November 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: High wind through the trees, falling November leaves, a weak sun hanging low, summer seems so long ago...

Day 3

Normally, a stressful day means I’m playing Joy Division, Nine Inch Nails or Rage Against the Machine for catharsis.

Currently, the biggest stress in my life is when little Rose won’t stop crying, isn’t hungry or wet and is resisting sleep. Jack Johnson relieves that stress and I ordered this one especially for her:
84F445B3-300A-4D4E-98E6-AE1E015F43B4.jpeg
Jack Johnson and Friends - Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the film Curious George

Last edited:
Day 1
Dia de los Muertos "Day of the Dead"

Play a record to pay respects to someone who has passed, be it a record they loved or one that reminds you of them.

I had more issues when my dog died than when my dad died.

RIP, Lucy.

The Beatles ‎– Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Apple Records ‎– 5099963380514, 1967/2014

Mono - All Analog

Cut by Sean Magee at Abbey Road
Pressed at Optimal

8xqRVe.jpg

KnFrIz.jpg

Day 2
Melbourne Cup Day
Play an album that references racing or any of the traditions of the holiday, like hats.

I'm shocked that no one played the actual album...

Queen ‎– Jazz
Elektra ‎– 6E-166, 1978

Promo

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at PRC, Compton

xu6cau.jpg

vNBSZm.jpg

20200503_021132 (2).jpg

Day 3
Stress Awareness Day
Play a record that helps you deal with stress whether it's dancing, exercise, or meditation.

I'm usually the most stressed as I am driving to work, as I'm usually unaware of how the night is going to go. Even with Covid numbers getting better, we still have a high number of Covid patients and a high census of patients in general.

That being said, my last couple of nights weren't that bad, but I still gear up on my drive into work with something.

Mudvayne – The End Of All Things To Come
SRC Vinyl – SRC072, 2002/2017

Cut by Stan Ricker
Pressed at RTI

cqkjgV.jpg

EB6kZx.jpg

Day 3
Stress Awareness Day
Play a record that helps you deal with stress whether it's dancing, exercise, or meditation.

Tengger - Nomad

I started buying ambient type stuff on vinyl mostly for my wife, who loves all things chill. But I've really come to appreciate it, especially when i need to decompress. I believe this was recommended to me by @TenderLovingKiller®

teng.jpeg

1. Dia de los Muertos "Day of the Dead"
Play a record to pay respects to someone who has passed, be it a record they loved or one that reminds you of them.

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

The song "Someone Great" is full of the kind of details that hit you once you've lost someone, including the lines "I wake up and the phone is ringing/ surprised as it's early/ and that should be the perfect warning/ that something's a problem." The same year this album came out, we got an early-morning call of our own when my wife's father had a sudden heart attack, and by the time we got a call it was already too late. The song, while full of details that obviously don't apply, always makes me think of him, and of that sad, strange day.

20201205_085508-jpg.78906

3. Stress Awareness Day

Mary Lattimore - Silver Ladders

20211103_175051.jpg

Back when cheap store drops were still a thing over at that other place, I took a chance on this and have been so thankful I did. Bonus: my wife loves it too! It might be our most spun record from that place at this point.

Appropriately enough, I just got back from a stressful handoff with the 4-year-old's mom so this is a perfect record and prompt combination for this exact moment - the record has already worked wonders.

Day 2 - Melbourne Cup Day
Play an album that references racing or any of the traditions of the holiday, like hats.

Playing catch up using the old amp while waiting for the new tubes to get here on the FedEx boat. Not a huge racing guy, so we'll just go with the need for speed.

Paul Weller - Days Of Speed

48EE3FBF-FED6-4C0D-9D24-903247AE1433.jpeg

Day 4
Diwali ("Festival of Lights")
Play a record with a song referencing lights or has cover art that features lighting.

I was looking for something else, but then remembered this one...

Richard & Linda Thompson ‎– Shoot Out The Lights
Hannibal/Rhino/Rykodisc ‎– R1 71303, 1982/2018

Rhino's "Start Your Ear Off Right" campaign - Limited to 4300 worldwide

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at Optimal

VMxcpd.jpg

PAiWEo.jpg

Back