November 2020 Challenge Thread: The End Is Near

Day 27: Black Friday

Etta Jones ‎– A Soulful Sunday: Live At The Left Bank Featuring The Cedar Walton Trio (Reel To Reel, 2018 Limited RSD Pressing)

I've had a successful online Black Friday this year and managed to grab everything I wanted. One of the records I was after was a release from Reel To Real records (huge thanks to @Andy for tagging me in a copy he found online) so I decided to dig back into their previous Black Friday releases while I wait for it to arrive. One which I actually play less than the others is this gem from Etta James. Perhaps its because I tend to prefer instrumentals, but when I'm in the mood for vocal jazz this is a killer one to turn to. Such powerful and emotional singing. Just superb!

IMG_5457.JPG

Day 26: Thanksgiving
What are you thankful for? Express it with music.

It has been the strangest Thanksgiving I can remember, although the year I came down with mono in the 80s is a close second. And yet, I am very thankful for many things. My closest people are safe and healthy...and I am too. I'm thankful that I have the means to create art and music with my bandmates and artist friends, even just remotely for the time being. I'm thankful for this forum; my favorite place on the internet. Cheers to you all. 🍻

And I'm thankful for artists like Michael Kiwanuka that put out such meaningful and beautiful music.

MK.jpg

Play something you got in a Black Friday sale or for Black Friday RSD.
Stumped. I don't recall ever shopping for music in a Black Friday sale and I only learned what an RSD was a couple of weeks ago.

I got a notification today from Bleep that my order of Seeing Through Sound (Pentimento Volume Two) by Jon Hassell LP with poster and mixtape cassette was dispatched. Is that acceptable?

Play something you got in a Black Friday sale or for Black Friday RSD

Today was my first ever Black Friday RSD purchase. I don't have it yet, it's being shipped to me, so I'll play a record by the same band.

Today's purchase was Masters of Reality - Sunrise on the Sufferbus
Todays album choice is Masters of Reality - Deep in the Hole

Screenshot_20201127-183638.jpg

Stumped. I don't recall ever shopping for music in a Black Friday sale and I only learned what an RSD was a couple of weeks ago.

I got a notification today from Bleep that my order of Seeing Through Sound (Pentimento Volume Two) by Jon Hassell LP with poster and mixtape cassette was dispatched. Is that acceptable?
Yep, that works!

Day 22: PIFsgiving Prep
Find an album that doesn't get many spins. Play it. If it hits the spot, great! If it doesn't, and you so choose, head on over to the PIF thread and send it to a new home.

Haven't spun this one in a while, but my wife chose it to play tonight, so I gotta keep it ;)

Queen - A Night At The Opera

PXL_20201128_000555734.jpg

Yep, that works!
Gr8!

Seeing Through Sound (Pentimento Volume Two) by Jon Hassell​

But I haven't got it yet. Only a dispatch confirmation email. Album cover below. But I ordered the bundle with a poster and mixtape cassette that is available in Soundcloud, which I'm listening to that now so let's have that cover art first.

Truancy Volume 53: Maxmillion Dunbar by Jon Hassell and Maxmillion Dunbar​

1606521752888.png

1606521444437.png

Day 26: Thanksgiving

Thankful the family isn't down with the sickness...considering how exposed my wife and I are with our jobs.

Disturbed ‎– The Sickness (10th Anniversary Edition)
Reprise Records ‎– 522888-1, 2000/2010

Limited variant on green translucent vinyl w/ bonus tracks

Cut by Ray Janos at Sterling
Pressed at GZ

O9Dz8c.jpg

tzwxLl.jpg

Last edited:

Since my local closed this summer I have to use online shops or the kindness of others to get anything.

I got this one back on BFRSD13

Red Hot Chili Peppers ‎– I'm Beside You
Warner Bros. Records ‎– 537400-1, 2013

Compilation of tracks previously released on 9 7" releases.

Limited/Numbered to 5000, #4399

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at RTI

2ObAcS.jpg

PXwNPG.jpg

Day 28 - Christmastime

An Ill Considered Christmas
A must-listen if you like adventurous jazz. The songs are fairly deconstructed, so it’s not the same old Christmas music, even though all of the tracks are renditions of classic songs. Pressing isn’t too good unfortunately.

ABE3C68E-B03E-4B96-B655-78E61C1E72EC.jpeg

Day 28: Christmastime
Okay, you're in the clear, it's that time of year - play a Christmas album.

Various Artists - Christmas in the Northwest

4FD4827D-CB28-4C13-8985-C3640B54A2EA.jpeg

Let’s face it, we’ve been playing Christmas music in this house since November 1st, as we’ve needed some holiday cheer a little earlier this year. This record is the only one I’ve ever stolen from my parents’ collection because of its ability to bring some comfort that it provided when I was a kid. I completely recognize how cheesy the titular track is, but anyone who grew up in Seattle in the 80s would back me up when I say this an all-time holiday classic.

Caution! 1980s cheese ahead!:

Okay, you're in the clear, it's that time of year - play a Christmas album.

A Christmas Record​

Literal enough? : P A cool comp ZE Records originally put out in 1981.

1606581543154.png

I'm at my desk so I'm listening on streaming, which has the expanded playlist from the 2004 CD release titled ZE Xmas Record Reloaded 2004. Whatever happened to The Waitresses?

Lisi – My Silent Night
Alan Vega – No More Christmas Blues
Cristina – Things Fall Apart
Miss OD & Gentlemen League – Bells Of Christmas
The Waitresses – Christmas Wrapping
Lio, Helena Noguerra & Marie France – Sleigh Ride
Charlélie Couture – Christmas Fever
Davitt Sigerson – It's A Big Country
August Darnell – Christmas On Riverside Drive
Material Featuring Nona Hendryx – It's A Holiday
Was (Not Was) – Christmas Time In Motor City
James White – Christmas With Satan
Suicide – Hey Lord

Day 24: Changing Weather
Play something appropriate for the changing weather in your part of the world (colder for some, warmer for others).

I think most places have a saying similar to this... "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes..." Where I live is no different, one day it can be sunny 75 F (25 C), the next day it is cold and rainy 35 F (2 C).

The Kills ‎– Ash & Ice

Ash record

PXL_20201128_170913213.jpg

Ice record
PXL_20201128_170945122.jpg

Day 25: Turkey Bowl
Play something that'd be a great soundtrack to playing a game with friends (this could be any sport or a board game if sports aren't your thing).

Every once in a while I play some low-stakes poker with my friends, and I've played this record to turn my luck around.

Albert King ‎– Born Under A Bad Sign

PXL_20201128_180028975.jpg

Okay, you're in the clear, it's that time of year - play a Christmas album

Wir Warten auf's Christkind - Die Roten Rosen

OK. I thought I was going to draw a complete blank here, then I remembered if we go over to CD's for a moment I DO have the Christmas CD from the German Punk band Die Toten Hosen. I somehow have this because of my brother-in-law, somehow, I can't quite remember, the one thing I can remember is that he pointed out that these days in Germany, it's hard to get Christmas albums in anything other than English, and this one is in German! It also has a recipe for Dresdener Christstollen , so what more do you want? Merry Christmas!DSCN0135.JPG

Back