November 2020 Challenge Thread: The End Is Near

Day 19 - Big Producer
theweddingpresent - seamonsters

I know I'm not the first to do Albini and I'm not sure how well he fits the "big" producer theme, but he has been behind the boards for some of my favorite albums, many of them a shift in sound for the band, like this great one

PXL_20201124_160357772.jpg

Last edited:
Day 24: Changing Weather
Play something appropriate for the changing weather in your part of the world (colder for some, warmer for others).
Weather Report - Sweetnighter
DSCN0129.JPGOh Man, gotta get in first with this one! This is the last WR record I've bought, with Miroslav Vitous. I didn't know this one at all, it seems to be quite early.

Day 20 - Mature Me
The Cure - Faith

Kind of a tricky one because I don't know if I ever hated stereotypical old people music broadly, maybe since I was in band I was more open to jazz/classical. But I've had plenty of broad dislikes of genres and eras of music that eventually I overcome and unlock a lot of great stuff I didn't know about. One of the more recent examples of that is music with an 80s sound. Certainly there is still plenty of music from that era that I dislike, but I have found a ton of music from the 80s in the last few years that I love, some even with an "80s sound," like the Cure.

PXL_20201124_170437667.jpg

Day 22 - PIFsEVE
Jean Grae x Quelle Chris - Everything's Fine

Forgot about PIFsgiving because I haven't been in the PIF thread for a while because I don't have much I think would be worth offering there and my last two were duds. However, I recently discovered that I have a sealed duplicate copy of this that I can't find any record of ordering. So I think I'll PIF it over there.

PXL_20201124_182355708.jpg

Day 24: Changing Weather - Play something appropriate for the changing weather in your part of the world (colder for some, warmer for others).

Otis Redding - Lonely & Blue: The Deepest Soul of Otis Redding

This is always a good one to throw on on a cool fall evening!

Blossom Dearie - Blossom Time At Ronnie Scott's (Fontana, 1966 First UK Mono Pressing)

I always sway towards vocal jazz on the lead up to Christmas and this one from Blossom Dearie is a good one. Imagine being huddled up in Ronnie Scotts Club on a cold winters night, listening to Blossom sing! Bliss.

IMG_0326.JPG

Play something appropriate for the changing weather in your part of the world (colder for some, warmer for others)

If one really hates winter they could say that autumn is somewhere between the heaven that is summer and the hell of winter. But I'd rather go with the sentiment that this cold rainy weather we currently have is bad, but it isn't hell, I can deal with it. It's firmly entrenched somewhere between heaven and hell. But Cold Feelings are certainly on the way.

And speaking of that, Cold Feelings is one of those A+ album openers.

Screenshot_20201124-172929.jpg

Play something appropriate for the changing weather in your part of the world (colder for some, warmer for others).

It is indeed cold today. So some warming music with fantasy cocktails from an artist that knows how to keep the party moving.

It's Album Time with Todd Terje​

1606267492659.png

1606267717659.png

EDITED Nov 25 to add this tube of you. Give yourself 100 bonus points if you already made the connection to this particular brand of car.

Last edited:
Day 25: Turkey Bowl
Play something that'd be a great soundtrack to playing a game with friends (this could be any sport or a board game if sports aren't your thing).
The Fall - The Frenz Experiment
This one had me scratching my head a bit, until I thought "with Friends..."DSCN0130.JPG

Day 25: Turkey Bowl - Play something that'd be a great soundtrack to playing a game with friends (this could be any sport or a board game if sports aren't your thing).

The Black Keys - El Camino

Non-stop jams from beginning to end to help power you through a long game.

Play something that'd be a great soundtrack to playing a game with friends (this could be any sport or a board game if sports aren't your thing).
@D Jilla The instructions are clear but music fans outside of North America might not understand what they have to do with bowls of turkey. I've lived in the USA since 95 and I still don't understand the Bowl thing. Is it a sporting event? A trophy? If so, what sport and which event/trophy is the Turkey Bowl?

@D Jilla The instructions are clear but music fans outside of North America might not understand what they have to do with bowls of turkey. I've lived in the USA since 95 and I still don't understand the Bowl thing. Is it a sporting event? A trophy? If so, what sport and which event/trophy is the Turkey Bowl?
I don’t know dick about sports or “turkey bowl” I thought it was bowling with a frozen turkey 😅🤷‍♂️

Minimum Maximum Live 2 CD Set by Kraftwerk​

Most of the music in my collection is, judging from decades of experience, repellant to most social visitors to our home. So for card games and similar social events I like to prepare a playlist in Tidal by throwing in a number of albums and playing them on shuffle. I choose albums that I like but that can easily be ignored and nobody is going to complain about. (@Goodlivingav do you really play The Fall when you have friends over for a dominoes tournament?)

But it has to be just one album for this challenge. I find this one is a safe bet. I love it! At the same time it doesn't demand attention or irritate the psyche if you don't give it any. And it keeps the party going to two whole hours.

1606318871724.png

The DVD of the same, which you can watch on the tubes of you, is thrilling. Don't miss it.

Back