Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

Need some advice for a new cart. Budget is $200. I am currently running a few Dual turntables. Main setup has a vm95ml, other setups have an at120e and grado black. All have probably about 50% recommended hours give or take. I am thinking about adding a 4th cartridge to rotate in. Eventually I will most likely move the at120e to vm540ml, but figured I would do that after the current cart is closer to being spent. Mainly looking at two options. The sumiko Olympia or the Nagoaka mp110, but open to other suggestions and opinions.

Also, not sure if anyone knows but I would be looking at a new Dual Sled and see a ton of after market on eBay and not sure if some are better than others or just go cheapest:

Thanks for the help.
If you need a Dual sled, contact Bill at fixmydual.com. He can get you a genuine factory part. Given that the sled is the weak point on Duals, I’d avoid aftermarket units.

I'm considering upgrading from my Ortofon 2M Blue to a 2M Black on my PLX-1000 at a good discount for a used cartridge. I really do love the sound of the Hana SL with my Traveler, but I'd prefer a MM with a replaceable stylus with the PLX-1000.

Should I expect the 2M Black to sound anything like the Hana SL given that both have Shibata styli?

I've heard the 2M Black can be "unforgiving", which has not been my experience with the Hana. I like the 2M Blue but I'm looking for something more "liquid" and less analytical in a cartridge - the 2M Black has been reviewed as a mixed bag in that regard.

I'm considering upgrading from my Ortofon 2M Blue to a 2M Black on my PLX-1000 at a good discount for a used cartridge. I really do love the sound of the Hana SL with my Traveler, but I'd prefer a MM with a replaceable stylus with the PLX-1000.

Should I expect the 2M Black to sound anything like the Hana SL given that both have Shibata styli?

I've heard the 2M Black can be "unforgiving", which has not been my experience with the Hana. I like the 2M Blue but I'm looking for something more "liquid" and less analytical in a cartridge - the 2M Black has been reviewed as a mixed bag in that regard.

The 2M black is a divisive cartridge, but, and I’m sure even those who love it will say this, if you’re looking for something less analytical then you’re absolutely barking up the wrong tree with it. It’s the king of analysis to the point I’m almost expecting it to provide me with a 10,000 word dissertation with each album playback…

@Mather runs a 2M Black.

@Mather runs a 2M Black.
I don't have a lot of comparisons to make with the black because I went Silver for about a day, hated it and moved up to Bronze, and then pretty quickly moved to Black. Bottom line for me is that if you've got a clean well pressed record the Black will sing.. If you've got ANYTHING wrong with the record, the Black will make sure you know about it. But I've never run anything beyond those three so I don't really have any point of reference.

I don't have a lot of comparisons to make with the black because I went Silver for about a day, hated it and moved up to Bronze, and then pretty quickly moved to Black. Bottom line for me is that if you've got a clean well pressed record the Black will sing.. If you've got ANYTHING wrong with the record, the Black will make sure you know about it. But I've never run anything beyond those three so I don't really have any point of reference.
That is helpful. I'm thinking that the 2M Black may not take me in the direction I want to go. I don't want a prototypical "ruthlessly revealing" cartridge; I have many records with flaws that I already think the 2M Blue exposes more than I'd like.

@Slimwhit33 - how about the Nagaoka MP-500?

That is helpful. I'm thinking that the 2M Black may not take me in the direction I want to go. I don't want a prototypical "ruthlessly revealing" cartridge; I have many records with flaws that I already think the 2M Blue exposes more than I'd like.

From what I've heard that is a good choice for what you're describing. Warm and forgiving.

And hoo boy yeah if you think the Blue exposes them... the Black would like you to hold SEVERAL beers for it.

Because two carts have the same stylus profile doesnt mean they will sound similar. Shibata is no magic, its just a (good) tip profile.
You may want to look into a Garrott Brothers cart. There is one with a shibata, and it sounds very organic, not analytical - although the detail level will sneak up on you.

An advantage of the Garrott is that you can replace the stylus with a JICO SAS, which is not only superior to any Shibata, it is just the best needle profile available, and is quite forgiving.

I dont buy the bullshit about forgiving and analytical. A great cart should sound good with any record.

Thats like saying I have a fantastic car that just purrs like a tiger and rides and smooth as a babys butt. But only on sunny warm days. Performs inferior to a cheap shitbox when its raining or cloudy. Screw that. Consistency and adaptability matter.

Not sure if there are any Denon fans here.
Anyone have experience with this one?

I believe that one is based on the DL103R rather than the old DL110.

I run a DL103R that's been repotted in an aftermarket aluminum body and rebuilt by Sound Smith. It's fantastic, but it's been so long since I've heard the stock version that I don't really remember how the straight-from-the-factory version sounds. :)

I haven't spent a lot of time listening to the MP500 up to this point, probably less than 30-40hrs, but I can say that its is not a harsh cart at all. Very close tonally to the Hana SL I am now running on the 1210. Highly recommended..

I run a DL103R that's been repotted in an aftermarket aluminum body and rebuilt by Sound Smith. It's fantastic, but it's been so long since I've heard the stock version that I don't really remember how the straight-from-the-factory version sounds. :)
I am running the 103R now and it's great. You are correct the A110 is based on the 103 generation but not sure if it's using same as 103R.

I know Denon set this cart up for specifically tuning with the phono amp in the PMA-A110. I need to hear it or see if anyone has played one yet.

Last edited:

I'm looking forward to giving the 103R a run on my MoFi table next month.. think its going to be a great match for the arm and I have loved the cart in previous stints. I have not yet tried the DL110.

I’ve had my Soundsmith MIMC Star ES for a little over two years now, and I have the creeping feeling that I’m going to have to send it in for a rebuild sometime this year. Hopefully the lead times aren’t still measured in months.

I’ve had my Soundsmith MIMC Star ES for a little over two years now, and I have the creeping feeling that I’m going to have to send it in for a rebuild sometime this year. Hopefully the lead times aren’t still measured in months.
Do you have a back up around for the eventual down time?

Back