyl QC world we live in these days. My xp is positive. Side A Is almost flawless on mine. A couple light pop/ticks in the intro of Pigs On The Wing 1 but buried in the music (only paid attention to during my anal first listen, otherwise really unremarkable). Side B has some repeated surface noise in the intro but it goes away once the track starts getting lively so maybe first 30secs. Even so, nonfac for me. It doesn't overwhelm and, again, I'm in anal listening mode att. Hardly a whisper through speakers. More noticeable w a headphone pass.

Also note on packaging: I run the gamut on being a purist on cover art to liking new renditions. For PF, to me (and I'm sure many), their album art is iconic. I like what they did here. A riff on the same art for a remix of the album. As well, the booklet is well laid-out. For the SACD: AP keeps getting better on their Floyd SACD presentation. WYWH was just the hardcover book-type case (don't get me wrong, it is nice but they got better); DSOTM was the hardcover+ plus a slipcase (nice lil upgrade but the slipcase is a bit flimsy); Animals, their third outing, has the hardcover + slipcase and the slipcase is substantial and sturdy.
Last week @Mather 's alarm went off for "ass climbing contest", curious if it went off again for "anal listening mode"?

Thanks for your impressions on the Floyd. I preordered the boxset so I'm eager for the Oct 7 release date to arrive. I'm still a bit confused on the exact differences between the SACD and the Blu-ray and DVD-audio that come in that set. Is the SACD superior to the BR or DVD-audio? I know very little about 5.1 audio, DSD, and other hi end digital specifics.

Last week @Mather 's alarm went off for "ass climbing contest", curious if it went off again for "anal listening mode"?

Thanks for your impressions on the Floyd. I preordered the boxset so I'm eager for the Oct 7 release date to arrive. I'm still a bit confused on the exact differences between the SACD and the Blu-ray and DVD-audio that come in that set. Is the SACD superior to the BR or DVD-audio? I know very little about 5.1 audio, DSD, and other hi end digital specifics.
I can't remark much on BR/DVD-A as I've never built a system integrating them. I do know that the SACD is AP's thang so that's why its not in the box. Also, price of entry into BR/DVD-A is lower than SACD players. Although there are some ~1k-ish players these days. But you're getting the same remix regardless of format. And, 5.1, you either have the speaker components or you don't. I have some 5.1 mixes that I sometimes wish I had a system to play it as I've heard they can be quite amazing. But que sera and all.

Thanks for the detailed impressions! Much appreciated.

I picked up the remix vinyl and blu-ray.
I have a really decent VG+ JP original already.
The JP is a little flat sounding but the amp tone controls work great for the required EQ adjustments.

I like this remix on vinyl but it's a little too clean, processed or something that doesn't give me the instrument sound like the 77 JP copy, especially in acoustics.
Anyway, my pressing has some flaws and it's going back for a refund.
Many people are having issues with the pressings it seems.

For the Blu-ray, I have an AVR to get some surround sound.
More feedback on that this weekend. 🍺

I can't remark much on BR/DVD-A as I've never built a system integrating them. I do know that the SACD is AP's thang so that's why its not in the box. Also, price of entry into BR/DVD-A is lower than SACD players. Although there are some ~1k-ish players these days. But you're getting the same remix regardless of format. And, 5.1, you either have the speaker components or you don't. I have some 5.1 mixes that I sometimes wish I had a system to play it as I've heard they can be quite amazing. But que sera and all.
I have an older Denon Universal player so SACDs and DVD-audio is no problem. Guess I'm curious how the specs of the stereo mix on the DVD-A sounds relative to the SACD. The DVD-A is LPCM 24-bit/48 kHz Uncompressed. Is this basically equivalent to the SACD or is SACD sound quality superior to the DVD-A format? I'm not familiar with what those formats can do. I've never gotten into tangible hi-fi digital audio, only have 24b-96kHz FLACs on my DAP.

Ok the Blu-ray is a freaky badass trip.
It's DTS Master HD encoded. (Really hi end surround sound)

You need an AVR that decodes DTS-HD and the proper 5 speaker setup with a separate sub for it to work.
Anyway it's immersed 360 sound. Really cool.
My Denon AVR converts the 5.1 to 7.2

There is no video but the cover art just changes lighting on the screen throughout the playing to match the music tonality.

I got much more out of this than the remastered vinyl.

20220923_181836.jpg20220923_180928.jpg20220923_180845.jpg

Finally listening to the 2018 remix. It is definitely a bit different. Not sure if I'm totally sold on it yet.

The bass on Pigs (Three Different Ones) is fatter and kinda slaps. That's fun. Talk box solo at the end is definitely clearer and more defined.

Seems like there is much more clarity in the mix overall. Guitar solos are separated out a bit more, definitely hearing some guitar notes during solos that were once buried.

Vocals on Pigs on the Wing (Part 1) are better defined and sound much more isolated.

Reverb and echoes on the vocals in Dogs is definitely more apparent.

Lots of different nuances made their way out front and need some more time to take in.

Last edited:
Back