Nom nom nom - Food Thread

The latest Hello Fresh Recipe I made was called Mango Tango Tacos. Like several other recipes I have earmarked to buy the ingredients to make on my own, they contain poblano peppers.

And apparently poblano peppers are very regional. I have learned that Market Basket, Shaws and Stop & Shop do not carry them in the North East. My best best bet is trying to find a Mexican grocer somewhere or by canned / jarred poblano peppers which Market Basket does have from time to time.

Why are poblano peppers so hard to find in the North East? And does anyone have any other ideas to where get my hands on them?

That’s a bummer about the poblanos. We’re able to get them pretty easily in the mid-atlantic area.

The latest Hello Fresh Recipe I made was called Mango Tango Tacos. Like several other recipes I have earmarked to buy the ingredients to make on my own, they contain poblano peppers.

And apparently poblano peppers are very regional. I have learned that Market Basket, Shaws and Stop & Shop do not carry them in the North East. My best best bet is trying to find a Mexican grocer somewhere or by canned / jarred poblano peppers which Market Basket does have from time to time.

Why are poblano peppers so hard to find in the North East? And does anyone have any other ideas to where get my hands on them?
Do you have a market that carries Latin American products? If I can’t find them I always substitute Anaheim Chilies. They’re close in heat level.

Do you have a market that carries Latin American products? If I can’t find them I always substitute Anaheim Chilies. They’re close in heat level.

There is a small Spanish grocery store in Salem. Never been inside it. It's the type of place that you need to walk too, they have no parking lot. Not sure if they have fresh produce or not but I could try them.

this world without abundant pepper access is so foreign.

not sure if any of these are easier to find at all, but poblano substitutes: Anaheim, Hatch, or Cubanelles. chile ancho is dried poblanos, and there are methods for rehydrating them online- they will have a smokier flavor profile than fresh, but are good for slicing and adding flavor to a dish. in a dire pinch, you can use bell peppers. you'll lose the heat and flavor of poblano, but would be a textural substitute and then you could play with easier-to-find seasonings (or dried ancho powder) to work on the flavor component.

I can usually find poblanos and cubanelles in the supermarkets around here and italian long hots are a Philly speciality so you can find those everywhere even though I never see them anywhere else. The fancier markets will have a hatch roaster late summer and you can usually find shishitos late spring through early fall. I've had a hard time finding Thai birds in my area but I'm about to move to somewhere a few blocks from our city's little saigon so hopefully that'll change.

I suppose it depends on your projected use, but you can just buy dried Ancho chiles and hydrate them -- "poblano" is a fresh ancho and anchos are dried poblanos. Anyway, re-hydrated they're fine to use in sauces or moles or whatever although I suppose anything where you want crunch or body like a fresh pepper you're outta gas. Also FWIW a lot of places will mislabel poblanos as "pasilla" peppers.

I suppose it depends on your projected use, but you can just buy dried Ancho chiles and hydrate them -- "poblano" is a fresh ancho and anchos are dried poblanos. Anyway, re-hydrated they're fine to use in sauces or moles or whatever although I suppose anything where you want crunch or body like a fresh pepper you're outta gas. Also FWIW a lot of places will mislabel poblanos as "pasilla" peppers.

Pasilla rings a bell. I think I've read that name on the signs a few times when looking for poblano peppers. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Reactions: Tyr
Back