Pink Floyd Appreciation

Well, just found out my two copies of the RSD mono Saucerful of Secrets was cancelled at srcvinyl a MONTH after ordering so that’s my Pink Floyd news for today. :confused:

Meddle reigns supreme for me!

Sorry to hear that , have you tried amazon ? Loads of the saucerfuls monos on there in the U.K. recently

Sorry to hear that , have you tried amazon ? Loads of the saucerfuls monos on there in the U.K. recently
I actually found one on Discogs already and for a few bucks cheaper. It’s about $28 shipped but I need to do a bank transfer. Just got a RSD mono Piper at the Gates of Dawn and now I NEED the one from this year. It soundsTHAT good. :)

I actually found one on Discogs already and for a few bucks cheaper. It’s about $28 shipped but I need to do a bank transfer. Just got a RSD mono Piper at the Gates of Dawn and now I NEED the one from this year. It soundsTHAT good. :)

Piper is famous for sounding better in mono as the stereo panning on Lucifer Sam and Interstellar Overdrive is a little gimmicky. Are You Experienced? by Hendrix is another album that should be listened to in mono.

So over the years my thoughts on Piper have changed dramatically, I first had a copy in 1988/89 ish as part of a nice pair on vinyl , and wasn’t overly impressed, I’d already got relics and other than Astronomy Domine not a lot grabbed me..Much preferred saucerful.

Then got the cd remaster in a sale in the early part of 2000’s , again, didn’t get a lot of airtime, but some where in the last 10 years it’s become one of my most played Floyd records, the Mono Mix certainly improves things sonically , much more punchy , the Rsd Vinyl is superb, and the early years Box Set had loads of live and alt versions of these songs, I went to their mortal remains exhibition and was blown away , read loads of books..but the biggest impact has been seeing a tribute band do some of these early songs live every year for the last three years , made me appreciate the rawness of the Syd era .

Any one else have a view on The Pink Floyd of 1967

I agree on the superiority of the mono mix. Think that has been widely accepted by Floyd fans. The stereo phasing on Jupiter Sam and Astronomy Domine are very gimmicky and don’t really serve the song. The suprising thing about Piper is how weak Waters song is, Pick Up Thy Stethoscope is annoying nonsense and the low point on the record.

The suprising thing about Piper is how weak Waters song is, Pick Up Thy Stethoscope is annoying nonsense and the low point on the record.

it does introduce us to his love of writing lists, so there's that.

i have all of those piper cd reissues, too. this band sure knows how to get its fans to buy shit they already have.

also, please note my avatar.

it does introduce us to his love of writing lists, so there's that.

i have all of those piper cd reissues, too. this band sure knows how to get its fans to buy shit they already have.

also, please note my avatar.

I love Roger’s stuff though. I’d like to him to give Pros & Cons Of Hitchhiking a nice reissue, rather than reissuing Pulse or another live version of The Wall

if i could choose something for them to focus on reissuing, it would be rick wrights 'broken china' on vinyl.

anyone go see nick mason's saucerful of secrets? it was cool and just a lot of fun to see nick and band play all these old floyd nuggets that hadn't been played by anyone in years, if at all. i mean, never thought i'd get to see a band do 'obscured by clouds' -> 'when you're in', let alone an actual floyd member perform them. gilmour did 'wot's uh the deal' back on his 06 tour which was a treat as well.

Back