Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

Really appreciate your input, @HiFi Guy !

That’s definitely what I’m thinking re: anti-skate. We can certainly rule out anything faulty with the cart itself! 😉

I tell you, the next time a good deal on an UltraDeck comes up, I might just be game to grab it to give the Opus another go, and if that’ll undoubtedly open the door to better and better carts, I’m going to need to have the full gamut of adjustments available anyway! Haha. Down the hole we go!

XTZ - holy smokes. Excited for that for you. Better be good next year!
What color is your Cliffwood?

I was starting to think about cutting cost on upgrades this year. I had to dip into my 6922 tube over the weekend and replace them in the DAC. The ARC PH5 will need a upgrade soon and I have my eye on Shunyata Power Cord too. I will have the Dynavector 20x2 retapped to cut cost. Thanks

For anyone following along at home re: my anti-skate mental gymnastics - increased tracking force and all seems to be virtually alleviated. Looks like the Cliffwood prefers tracking on the higher end of the recommended force range across the board.

Now I'm wishing I'd held onto @AnthonyI 's Opus3 a bit longer 😜
Is that $50 Grado coupon still unused? Haha

Seriously though - even more impressed with the Goldring E3 tracking at 2.2 currently. The balance of detail, warmth, boogie, and comfort is a tough line to tow, and I think this cart does a fabulous job of that.

I’d like some input on the ATVM-95 series.

My TT is an AT-LP5. I’ve had it for about 5 years and am still using the original cartridge (AT95EX) with an ATN95EX stylus (my third one, at the end of its life). The sound quality is adequate but tbh I’ve never loved it, which is why I’m considering a cartridge upgrade.

The ATVM-95 series sounds interesting because it may allow me to try out different styluses over time without needing to replace the cartridge. I’d probably buy one with the headshell as well, so that I can keep and easily replace it with my AT95EX for spinning beat-up records (I’m a champion of VG records). To start, I have my eyes on the ATVM-95EN (the orange one), which appears to be an upgrade over my currently setup.

The dilemma for me is whether a cartridge upgrade is what I actually need. I mentioned above not being super happy with the sound I get from my current setup (in addition to the AT-LP5, I’m using an Onkyo TX-8220 and ELAC B-5 speakers). One problem is that my living room is awkwardly shaped; my speakers sit on a narrow shelf and are only 1-2 inches away from the wall (not nearly enough to optimize their sound). Obviously a new cartridge is not going to fix this issue, which makes me wonder whether I’d be better off just buying a replacement stylus for the current cartridge and calling it a day.

Another consideration is that my record-cleaning regimen consists solely of a brush and the occasional application of fluid before brushing (i.e. the “Storf method,” which I already employed well before I ever heard of Very Meaty Pizza). I suspect that some (all?) of my records would sound better if they were deep-cleaned, but I don’t have the budget for a vacuum or ultrasonic cleaner, nor the time/patience for something like a Spin Clean.

So this is where I’m at. I’m sitting on 1000+ records (been collecting for about 20 years, more aggressively over the past 7-8) and a tight budget (my wife and I just had our second child; she will not be going back to work full-time so we’re losing the good health insurance for our kids that we had through her job, and our new health insurance costs mean I’ll be effectively taking a 20% pay cut; let’s just say we expect to end 2022 in the “red.” This is America.). I have some Xmas money that I could use on records, but I’m thinking of directing it toward the new cartridge (seems like the last chance of an upgrade that I’ll have for a while).

What should I do: Buy the ATVM-95 cartridge with the orange stylus (ATVM-95EN)? Get the ATVM-95 cartridge but with a different stylus? Get a different cartridge altogether? Just replace my current stylus and keep on trucking? Sell my shirts to buy an ultrasonic record cleaner? Find a different hobby? I’m open to suggestions.

My TT is an AT-LP5. I’ve had it for about 5 years and am still using the original cartridge (AT95EX) with an ATN95EX stylus (my third one, at the end of its life). The sound quality is adequate but tbh I’ve never loved it, which is why I’m considering a cartridge upgrade.

The ATVM-95 series sounds interesting because it may allow me to try out different styluses over time without needing to replace the cartridge. I’d probably buy one with the headshell as well, so that I can keep and easily replace it with my AT95EX for spinning beat-up records (I’m a champion of VG records). To start, I have my eyes on the ATVM-95EN (the orange one), which appears to be an upgrade over my currently setup.

