Nom nom nom - Food Thread

Anyone have an Italian Beef recipe they love? I’ve been wanting to make it for years and have an electric meat slicer on the way. I figured Super Bowl Sunday would be a perfect time for it.

I kinda want to do the Serious Eats recipe but it looks like overkill. I have the time though lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyr
Anyone have an Italian Beef recipe they love? I’ve been wanting to make it for years and have an electric meat slicer on the way. I figured Super Bowl Sunday would be a perfect time for it.

I kinda want to do the Serious Eats recipe but it looks like overkill. I have the time though lol.
I really like Ethan's other stuff, but in all honesty, I have not tried this (it just looks really good):

I have tried this (and it's wonderful) but this is Chef John's stewed italian beef sandwich, so...not exactly what you're asking about but at least kinda sorta near there:

I really like Ethan's other stuff, but in all honesty, I have not tried this (it just looks really good):

I have tried this (and it's wonderful) but this is Chef John's stewed italian beef sandwich, so...not exactly what you're asking about but at least kinda sorta near there:

Thank you! I did watch that first one a couple days ago. Glad to know you’ve tried other recipes of his. Sounds like this is the winner.

I’ve tried other Chef John recipes. My wife makes his croissant recipe and butter chicken and they are both very good.

I do the pickled onion recipe pretty regularly, the recent pita pizza thing is great and incredibly easy/versatile and his crispy fries recipe is pretty good but honestly kind of a lot of work for my taste -- i have found this one to be the easiest and the recipe that i'm most likely to actually do is

(the TL;DR is "cut into fry shapes and put into pot with cold oil, put on high and when it hits 350F, the fries will float and they'll be done")

I do the pickled onion recipe pretty regularly, the recent pita pizza thing is great and incredibly easy/versatile and his crispy fries recipe is pretty good but honestly kind of a lot of work for my taste -- i have found this one to be the easiest and the recipe that i'm most likely to actually do is

(the TL;DR is "cut into fry shapes and put into pot with cold oil, put on high and when it hits 350F, the fries will float and they'll be done")

I'll have to try this.

if only because it's going to take the same amount of time or less, if you're doing the fries, I would highly recommend the pickled onions as well - ethan's video can be found from his italian beef video linked above, or here's Glen's but it's all the same and pretty easy: equal amounts of water and vinegar, boiled with a tablespoon of salt per cup of liquid, put in jar with thinly-sliced onions (red for pretty colors if you like) and other veg (I like carrots and daikon tossed in, it all works amazing on homemade bahn mi's but YMMV)

if only because it's going to take the same amount of time or less, if you're doing the fries, I would highly recommend the pickled onions as well - ethan's video can be found from his italian beef video linked above, or here's Glen's but it's all the same and pretty easy: equal amounts of water and vinegar, boiled with a tablespoon of salt per cup of liquid, put in jar with thinly-sliced onions (red for pretty colors if you like) and other veg (I like carrots and daikon tossed in, it all works amazing on homemade bahn mi's but YMMV)
I do this but add a healthy amount of sugar to the brine.

Made Okonomiyaki for dinner last night, had enough leftover for lunch today. Homemade mayo, following a recipe similar to Kewpie. One of my favorite dishes to make. Not perfect by any means, but the taste is superb. Also, I've made it with regular, napa and savoy cabbages, and savoy is by far the tastiest in my experience. It's way easier to make than you might think, the hardest part is flipping it!

Okonomiyaki.jpg

Made Okonomiyaki for dinner last night, had enough leftover for lunch today. Homemade mayo, following a recipe similar to Kewpie. One of my favorite dishes to make. Not perfect by any means, but the taste is superb. Also, I've made it with regular, napa and savoy cabbages, and savoy is by far the tastiest in my experience. It's way easier to make than you might think, the hardest part is flipping it!

View attachment 87459
absolutely love okonomiyaki. you can order aonori and katsuobushi on Amazon to complete the classic condiments!

absolutely love okonomiyaki. you can order aonori and katsuobushi on Amazon to complete the classic condiments!
It is very good with katsuobushi, haven't tried with aonori. My wife doens's like fish or seaweed, so I usually just omit that portion of the recipe. I do use dashi though.

Patrick Hallahan - Drummer For My Morning Jacket - brings you a new cooking show:

IN THE KITCHEN
WITH PATRICK HALLAHAN
Friends! Patrick here with some exciting news. Today I announce my very first cooking show — In The Kitchen with Patrick Hallahan, a three-part series beginning Sunday February 21.

I’ve spent a great deal of my life watching cooking shows with my family. Jacques Pepin, Julia Child, Martin Yan, Justin Wilson, James Barber...these people were like family members.

I’ll show you how to elevate your ingredients, minimize waste, and stretch your dollar, and all the while having a blast in the kitchen.

You can sign up for all three or individual shows now. There's a VIP option which includes a virtual after-dinner aperitif, a chat about the recipes, and general conversation about food, all following the final episode. We will also send all VIPs an autographed recipe from the series!

All purchases include a curated Spotify playlist to set the vibe for a special night of cooking. If you cannot join live, all bundles and episode purchases include 60 days of archived viewing.

See you in the kitchen!
— Patrick

This is what happens when I listen to a dancey playlist while cooking. I end up making way too much food for one human to eat. Oh well, leftovers for dinner tomorrow 🤷🏻‍♂️

Linguine, truffle butter, cauliflower, shallots, garlic, sweet tomatoes, shrimp, and the leftover ponte L’eveque cheese. Seasoned with Celtic salt, caraway, oregano, timut pepper, and a dash o’ Thai chili.

7DF0C6EB-7A26-4F0C-A436-14E312448640.jpeg

shared a prime ribeye with the wife. sous vide for a few hours (from frozen), then pan seared, finished with butter, sliced, and served over a bed of zhoug (a pesto-like condiment of parsley, cilantro, jalapeños, garlic, spices, and oil) and greek yogurt. served with duck fat roasted potatoes and a green salad.

uZ5bkRX.jpg

Back