November 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: High wind through the trees, falling November leaves, a weak sun hanging low, summer seems so long ago...

1. Melbourne Cup Day
    Play an album that references racing of any kind.
I'll represent my Alabama buddies, Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires.

The tune - 'Dirt Track'. This song is based on a conversation Lee had with a friend discussing how NASCAR had abandoned it's dirt track roots, the basis of the circuit, after gaining a certain level of popularity and income. He uses the subject as an allegory for never forgetting where you come from, staying true to your vision and staying the course - "keep on working, keep it on the dirt track".

I've seen LBIII&TGF live around 10 times and this song is always the show closer. We all go wild accordingly.

If you ever have a chance to go to a show, go. Thank me later. @Lee Newman will back me up on this.

Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires - Dereconstructed

20210927_004543.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2 Melbourne Cup Day
Play an album that references racing or any of the traditions of the holiday, like hats.

If Melbourne Cup is anything like the Kentucky Derby, there are plenty of crazy hats and masks!

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

PXL_20211102_150653730.jpg

Day 2 Melbourne Cup Day
Play an album that references racing or any of the traditions of the holiday, like hats.

Once upon a time there was a race car racer,
And he had himself a souped up AMC Pacer
It was shaped like a bubble, but it drove really fast

Slobberbone ~ Bees and Seas ~ The Best of Slobberbone

1635869377771.png

1. Melbourne Cup Day
    Play an album that references racing of any kind.
I'll represent my Alabama buddies, Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires.

The tune - 'Dirt Track'. This song is based on a conversation Lee had with a friend discussing how NASCAR had abandoned it's dirt track roots, the basis of the circuit, after gaining a certain level of popularity and income. He uses the subject as an allegory for never forgetting where you come from, staying true to your vision and staying the course - "keep on working, keep it on the dirt rack".

I've seen LBIII&TGF live around 10 times and this song is always the show closer. We all go wild accordingly.

If you ever have a chance to go to a show, go. Thank me later. @Lee Newman will back me up on this.

Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires - Dereconstructed

View attachment 116296

Yes, go!

Melbourne Cup Day

So this is a bit of an odd connection but let's go with it. One of my favorite racing games of all time is Burnout : Paradise, an arcadey-crashy freeworld racer that found just that right balance of skill and wanton destruction for my taste. It, like many other games*, had a pretty sick soundtrack in a mix of rock, hip-hop, house, and just great driving music with a ton of older Burnout tracks. However, the main track that they likely paid out the nose for was Paradise City by Guns and Roses, which has lived rent free in my head to this day. I still think of cruising in Paradise City with GnR Blasting. As such...

*Honestly, if I had the album, Molly Hatchet's Flirtin With Disaster would've been the choice, but y'all got spared my nostagia for Nascar '98

Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction

PXL_20211102_195415129.MP.jpg

Melbourne Cup Day

So this is a bit of an odd connection but let's go with it. One of my favorite racing games of all time is Burnout : Paradise, an arcadey-crashy freeworld racer that found just that right balance of skill and wanton destruction for my taste. It, like many other games*, had a pretty sick soundtrack in a mix of rock, hip-hop, house, and just great driving music with a ton of older Burnout tracks. However, the main track that they likely paid out the nose for was Paradise City by Guns and Roses, which has lived rent free in my head to this day. I still think of cruising in Paradise City with GnR Blasting. As such...

*Honestly, if I had the album, Molly Hatchet's Flirtin With Disaster would've been the choice, but y'all got spared my nostagia for Nascar '98

Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction

View attachment 116330
I loved that game too. So much fun taking out cars. The destruction mode especially.

Back