November 2020 Challenge Thread: The End Is Near

Day 22: PIFsgiving Prep

I haven't spun this in a while (2+ years) and was thinking about playing it for Day 19, since it is produced by Brian Eno. Not a PIF candidate, though....but it is a great album that others should hear.

James ‎– Wah Wah
Fontana/Mercury ‎– 0602547096432, 1994/2015

Pressed at Optimal

WJRTRG.jpg

3mDmRi.jpg

Day 23: A Classic Monday

My only real classical albums are from soundtracks. This is one of those budget "fake" soundtracks at the time - not the actual recordings used in the movie.

And it has an interesting cover.

Various ‎– Great Classical Themes From The Film "A Clockwork Orange"
Angel Records ‎– S-36855, 1973?/~late 70's reissue

Repress from a Capitol, Scranton pressing

3uBhG6.jpg

Ta9yGA.jpg

Day 27: Black Friday
Play something you got in a Black Friday sale or for Black Friday RSD.

I’m behind but I have to start with this one because I’m enjoying this right now:

Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers

FD50E4C9-0E09-4CF0-BAE6-FBDF41940B59.jpeg

If you were to ask me to make a list of my top 3 “please press/re-press this” titles, it’d be Fountains of Wayne, Aimee Mann, and The Wrens’ Meadowlands. Needless to say, today was a big day when two of them were finally made available. This album is just so fantastic. Last night I learned that the band was not involved in this pressing and I was really worried about how this might sound, but thankfully it sounds pretty good. The typo for the first track (it’s supposed to be “Mexican Wine,” not “Mexican Summer”) is forgivable I suppose.

Aimee Mann - Bachelor No. 2
77A3D823-389D-407E-A0FE-69639BD02B50.jpeg
I am also with @Wes C. Attle regarding Bachelor No. 2 such a great album and through side A everything sounds spectacular. Also, very happy they included the songs featured on the Magnolia soundtrack. I actually purchased this CD back 20 (fuck, I am old) years ago based on what I had heard in the film. Initially I was bummed when I realized none of those songs were present on this album, though I got over that really fast.

Aimee Mann - Bachelor No. 2
View attachment 77525
I am also with @Wes C. Attle regarding Bachelor No. 2 such a great album and through side A everything sounds spectacular. Also, very happy they included the songs featured on the Magnolia soundtrack. I actually purchased this CD back 20 (fuck, I am old) years ago based on what I had heard in the film. Initially I was bummed when I realized none of those songs were present on this album, though I got over that really fast.

Really wish she would have also pressed her Christmas album for this year! That’s a classic around this household

Day 27 - Black Friday

To help prevent crowds, I was able to order this year’s BFRSD picks from my local without having to go in store, but I also can’t pick them until tomorrow. Not a big deal, I’ll just play this one from 2017.

28FE6FEC-C304-4025-86C1-96AD65788E04.jpeg

Day 24: Changing Weather

Fall in the PNW means the rain is back...I don't mind it too much. I do need to get a hooded jacket when I have to walk in the rain from the parking lot to the hospital building I work at. You get looks when using an umbrella around here.

I'm also playing this one to see if I really need to get the recent-ish reissue...I'll probably get it either way. This one was a 99 cent pick up from Goodwill years ago.

Eurythmics ‎– Touch
RCA Victor ‎– AFL1-4917, 1984

Cut by Jack Adelman
Pressed at RCA, Indianapolis

cKuAL1.jpg

T7jxz7.jpg

Day 17: Surprising Cover Song
Play an album that features a cover - one that's a really surprising choice for the artist.

I've got some catching up to do!

Beck ‎– Hypocrite / I Turn My Camera On

Hypocrite is written by Cage The Elephant
I Turn My Camera On is written by Spoon

Both really great songs.

PXL_20201127_195342539.jpg

Day 18: I Miss Live Music...Pt. II
A continuation of @TenderLovingKiller® 's theme from last month. Play an album from an act you've seen live, and post pics if you've got em.

Hoping next year to get back to seeing live shows. Please, everyone get the vaccine when you are able!

I was expecting to see these guys in March of this year, but that was cancelled. But at least I got their latest record.

King Buffalo - Dark Star

PXL_20201127_200145181.jpg

Last time I saw them was a tiny venue that had a capacity of like 50 people.

MVIMG_20181114_220839.jpg

Day 25: Turkey Bowl

I was gonna spin something else, but I just got this one in the mail and it's such a great album that is great to play alone in a basement or with friends.

XTC ‎– Drums And Wires
Ape House ‎– APELP103, 1979/2020

Includes bonus Chain of Command / Limelight 7" to replicate the original UK release

Cut by Jason Mitchell at Loud Mastering

wnNTtr.jpg

f8svsq.jpg

HSOrZ5.jpg

Day 20: Mature You
Play an album that younger you would never imagine you enjoying.

Not that I would not have enjoyed this, world music would have never crossed my radar when I was younger.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan ‎– Mustt Mustt

PXL_20201127_210909940.jpg

And a big cheers to @panino for selecting this as the N&G ROTM and introducing it to me! 🍻

Day 26: Thanksgiving

McCoy Tyner - Sahara (Milestone, 2020 VMP Classics Pressing)

I played and posted this on the wrong thread yesterday by mistake. Anyway, I searched for a song that included 'Family' in the title and found that this killer album from McCoy Tyner has a track titled 'A Prayer For My Family' which seemed like a nice fit.

IMG_5418 (1).JPG

Back