NOT the Definitive Audiophile pressing, but the really, really nice pressing thread.

Does anyone have either of these copies of Roberta Flack's "First Take" or know of any other good (not so expensive) versions? I have an OG that had great mastering but is a bit worn.

Run Out Groove

Rhino standard

I don't have direct experience with either of these, but I do have a lotta Run Out Groove releases and they've never let me down.

Does anyone have either of these copies of Roberta Flack's "First Take" or know of any other good (not so expensive) versions? I have an OG that had great mastering but is a bit worn.

Run Out Groove

Rhino standard
Comments on the new one suggest that it's using the same stampers as the Run Out Groove release from 2020, so probably not much difference between the two.

Run Out Groove

Rhino standard
I have a pretty clean OG that I was just listening to and was impressed by how good it sounded. Maybe finding a cleaner OG would be the way to go? Looks like you could still find a good copy in the $15-20 range.

I have this one:

I have a pretty clean OG that I was just listening to and was impressed by how good it sounded. Maybe finding a cleaner OG would be the way to go? Looks like you could still find a good copy in the $15-20 range.

I have this one:
That’s the one I have. It does sound great.

The new EBTG is a really nice pressing. Half-speed mastered by Mike Showell. The half-speed mastering really suited the reissues of Amplified Heart and Walking Wounded (and Temperamental too I hear, but I don't have that one yet). This one is no different. The new record is pressed at Pallas and is super quiet too - even on colored vinyl, which is what I have - which is important because about half the tracks are softer. Just really good all around. My favorite new album of 2023 for the quality of the pressing.

This is the version I have:

Last edited:
The new EBTG is a really nice pressing. Half-speed mastered by Mike Showell. The half-speed mastering really suited the reissues of Amplified Heart and Walking Wounded (and Temperamental too I hear, but I don't have that one yet). This one is no different. The new record is pressed at Pallas and is super quiet too - even on colored vinyl, which is what I have - which is important because bout half the tracks are softer. Just really good all around. My favorite new album of 2023 for the quality of the pressing.

I haven't had a chance to spin mine yet so I'm thrilled to hear this! And I agree on the other EBTG albums you mentioned - they all sound great. Including Temperamental :)

I haven't had a chance to spin mine yet so I'm thrilled to hear this! And I agree on the other EBTG albums you mentioned - they all sound great. Including Temperamental :)

I couldn't wait and spun mine right away :) . Couldn't be happier with it (well, other than not being quick enough on announcement day to get a signed copy).

I couldn't wait and spun mine right away :) . Couldn't be happier with it (well, other than not being quick enough on announcement day to get a signed copy).
I have a small stack to clean and then I'll play mine! I got the version with a signed insert from Bullmoose - it's on black vinyl but I'm ok with that.

The new EBTG is a really nice pressing. Half-speed mastered by Mike Showell. The half-speed mastering really suited the reissues of Amplified Heart and Walking Wounded (and Temperamental too I hear, but I don't have that one yet). This one is no different. The new record is pressed at Pallas and is super quiet too - even on colored vinyl, which is what I have - which is important because about half the tracks are softer. Just really good all around. My favorite new album of 2023 for the quality of the pressing.

Can concur. It’s awesome and sounds great!

I know of a shop selling a signed copy (or at least showing that listing on their website) for $32 US. Not sure how awful their shipping to you would be, but let me know if you want the link.

i'd probably try to just find a clean version of that then. reviews on the ROG seem a bit mixed.
I tried the recent Rhino clear vinyl, same as the ROG, but was not impressed. I love the record. My go-to is a japanese OG that sounds amazing. In comparison, the Rhino/ROG is cut at a much lower volume, sounds fairly dull, and misses much of the nuance in what is a very good recording.

I recently shared this recording in the “What’s Spinning” thread and fairly raved about Blue Thumb Records’ overall excellence. Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks’ (featuring the Lickettes) Where’s the Money is my favorite of the bunch. Funny, wry, cynical it’s a live recording with a great balance of direct and reflected sound. Handclaps sound real. Find a clean copy and you won’t be disappointed. IMG_2491.jpeg

If you like acapella at all check out Take Six’s doo be doo wop bop. Reprise 1-25670. Funnily enough, it starts with an orchestra warming up and, after a few seconds of this, all you hear for the rest of the record is voices only. Released in 1988 it suffers a minimum of digititis but nothing offensive to me. Song subject matter is gospel in nature but it’s really easy to be swept away by the glorious voices in interesting arrangements. M- for less than $15 on cogs.

IMG_2492.jpeg

Back