November 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: High wind through the trees, falling November leaves, a weak sun hanging low, summer seems so long ago...

Ah, yes. I don’t have that album on wax. Also, they had a lotta songs about competition.

This was one of these challenges where I got a bunch of ideas right away... don't know if I was just caffeinated well enough or what. Just off the top of my head, I had the Blur I played, Teenage Fanclub, Queen, Flaming Lips (that one got played), The Cars, Kraftwerk and Springsteen.

This was one of these challenges where I got a bunch of ideas right away... don't know if I was just caffeinated well enough or what. Just off the top of my head, I had the Blur I played, Teenage Fanclub, Queen, Flaming Lips (that one got played), The Cars, Kraftwerk and Springsteen.
Teenage Fanclub and Springsteen were back ups.

1. Dia de los Muertos "Day of the Dead"

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young - Déjà Vu

8874A0CA-A57A-496F-B41E-4E46EF368118.jpeg

My dad was a big fan and tried so hard to name me Graham (after Graham Nash) when I was born. This album was played a lot in our home. When I was four, “Our House” was the first song I remember ever just feeling like it was the most perfect thing I’d ever heard. I’d try to teach my playground friends how to sing it so I could hear it during the day when I was at preschool, and it drove me crazy that they couldn’t get the harmony just right.

Stress Awareness Day
Play a record that helps you deal with stress whether it's dancing, exercise, or meditation.

I was thinking of putting on some Norah today as that new Christmas album is waiting to be played and her voice/instrumentation is a bit like a nice warm bath sonically, but this'll be a different direction If you can't dance a bit and enjoy the pop vibes of this one, that is some serious old stress. Let Carly take the stress away for a bit. Several top flight cardio songs on this one too (Call Me Maybe, Good Time, Tonight I'm Getting Over You).

Carly Rae Jepsen - Kiss

PXL_20211103_163717573.jpg

Stress Awareness Day
Play a record that helps you deal with stress whether it's dancing, exercise, or meditation.

Easily my favorite live album. Clear recording, great mix, and the Dead are super tight at this show where they debuted Blues for Allah. Also one of the few shows they did in '75. The Help On The Way --> Slipknot! --> Franklin's Tower that kicks it off is musical mediation, so easy to get lost in.

Grateful Dead ~ One From the Vault

1635957555477.png

Day 01: Dia de los Muertos "Day of the Dead"
Play a record to pay respects to someone who has passed, be it a record they loved or one that reminds you of them.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
874DC63A-DBF9-4A2E-A27F-1A4C9CE3C9E0.jpeg

A brief eulogy for my friend, Cory John Higgins:

I met Cory in the 4th Grade we immediately bonded over pop culture, though at the time that was more discussing episodes of Beverly Hills 90210 than music. Cory had a tough home life he and his sister were raised by his alcoholic father, his mother had abandoned their family years prior. His dad was a good man but was usually either working, drunk, or asleep. My home, being more stable; unofficially adopted Cory. He would regularly eat meals and sleep over, usually only going home to shower and change his clothes. As we grew up we would spend less time together, though we both enjoyed good music and a good time, he was running more with the Stoner Crew and I was with my fellow athletes. We would still hang out a good deal just not as much as we did as boys. There were many occasions where we’d drop acid or smoke some grass and listen to Dark Side Of The Moon. Sometimes in his black light filled bedroom sometimes while syncing it up with The Wizard Of Oz. After graduating and going away to school I lost touch with Cory for a bit but when I returned back home for a year after college we reconnected and basically picked up where we had left off. Sadly Cory’s drug habit had gotten worse, he began stealing from not only me but also my family and I decided that I needed to cut him out of my life for the most part. Towards the end I had heard he had gotten his shit together, decent employment, a steady girlfriend, etc. Sadly, about a year after I moved out to the West Coast my mom informed me that Cory had died. It was a drunken fall causing blunt trauma to his head. A sad ending. I regret not having one last conversation with him (we was a fantastic debater) but am thankful for the good times we had too.

Cheers Brother!

Last edited:
Day 1: Stress Awareness Day
Bright Eyes-Letting Off the Happiness

The band that always gets me through stressful times and any mental ailments. Could very well be my favorite non-legacy act band. They're at least my most listened to. Letting off the Happiness celebrated its 23rd bday yesterday, so could use a celebratory spin!
20211103_121944.jpg

Day 3: Stress Awareness Day

Whenever I get stressed, I just like to play loud music. Something with enough energy and/or bombast that it’ll drown out my own thoughts. Most of the time it’s either soul or pop or classic rock, or on rare occasions it can be something like…

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

D64979E5-DB11-468B-8F6D-25187DC236BA.jpeg

3. Stress Awareness Day

Sade "Lovers Rock" (2000 Epic; 2020 reissue, from "This Far" box set)
For me, it depends what kind of stress or anxiety I'm going through. If I'm anxious because my daughter has an event coming up, then I want to escape with something heavy or rhythmic. But when what I'm going through is more akin to anger or the general feeling of just having too many things to juggle, then I want something smooth to zone out a little. Sade's voice and smooth basslines would do the trick in that case. With the volume way up.

IMG_1942.JPG

Back