November 2020 Challenge Thread: The End Is Near

Day 4: The Aftermath

I was too tired to do anything yesterday, and I'm hard pressed to interpret my mood, but here is a day 4 twofer:

Beverly - The Blue Swell

PXL_20201105_191930557.MP.jpg
Punny, no? I'm not much for red/blue politics, but in our terrible system the Dems do marginally less harm, and while the "blue wave" is fiction, looks like there's a bit of good news around.

Ivan & Alyosha - It's All Just Pretend
PXL_20201105_204152482.MP.jpg
Of course government oppression is real, but we take care of us. Our systems are human built and maintained, and we can build new ones, if we want.

Day 4 The Aftermath
Because I’d rather be listening to A lounge singer crooning on the moon than hear anymore talk about politics

Also I I’ve seen these guys a few times and like all their albums, but I absolutely hated this album the first 5 times or so that I listened to it. Then one day I put it on and it just clicked and I’ve liked it a little more every time I hear it.
666F01FB-D120-4752-8C4E-493B555B24D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Got a bit of catching up to do

Day 2: Anticipation
It's Election Day in the US tomorrow. Feeling excited, hopeful, scared, all of the above? Play an album that reflects your mood.

Our buffoon sees himself as the Tropics version of the US buffoon, so the thought of him getting reelected lands me on:

🎶This is a low flying panic attaaaaaaack🎶

181A211C-C2DA-4075-A15C-444FE8F84452.jpeg

So the Aftermath of listening to this record was It slipped out of my hands rolled away and now has a big scratch . I took it to the spin clean ran it through and I’m happy to say that I’m playing it again and it sounds fine.

Day 5: Guy Fawkes Day

If you didn't grow up in the 80's, you may not understand how HUGE he was. He was odd, but popular. He wasn't in the weird recluse period yet.

Michael Jackson ‎– Off The Wall
MJJ Productions/Epic/Legacy ‎– 88875189421, 1979/2016

Cut by Daniel Krieger at SST
Pressed at MPO

8agAxS.jpg

qmtI0i.jpg

Day 6: Adolphe Sax's Birthday
Play an album that features the saxophone.

There were so many artists I wanted to feature for this one, but at the end it has to be Parker. The whole adventure in music of my life really starts here. This is the most recently purchased of my Parker collection: what does it say about anything when music of this skill, power and beauty is played at three in the morning to a crowd of drunks? However Parker's inventiveness and sense of humour are on a high.

DSCN0105.JPG

Day 6: Adolphe Sax's Birthday - Play an album that features the saxophone.

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

I was on travel the past few days so I missed a few, but I'm back now and it sounds like the insta links are working again too!haha This album not only features the saxophone in the music and on the cover but features the saxophone god!

Day 6: Adolphe Sax's Birthday

Lol Coxhill and Fred Frith French Gigs (1983)

Lol Coxhill (RIP) deserves more attention, don't you think? I love this album. Free improv is one of the hardest kinds of music to do well. Sometimes a performance you were at doesn't measure up in the recording. I wasn't at any of these gigs but they must have been really good. I find it easy to imagine being there, enthralled, smiling at the wit and invention.

1604667329192.png

OT note on web, accessibility and seo: Images on this forum are displayed as thumbnails unless 1. you're a registered user and 2. you're logged in. If you include the artist name and album title in the text of your post then web visitors who aren't logged in members will know what you're listening to. Vision-impared people (some of whom are really into music) can more easily understand your posts even when logged in. And search engines can lead random people interested in the music you're playing to this forum, thread and to your post.

Back