Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

The series 3 Grados really are so excellent. Going from a Green2 with an 8MZ to spending some time with Anthony’s Opus3, it was huge. I was surprised.

I’ve had a bunch of time mounting and aligning carts lately too, and I’m continually reminded of how the smallest adjustments make such big differences. Biggest discovery as of late is focusing on aligning the cantilever, not necessary the front of the cartridge body.

Yeah the opus3 is pretty mega for the price, I loved mine too, was a step up from the gold2 & 8mz for sure. I’d love to give something a bit higher up the woodie line a try at some point.

A quick question for the group (and @HiFi Guy).

I have a Rega turntable with an Elys2 cartridge on it. That cartridge has an output of 6.8 - 7.2 mV. I use the built-in phono stage on a Yamaha RX-V1600 receiver. It all sounds great (for me). However, the Elys2 is getting up there in hours and I plan on swapping it out for an Audio Technica 540ml, which I believe has an output of 4 mV. I understand there is going to be a difference in volume, the Elys2 being louder than the 540ml at the same volume setting. Is there any way to calculate this difference in volume between the two cartridges?

I cannot find much information about the phono stage in the Yamaha from the manual other than the Input Sensitivity/Input Impedance is 3.5mV/47kOhms and the Maximum Input signal in "60mV or more".

Basically, I want to avoid a few things:

1. I don't want to have to buy an external phono preamp for this setup.
2. I don't want the volume to be too low with the 540ml that I have to crank it (concerns about hum).

Right now, a good listening level with the Elys2 is about -32 db, and when really playing it loud is -10 to -15db.

What I am trying to figure out is what the headroom is going to be like with a difference in output of 3.2 mV between the two cartridges. Is the comfortable listening level of -32db with the Elys2 going to become -20db with the 540ml?

Thanks!

A quick question for the group (and @HiFi Guy).

I have a Rega turntable with an Elys2 cartridge on it. That cartridge has an output of 6.8 - 7.2 mV. I use the built-in phono stage on a Yamaha RX-V1600 receiver. It all sounds great (for me). However, the Elys2 is getting up there in hours and I plan on swapping it out for an Audio Technica 540ml, which I believe has an output of 4 mV. I understand there is going to be a difference in volume, the Elys2 being louder than the 540ml at the same volume setting. Is there any way to calculate this difference in volume between the two cartridges?

I cannot find much information about the phono stage in the Yamaha from the manual other than the Input Sensitivity/Input Impedance is 3.5mV/47kOhms and the Maximum Input signal in "60mV or more".

Basically, I want to avoid a few things:

1. I don't want to have to buy an external phono preamp for this setup.
2. I don't want the volume to be too low with the 540ml that I have to crank it (concerns about hum).

Right now, a good listening level with the Elys2 is about -32 db, and when really playing it loud is -10 to -15db.

What I am trying to figure out is what the headroom is going to be like with a difference in output of 3.2 mV between the two cartridges. Is the comfortable listening level of -32db with the Elys2 going to become -20db with the 540ml?

Thanks!

That output voltage on the Rega is nuts! It’s really high. the 4mV of the AT is much more common and around 4 or 5 mV is what most MM stages are designed for. It will be quieter and you will need to turn your amp up a bit more to get the same volume but it will also work just fine.

That output voltage on the Rega is nuts! It’s really high. the 4mV of the AT is much more common and around 4 or 5 mV is what most MM stages are designed for. It will be quieter and you will need to turn your amp up a bit more to get the same volume but it will also work just fine.
Thanks.

I read this on an old Absolute Sound article:

"Keep in mind that a doubling of cartridge output is equivalent to increasing the phonostage gain by 6dB."

So rough estimate, I'll need to increase the volume by about 6db for the 540ml vs. Elys2. So, I'll be running at -26 db for comfortable listening vs -32db with Elys2. 🤷‍♂️

Is that the special edition Green they made for the CW ? Always wondered why they switched.

Have you tried a weight ore refelx clamop on your CW ?
Yep! That’s the one. I’m curious as to why they switched, too. It pairs really well with the CW. Perhaps it was a money thing, or only a contract for the initial run of tables, who knows.

I’ve tried a weight, not a clamp. I prefer the sound without. I’ve also tried a bare platter as some VPI owners seem to swear by, didn’t do it for me either. I likely will plunk the cash down for a Funk Firm Anchromat one day in the future. I had a Herbie’s that I stupidly sold with an old table, I really liked what that gave me, so I assume the Anchromat is in that same direction.

Quick question: are Grado styli supposed to sit like this? Looking straight on with that middle mark it looks bent out of alignment but when lowered to the groove it seems to sit right.

I don’t hear anything that would lead me to believe it’s improperly aligned just noticed when I was brushing the stylus

754466D8-A769-4652-A1D2-CFB936576F01.jpeg484FA2D5-EB1E-4422-A3A8-8C995C93DEE1.jpeg8DDDD6C0-F531-4149-9B38-1E470B95F101.jpeg1AF4FF73-F38D-4CAD-B995-36694DE8F8E9.jpeg

Those pics are also seriously making me wanna commit on an Opus. If anyone stumbles across one of those Grado coupons again….!

Which colour of the stereo are you currently running?
The Bronze, but I gotta be honest, when the Bronze needs replacing it will probably be the Quintet Blue. In my opinion, not enough stood out with the Bronze over the Blue to warrant the extra cost.

Need some advice for a new cart. Budget is $200. I am currently running a few Dual turntables. Main setup has a vm95ml, other setups have an at120e and grado black. All have probably about 50% recommended hours give or take. I am thinking about adding a 4th cartridge to rotate in. Eventually I will most likely move the at120e to vm540ml, but figured I would do that after the current cart is closer to being spent. Mainly looking at two options. The sumiko Olympia or the Nagoaka mp110, but open to other suggestions and opinions.

Also, not sure if anyone knows but I would be looking at a new Dual Sled and see a ton of after market on eBay and not sure if some are better than others or just go cheapest:

Thanks for the help.

Back