The dilemma for me is whether a cartridge upgrade is what I actually need. I mentioned above not being super happy with the sound I get from my current setup (in addition to the AT-LP5, I’m using an Onkyo TX-8220 and ELAC B-5 speakers). One problem is that my living room is awkwardly shaped; my speakers sit on a narrow shelf and are only 1-2 inches away from the wall (not nearly enough to optimize their sound). Obviously a new cartridge is not going to fix this issue, which makes me wonder whether I’d be better off just buying a replacement stylus for the current cartridge and calling it a day.

Another consideration is that my record-cleaning regimen consists solely of a brush and the occasional application of fluid before brushing (i.e. the “Storf method,” which I already employed well before I ever heard of Very Meaty Pizza). I suspect that some (all?) of my records would sound better if they were deep-cleaned, but I don’t have the budget for a vacuum or ultrasonic cleaner, nor the time/patience for something like a Spin Clean.

So this is where I’m at. I’m sitting on 1000+ records (been collecting for about 20 years, more aggressively over the past 7-8) and a tight budget (my wife and I just had our second child; she will not be going back to work full-time so we’re losing the good health insurance for our kids that we had through her job, and our new health insurance costs mean I’ll be effectively taking a 20% pay cut; let’s just say we expect to end 2022 in the “red.” This is America.). I have some Xmas money that I could use on records, but I’m thinking of directing it toward the new cartridge (seems like the last chance of an upgrade that I’ll have for a while).

What should I do: Buy the ATVM-95 cartridge with the orange stylus (ATVM-95EN)? Get the ATVM-95 cartridge but with a different stylus? Get a different cartridge altogether? Just replace my current stylus and keep on trucking? Sell my shirts to buy an ultrasonic record cleaner? Find a different hobby? I’m open to suggestions.

Looking at everything you have listed and what you state I can think of 3 upgrades all of which would improve sound but it’s a matter of priorities in the end.

1. New Cart;
2. New phono stage; or
3. RCM.

I think that a phono stage is often the most underrated upgrade and wrongly so, they are brilliant! However I wouldn’t prioritise it for you.

Either a new cartridge or a RCM would make a difference. However, given that you are a fan of used records I’d priories cleaning. Cleaning really does make a huge difference to record playback, and especially to old records. I was amazed by the difference with my spin clean and even more amazed when I got the HumminGuru. I know it’s not what you probably wanted to hear but I’d be investing the funds in the best cleaning method that you would realistically use and that you can afford.

Last edited:
Does this help at all? Ironically, I found the EN had a trickier job of justifying itself than the E or ML but they're all blinding affordable carts.
Thanks, I had seen your review already and found it quite instructive. The main reason I’ve been hesitating to get the E is because I’m not sure if it’s an upgrade over my current stylus (which is also elliptical, bonded). I’d love to get an ML but that’s outside my current affordability range.

But you’re right: given my current financial limitations, the E may be the way to go as it will at least open the door to future upgrades if/when I can afford them. It’ll be interesting to compare it to the AT95EX and see if there’s any difference. Better yet, it (with the headshell included) will fit my budget perfectly.

Looking at everything you have listed and what you state I can think of 3 upgrades all of which would improve sound but it’s a matter of priorities in the end.

1. New Cart;
2. New phono stage; or
3. RCM.

I think that a phono stage is often the most underrated upgrade and wrongly do; they are brilliant! However I wouldn’t prioritise it for you.

Either a new cartridge or a RCM would make a difference. However, given that you are a fan of used records I’d priories cleaning. Cleaning really does make a huge difference to record playback, and especially to old records. I was amazed by the difference with my spin clean and even more amazed when I got the HumminGuru. I know it’s not what you probably wanted to hear but I’d be investing the funds in the best cleaning method that you would realistically use and that you can afford.
This is helpful advice as well; I needed to hear from someone who experienced actual improvement in sound that is directly attributable to record cleaning. About 75% of my purchases are used records; even if the price is the same, I usually prefer a used VG copy to a run-of-the-mill reissue. My local shop does a decent job cleaning their non-dollar-bin records, but every once in a while I buy from other sources that obviously have not taken good care of their vinyl. And my “solution” is just to use more fluid and then brush over all the crud.

As you can tell, among many character flaws, I have an aversion to things that are too nice and have been too lazy to seriously consider any RCM (I admit I’ve done some lurking in the Hummingbird thread, but that’s about it). I’m a bit freaked out by the Spin Clean (it seems too accident prone) but other machines are out of my range. Maybe I’ll pop into the vinyl cleaning thread to ask for more suggestions on that front.

This. If the bulk of your purchases are used find some sort of cleaning system, it will definitely be the best ROI. I would go with a RCM or the HummingGuru, it seems to be a sound piece of equipment based on user experience on the forums.

