Pink Floyd Appreciation

So will all this talk about the WYWH Barry cut, my interest was peaked and I secured a copy of the 1978 Light Blue Label Barry cut. I have a green label 1981 version on the way.

I couldn't help myself and wait for the green label to arrive, so I shot out the blue label vs a UK A1/B3 and a Half Speed master.

I am shocked at how damn close to the UK A1/B3 the Barry cut is. I mean, its DAMN close to the same warm sound. The UK edges, but barely. The half speed master sounded good, but definitely had the treble pumped on it to give it a less warm sound. For all the hoopla and praise the half speed gets, I am going to unload mine. The Barry is damn fine backup to my OG UK. If you're on the fence, get a Barry before over paying for half speed. Of course get the A1/B3 if you can, but if not.... The Barry is the way to go. And it's not close between the Barry and Half Speed.

My 2 cents for what its worth.

Let me know what you think of the JPN and Wally. Also, check for a later UK with HTM….
The Wally was ~$20 and was closer to a NM than VG+. Pretty good find for a 73 pressing.

Kind of a luck of the draw on Cogs these days. I bundled the order with this seller and the 8 different records were rated VG+. All came in much closer to NM, excluding the jackets.

Cogs is such a crap shoot. This time it worked out in my favor.

The Wally was ~$20 and was closer to a NM than VG+. Pretty good find for a 73 pressing.

Kind of a luck of the draw on Cogs these days. I bundled the order with this seller and the 8 different records were rated VG+. All came in much closer to NM, excluding the jackets.

Sounds like a good deal. I’ve heard the Wally cut is nice!

Many sellers, myself included, wont rate albums any higher than VG+. Once I open a record and play it, it's VG+. Maybe I'm overly conservative, but it keeps me from dealing with "certain" record collectors.

Many sellers, myself included, wont rate albums any higher than VG+. Once I open a record and play it, it's VG+. Maybe I'm overly conservative, but it keeps me from dealing with "certain" record collectors.
That is nice.
Worth mentioning to the buyers so they might prefer you over the guys that ship in pizza boxes.

So last year some time I bought a 30th Anniversary Dark Side off Discogs for $150, labeled as NM/VG+. While the record looked NM, maybe VG+, there some very loud distracting pops on the ending of On The Run through the clocks on Time, and also throughout the majority of Us And Them. Paying what I did, I don’t get any enjoyment out of it, since I feel like I got duped.

Then I saw the raffle here for the MoFi Songs For the Big Chair, and wondered if there would be any interest for the DSOTM I have. Sure, someome wouldn’t be very likely to buy mine for anywhere near what I paid for it, but if I followed the same format ($2 per entry, no limit), this record could be well worth it.

Thoughts? Would anyone be interested in this? Or would the pops make it a no go?

New to my collection (ridiculous cheap deal on eBay U.K. - pays to watch things with no bids - got sent a discount offer on top of the already cheap price ) this is very minty and fully complete- includes the 10 track early singles exclusive CD - and all CD cases in good working order etc and no damage - and I think the mastering on this is exclusive to this box set

BD16828C-F2D6-429C-86A8-51BB756B92AA.jpeg

New to my collection (ridiculous cheap deal on eBay U.K. - pays to watch things with no bids - got sent a discount offer on top of the already cheap price ) this is very minty and fully complete- includes the 10 track early singles exclusive CD - and all CD cases in good working order etc and no damage - and I think the mastering on this is exclusive to this box set

View attachment 148828

a) yes the mastering is exclusive to that set and
b) I think (but am not sure) that some of the mixes are too? Specifically "The Wall". There's a version of "comfortably numb" where, after waters sings "just a little pin-prick" there's a little harp rake and there's a version without it, I think this is the one without it.
c) since the jewel cases are all black and exclusive to the set (and a giant pain in the ass, if not altogether impossible, to replace, since they glued the album covers to the actual plastic), getting them in good condition is a nice bonus!

Back