November 2020 Challenge Thread: The End Is Near

Day 4 - Aftermath

I walked to our favorite bar with my lovely today, right after work. A few beers and dinner, a neighbor came up for a round or two. We talked about all of this election stuff a bit but also didn't for nice stretches. Went home for a bowl and another round and this album seemed perfect. It is.

Santana - Abraxas

san.jpgfire.jpg

Day 5: Guy Fawkes Day
Play an album by a revolutionary artist.

Gonna keep it in my home state for this one.

Three of the greatest jazz artists of all time were from North Carolina - John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Nina Simone. But I'm going in a different direction, someone lesser known in many cases but in no way less influential.

Link Wray is credited as being a pioneer in using intentional distortion on the electric guitar. Now think about the lasting impact of that. Immeasurable.

Here's Jimmy Page getting all giddy over Link Wray...

Link Wray - Live At the Paradiso

20201105_001055.jpg

There are so many to choose from, but I don't have much Berlioz on vinyl. There's the sound of this music and there's also the stark look of the cover, like a gauntlet thrown down. This was certainly a record that made a lot of people go off and think very hard about what they should do next...DSCN0104.JPG

Emil Beaulieau / Ron Lessard. Revolutionary enough? Let's play 500 Lock-Grooves. It's hard to enjoy more revolutions on just one LP. 500 artists do nothing but revolve. And both Emil and Ron are kinda all about turning the tables. He's also a personal hero, friend and he was kind enough to help me get started in the local music scene here.

This is my first post on this forum to include photos of my junk. So I tried to get good hi-def images for y'all.

2020-11-04-500-Lock-Grooves-DSC03497.jpg

2020-11-04-500-Lock-Grooves-DSC03498.jpg

Click me for even higher res!

And just for fun I searched for plays of this album on the radio.

Releases - Mozilla Firefox 2020-11-04 18.46.12.png

Gil Scott-Heron & Makaya McCraven - We're New Again: A Reimagining By Makaya McCraven (XL Recordings, 2020 First Pressing)

There's no question in my mind that Gil Scott-Heron was a revolutionary musician, and this reimagining by Makaya McCraven certainly does him justice in my opinion.

IMG_4661.JPG

Play an album by a revolutionary artist

"The first time I heard Bob Dylan, I was in the car with my mother listening to WMCA, and on came that snare shot that sounded like somebody'd kicked open the door to your mind" - Bruce Springsteen inducting Dylan into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Bob Dylan ~ Highway 61 Revisited

1604600528098.png

Back