Nom nom nom - Food Thread

Crawfish boils are so much fun.

On a different side of the food world, my update for @Kris: those morels were enough for 3 meals, the best of which were tonight’s homemade crepes (the basic Julia Child recipe) stuffed with morels (again pan fried with butter, wild leeks, salt & pepper) and raclette cheese. If something can literally be *chef’s kiss*, that was it.

Crawfish boils are so much fun.

On a different side of the food world, my update for @Kris: those morels were enough for 3 meals, the best of which were tonight’s homemade crepes (the basic Julia Child recipe) stuffed with morels (again pan fried with butter, wild leeks, salt & pepper) and raclette cheese. If something can literally be *chef’s kiss*, that was it.
Mushrooms are the best food on earth lol. I was at the farmers market this weekend and they had so many kinds of mushrooms. I wanted the hen of the woods so bad. My grandfather would forage for mushrooms and my grandmother made potato mushroom soup from them and it was the best. I wish I knew what kind of mushrooms he found.

Finally going to attempt to smoke a full brisket for memorial day!

I've had an electric smoker for like 4 years and tons tons of ribs, butts, etc. But I have high standards for myself so I haven't tried brisket (which is notoriously difficult). Got a nice 12 pounder from Costco and am going to give it a shot.

I had the best and biggest breakfast burrito of my life yesterday. If any of you are ever in SoCal near Santa Ana, I highly recommend Nate's Korner.
20190522_112753.jpg
This was the 'Nate's Favorite"
2 Egg Whites, Black Beans, Grilled Onions, Grilled Peppers, Mushrooms, Hashbrowns, Serano Peppers, Avocado, Cheddar Cheese, Salsa, & Tapatio on a Whole Wheat Tortilla Wrap.

I've had an electric smoker for like 4 years and tons tons of ribs, butts, etc. But I have high standards for myself so I haven't tried brisket (which is notoriously difficult). Got a nice 12 pounder from Costco and am going to give it a shot.
Update:

It was incredible

B4CED9EA-922A-4C0D-8E0D-C63D8C08F636.jpeg

I got a grill for the balcony and broke it in today.

Blackened chicken sandwiches with grilled red peppers and onions. Topped with pepper jack cheese and harissa-sumac yogurt-mayo. Grilled asparagus.

I'll be using the rest of the blackening spice tomorrow for some grilled cajun wings. My local produce market had some nice garlic scapes and shisito peppers to grill up too.

IMG_20190601_174223.jpg

So me and my bread machine have got well aquatinted with one an other this weekend. On Friday I made a brown sofa bread and overnight set a rye & white loaf. On Saturday I made a batch of pizza dough and tonight I made these two...

...on the left is ginger bread, one of my favourite cakes, and on the right treacle bread.

03E8E12E-4905-4906-A86D-B6337F13984E.jpeg

The point is easy, the flat's a bitch.

Made some pasta tonight. I love the process of working the dough and rolling it out.View attachment 4690

But I always seem to forget that fresh pasta cooks in about 2 seconds... Final product was good, just a little overcooked.

View attachment 4692

Looks dope. I’m not really allowed to make fresh pasta anymore as I always get really frustrated and mad. Although I was trying to do it in humid Houston so it was almost impossible to get it to be the right consistency.

Looks dope. I’m not really allowed to make fresh pasta anymore as I always get really frustrated and mad. Although I was trying to do it in humid Houston so it was almost impossible to get it to be the right consistency.
Before I got that roller, at least 80% of the time there was something horribly wrong with any fresh pasta I would make. The roller is really forgiving and will do a lot of the hard work for you... I would never have even attempted on a week night before I got it

Back