Nom nom nom - Food Thread

Korean BBQ chicken sandwich and parmigiano cheese & garlic tater tots

zB1ZF99.jpg

Behold, purists, and recoil: I wanted to marinate some mahi for fish tacos tonight but as I was putting it together I realized I don't have any limes (or even any lemons). I ended up mixing oil with a few splashes of OJ and Rose's Lime Juice, but it was too sweet and didn't have any acidic bite. I hit it with some cider vinegar, and that got me a little closer. With the chopped garlic, jalapeno, and spices, I think I'll be in the right ZIP code after it has a chance to sit for a while, but I'm really counting on Rose's + vinegar to do some heavy lifting for me. How much have I miscalculated here?

Behold, purists, and recoil: I wanted to marinate some mahi for fish tacos tonight but as I was putting it together I realized I don't have any limes (or even any lemons). I ended up mixing oil with a few splashes of OJ and Rose's Lime Juice, but it was too sweet and didn't have any acidic bite. I hit it with some cider vinegar, and that got me a little closer. With the chopped garlic, jalapeno, and spices, I think I'll be in the right ZIP code after it has a chance to sit for a while, but I'm really counting on Rose's + vinegar to do some heavy lifting for me. How much have I miscalculated here?
I mean, Rose’s Lime is basically just HFCS, lime flavoring and citric acid…

Yeah -- the flavor is there but the acid is getting lost completely. I didn't want to use too much though at risk of making the whole thing way too sweet, hence the vinegar.
I honestly think you can do without the citrus since you don't have it- desired seasoning and oil is more than enough for me! if fish sits for too long (like 15+ min) with lime juice, you pre-cook it anyway like ceviche. if you were to use a sugar water like Rose's for a hint of lime and sweet (which isn't bad, I use honey with some fish), keep it at a tablespoon or less.

I mostly squeeze my lime on fish tacos after cooking personally, not for the marinade. white vinegar or red wine vinegar is great for adding a little bite to the marinade like you're doing, but you'll have to run to the store if you truly desire the citrus flavor.

Afghan food for Mother's Day lunch. Kabuli palaw, lamb chops, naan, lemon broiled salmon with mango chutney and veggies, bottle of Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino 2015, raspberry, lemon, and pear tarts, red velvet chocolate cupcakes, and chocolate cake

E0-RphfWYAE-DFW.jpg

E0-RphgWQAAIE-D.jpg

E0-RphgWYAIDiFI.jpg

E0-SNxUX0AkILYp.jpg

E0-SN0vWYAA_eCp.jpg

E0-SN5HWQAEk4XD.jpg

E0-S-x1WYAcgAOk.jpg

E0-XwYqXoAM8nDY.jpg

Afghan food for Mother's Day lunch. Kabuli palaw, lamb chops, naan, lemon broiled salmon with mango chutney and veggies, bottle of Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino 2015, raspberry, lemon, and pear tarts, red velvet chocolate cupcakes, and chocolate cake

E0-RphfWYAE-DFW.jpg

E0-RphgWQAAIE-D.jpg

E0-RphgWYAIDiFI.jpg

E0-SNxUX0AkILYp.jpg

E0-SN0vWYAA_eCp.jpg

E0-SN5HWQAEk4XD.jpg

E0-S-x1WYAcgAOk.jpg

E0-XwYqXoAM8nDY.jpg
I always get excited when I see you've posted in here.

except when I'm already hungry, and then I avoid the thread haha

was the kabuli palaw steamed in a pan with saffron rice (I think that's what that is) or just in the pan for serving?

Back