October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 17: Simpsons Saturday

Elvis Costello "This Year's Model" (1978 Columbia; 2015 Ume reissue)

IMG_0928.JPG

Cannot find a clip, but he appears in Season 14 "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation" as the owner of Elvis Costello's Instrument Shack.

Here's a gif:

4sNU.gif

Day 17: The Simpson’s Saturday

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

9B2E7F97-8804-4121-97BD-F3D73B0D26E0.jpeg

This whole album is an undeniable masterpiece of the 1990s and one of the greatest double albums in history. I loved how they were willing to laugh at themselves on their Simpsons appearance around that same time. Something tells me he wouldn’t be up for that these days.

Day 16: Side Hustle

Maynard's side project is more prolific than his "main" band....or other side project. They have a new album coming out at the end of the month.

This one is a live show of "countryfied" versions of their tracks, a few tracks are on the "What Is" DVD - trailer below.

Puscifer ‎– Puscifer's 8-Ball Bail Bonds – The Berger Barns Live In Phoenix
Puscifer Entertainment ‎– none, 2013

#BFRSD13 - Limited to 1000 on red transparent vinyl

Pressed at United

Hzpd4W.jpg

lrnKpg.jpg

Day 16: Side Hustle

The Brian May Band - Live At The Brixton Academy (Parlophone, 1994 First Pressing)

Forgot to post this yesterday! I really need to start posting them as soon as I am done listening. Anyway, this is one of the handful of albums that Brian May released as part of a solo project, while he was still with Queen.

IMG_3051.JPG

Day 17: Simpsons

Kinda surprised they only appeared on 1 episode. - also Happy Birthday to Michael McKean

Spinal Tap ‎– From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack "This Is Spinal Tap"
Polydor ‎– PDS-1-6390, 1984

Canadian pressing

Cut at SNB
Pressed at Cinram

whSG9l.jpg

lSt3Ce.jpg

Day 17: The Simpsons Saturday
Spin an album by an artist featured on TV’s longest running animated sitcom (bonus points if you include a video clip of their appearance)
Part 1 (Prime Simpsons)
The Ramones - The Ramones

From Season 5 Episode 4 “Rosebud”
6A546D32-8B08-4A73-8319-55B16D1D5F04.jpeg
“Have The Rolling Stones Killed”

Part 2 (Occasionally Entertaining Moments)
Animal Collective - Sung Tongs

From Season 23 Episode 19 “ A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again”
F74AC445-833F-48E9-A740-E75F07F2F1E2.jpeg

Edit: Fox is pretty fast with those copyright claims. Here is a link to google...

While this episode itself (like many late period Simpsons episodes) is not amazing it contained a multitude of Pop Culture references that connected with me. Obviously the AC soundtrack but also the episode kicked off with a nice Hot Chip montage...
And I would also be remiss if I didn’t point out the David Foster Wallace alluding title they also managed to drop in a nice little DFW Easter egg...
44BB2280-CA32-42E5-84B8-68E5AEEB7542.jpeg

Last edited:
Back