Reducing surface noise is a noticeable improvement, so I would suggest an ultrasonic rcm. If you're looking for the greatest bang for the buck, I've been very happy with the results from using a diy one from Vevor. For under $250 it's hard to beat, and for more $ a HumminGuru would be nice.

This. If the bulk of your purchases are used find some sort of cleaning system, it will definitely be the best ROI. I would go with a RCM or the HummingGuru, it seems to be a sound piece of equipment based on user experience on the forums.
I would definitely recommend upgrading your record cleaner before spending significantly more on a new cartridge. A more sophisticated cartridge may end up picking up more noise if your records aren't really clean. A Record Doctor V RCM is only a bit larger than a shoebox and costs about $220. Better than a spin clean, cheaper than a VPI or Pro-Ject.

I think that a phono stage is often the most underrated upgrade and wrongly so, they are brilliant! However I wouldn’t prioritise it for you.

this so much @Joe Mac , when my NAD had to go into service to be reanimated , i had to go back to the 80s Technics amp that i had never used with an external phono stage before. The phono stage made the Technics amp sound so much better and i did not mind not having the NAD.

The main reason I’ve been hesitating to get the E is because I’m not sure if it’s an upgrade over my current stylus (which is also elliptical, bonded).
I don’t have experience with the AT cartridges, but the switch from the bonded elliptical Ortofon 2M Red to the nude elliptical 2M Blue is shocking and revelatory. It’s just a stylus swap on the same cartridge body. It doesn’t sound like much of a change, but it is.

I don’t have experience with the AT cartridges, but the switch from the bonded elliptical Ortofon 2M Red to the nude elliptical 2M Blue is shocking and revelatory. It’s just a stylus swap on the same cartridge body. It doesn’t sound like much of a change, but it is.
Absolutely. I think all of us here are in agreement that the Blue is the price to performance sweet spot in the 2M line, as well.

I think the general rule of thumb is that nude ellipticals perform better than bonded ellipticals primarily because of less moving mass on the cantilever. Bonded ellipticals have a chunk of metal hanging on the end whereas a nude elliptical is a pure, whole diamond.

For music lovers, that translates to greater clarity and precision in replay, but at an added cost of manufacture.

Looking at the 2M Blue diamond under a magnifying glass always gives me a tingle of joy.☺️

I think the general rule of thumb is that nude ellipticals perform better than bonded ellipticals primarily because of less moving mass on the cantilever. Bonded ellipticals have a chunk of metal hanging on the end whereas a nude elliptical is a pure, whole diamond.

For music lovers, that translates to greater clarity and precision in replay, but at an added cost of manufacture.

Looking at the 2M Blue diamond under a magnifying glass always gives me a tingle of joy.☺️
I don’t think you can look at anything on a stylus/cartridge assembly in a vacuum.

I’d totally agree the 2m Blue has lower moving mass than the 2m Red due the nude mounted stylus. Moving Magnet cartridges have the highest moving mass though. Moving Coils have less. Moving Iron have the least.

I’d be willing to wager a bet that the Grado Prestige series has much lower moving mass as opposed to any Moving Magnet cartridge, even with their bonded styli. The only part that moves in a Moving Iron cartridge (Grado, Nagaoka MP, Goldring 2000 series, Soundsmith) is the cantilever itself. The magnets and coils are stationary.

After living with a few different cartridges last year, I remounted my Grado Gold3. I went ahead and replaced the stylus, upgrading to the 8MZ.

I also changed the mounting screws to black Allen/Hex bolts. I aligned then cartridge and using a small Allen wrench, got the bolts tight. Like tight plus another 1/8 turn.

I’ve been on vacation so I’ve had lots of time to listen. A few thoughts:

The 8MZ is an upgrade even for the 3 series cartridge. It costs the same as a Gold stylus. I’m not sure why Grado bothers- they should put the 8MZ on the Gold from the factory.

Tightening up the body helped the sound as well- mostly in clarity/focus. I’d be really careful doing this though- I can easily see the carbon fiber arms on Pro-ject tables or plastic headshells becoming damaged. Try at your own risk

I’m still stunned how good the Grado Gold3 is. I haven’t heard a cartridge I like more at twice the price.

I’m still stunned how good the Grado Gold3 is. I haven’t heard a cartridge I like more at twice the price.
The series 3 Grados really are so excellent. Going from a Green2 with an 8MZ to spending some time with Anthony’s Opus3, it was huge. I was surprised.

I’ve had a bunch of time mounting and aligning carts lately too, and I’m continually reminded of how the smallest adjustments make such big differences. Biggest discovery as of late is focusing on aligning the cantilever, not necessary the front of the cartridge body.

Back